Calling all Modified pitchers!!

petebanta

Addicted to Softballfans
I would be careful about moving from side to side on the pitching rubber. If the batter picks up on it, he'll know the location of the pitch. Just my 2cents...

Oh, and I also started to get some strength in my forehand this year becuase I worked on arm speed in the off season only to come in the first game and strain my forearm muscles. Threw pretty damn hard though, but now I have to play catch up... so def. strengthening shoulder, bi's/tri's, along with forearm will help in speed.

You can still move to left (to keep more outside on a righty), but then throw more to inside of plate (try to jam them). ie I am a lefty. But I do try to hide it when they look away/down/slide subtlely, if I can.

True dat on all arm strengthening and stretching. I find that modified is much tougher on the arm than hi-arc, for sure. I do lock my elbow on the back, for max swing space. It is straining the "tennis elbow" tendon some...

Palmball

Addicted to Softballfans
2 types of pitchers

From the modified games I have played/watched there seems to be two types of pitchers. 1) throws a knuckleball works the count and the batter or; 2) a fastball/changeup pitcher who has the strikeout ability but also is much more likely to be taken deep. In everyone's opinion what is the more effective way to pitch?

nyhack56

Addicted to Softballfans
From the modified games I have played/watched there seems to be two types of pitchers. 1) throws a knuckleball works the count and the batter or; 2) a fastball/changeup pitcher who has the strikeout ability but also is much more likely to be taken deep. In everyone's opinion what is the more effective way to pitch?

I don't look at it as one type of pitcher versus another. It's not about how hard you throw, it's about hitting your spots and staying away from the middle of the plate. Throwing a knuckleball or a fastball/change doesn't matter that much. Hitting the corners regardless of how hard you throw matters. Changing speeds, even if you don't throw hard, matters. Changing planes (hard up and in, soft low and away, etc) matters. Mixing it up. That makes you effective.

I throw pretty hard, but when I leave it over the plate it gets hit. I've given up my share of HRs. When I move that pitch about 4 inches inside, it becomes a ground out. When I move that pitch about 4 inches outside, it becomes a pop out. If I throw 3-4 fastballs in a row that a guy is battling me on, I throw a change up away and he swings through it twice.

You don't have to pitch hard, you just have to pitch smart.

patdapitcher

Addicted to Softballfans
That a boy Hacker your learning! Pitching is all about location, location, location. ........ and changing speeds. The question I have is what do you find hardest to hit? I find that when a pitcher doesn't throw the same speed on every pitch the timing of the hitter is off, then changing the eye level just adds to the challenge.

puckeater00

Addicted to Softballfans
I have a very simple formula. I throw fastballs up and in all day, all night. Then when a hitter shows he can handle it I break out the change or low and away. When I'm in the "ZONE" it just plain works for me. I throw hard enough to make it difficult to get the good part of the bat on the ball. The guys who are quick enough to get to it generally pull it way foul. Most of the hits I give up are either "dying quails" or "ground balls with eyes". I do miss my spot sometimes and get whiplash watching the ball clear the fence. Since I'm just getting back, my legs are weak and my velocity and location isn't where I'd like it to be yet. My last 2 innings Sunday night I finally started to feel comfortable. Too bad I'd already given up 10 runs in the first 4 innings.:eek:

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
We've got a 5 division, 40 team league in Toronto that has been full for several years.

I think the only reason there aren't more people playing is because not enough people want to pitch, or take the time to get good at it.

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
Yep. Definitely. Also, not as easy to hit the ball 300' in modified.

Ya, that's what makes it a better game in my opinion. You don't have to worry about figuring out rules to limit home runs. DBO, limits, middle shots, weaklings hitting home runs. People on here are complaining about these things constantly, and they essentially don't exist in modified.

But then again if you can't run, can't field, and can't live with a BA under .600, then it's not really for you.

blakcherry329

I hear ya. Pitching is not very important in slow pitch, as long as you throw strikes. In modified you have more control over the game.
well I can't run, but I still enjoy it. lol.

nyhack56

Addicted to Softballfans
I still find leagues to pitch in around Old Bridge and Cliffwood in NJ, and they just restarted the league down in Seaside this past summer.

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
I know I'm reviving an old thread here, but looking for some tips. Also, all the pics that used to be on here are gone.

I'm planning to do some pitching this year, and would like to practice 2 or 3 pitches over the next few months. I'm hoping to be able to throw a fastball or drop ball, a riser, and something with horizontal movement.

The style is 10-man, but pretty liberal. No limitations on back swing, figure 8 is fine, behind the back is fine.

