Calling all Modified pitchers!!

WiLD53

here's some pictures explaining the spin orientation in relation to the direction of the slide... these are done from the catchers view so all the terminology will relate to that and in terms of a right handed hitter to avoid confusion... normally when i'm talking about