Specifically, I'm looking for advice on:
- grips and seams (# of fingers and where)
- wrist action and release point tips
- velocity to maximize movement

TIA

WiLD53

i don't pitch modified but i have been warming up with a windmill motion ever since i was 20 and i got tendonitis in my elbow... i always start out throwing about 15-20 fast pitches because it loosens my shoulder and elbow up slower... so i know for a fact this slider works with that delivery... for anyone who hasn't seen my thread on the slow pitch slider yet...

for the modified pitchers, the same physics that i use to get my slider in slow pitch can be used here as well... in fact, reading some descriptions of the modified curves used in this thread i find most like the 2 seam fastball grip which means you have the smooth spot in between your thumb and index finger... in other words, you're already using this and don't know it... if you think it's curving because you impart a lot of spin then i ask... with this grip, you only have 2 seams involved as the ball rotates... shouldn't you get more curve with 4 seams rotating through the air? that's what all the spin is for... so the seams create the magnus effect... if you throw this same pitch so that 4 seams are involved... do you get more curve? or no curve? i predict no curve because the smooth spot won't be oriented correctly that way...

try making a bullseye ball and see if it's true... if so... then you can refine the pitch as well as change the amount of curve you get by merely rotating the ball a little in your hand... also... keep in mind... with slow pitch the smooth spot that's used to get the slide is between your thumb and index finger... with fast pitch or modified the smooth spot you will be using will be on the reverse side where your pinky is... so when you grip the bullseye ball, the offset bullseye should be the one you can see...

if you're looking to develop a curve [slider] then follow the instructions in the slow pitch thread keeping in mind you are putting the opposite spin on it from slow pitch... also remember... the amount of spin is less important than the orientation of the smooth spot... this should also make it easier to throw acurately... and lastly... put the front bullseye on the opposite side...

also... with this technique... in theory, you should be able to get movement in any direction if you orient the smooth spot and the seam correctly... just something else to ponder...

here's the link to the slow pitch slider thread... let me know if i can help since, even though i don't pitch modified, i do have experience thowing this pitch...:cool:

http://forums.softballfans.com/threads/pitchers-slow-pitch-slider.1447114/

Last edited:

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
I tried out the pitch this weekend (slider according to Wild53), and here is the best video I got (sorry for the terrible quality). The distance was probably 35ft, and thrown maybe 30-35mph. It's hard to tell from my crap video, but it moved from the right side of the plate to the left half, maybe 6".

When thrown harder, it didn't move as much, but with an extra 10ft it might. I will say that the ball moved more than I have ever been able to get it to move with spin/magnus effect, and at 46ft it would probably go 6-9". I suppose if there was enough spin on it, it should also break down.
giphy.gif

I used a grip similar to the split at 3:22, but with 3 fingers, index and ring on the seams and released with my fingers pointing toward my shoes (a bit to the left)

This pitch would be good thrown low and outside to a righty as an off-speed pitch. If thrown inside and the batter offers at it, it'll get crushed.

WiLD53

thanks kvander.... you've been a big help in my slider thread and now here too... nothing's better than someone with first hand success at this...

actually, when i throw it i get a left - right slide... i assume you're right handed so you're doing it somewhat differently from me... as you can see though, all it takes is reorienting the seam to the other side to make it break either way... if you're left handed then a right -left movement is what i'd expect... even though i use a bullseye ball when i warm up i don't put much effort or thought into this refining this slider...

also, if you want a slide and some down break, try to get the smooth spot oriented to do that... whichever direction the seam is on is the way it will break...

it doesn't look like you have a bullseye on that ball... if you want to be able to see what's happening i suggest making one... i'll add the pics i have showing how to make one here... in fact i might as well add the file that explains the slow pitch slider so no one has to go there to see the whole discussion...

Attachments

• SLOW PITCH SLIDER.zip
    23.1 KB · Views: 10
  • BULLSEYE 05D.jpg
    BULLSEYE 05D.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 10
  • BULLSEYE 05E.jpg
    BULLSEYE 05E.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 11
  • BULLSEYE 05F.jpg
    BULLSEYE 05F.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 11
  • BULLSEYE 05G.jpg
    BULLSEYE 05G.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

WiLD53

kvander... are you throwing this the same way as i throw the slow pitch slider? with your hand turned in? if so, try turning your hand out as you come through and you will get left to right movement... plus mine seems to dip naturally... it's a much better pitch against righties... :cool:

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
kvander... are you throwing this the same way as i throw the slow pitch slider? with your hand turned in? if so, try turning your hand out as you come through and you will get left to right movement... plus mine seems to dip naturally... it's a much better pitch against righties... :cool:
The smooth spot on the ball is on the right (my right) when I throw, with movement to the left.

WiLD53

it sounds like you're using the same grip and release as i use in slow pitch and just throwing it harder with the modified motion... if that's correct let me know...

i can show you how to make it break left to right... :cool: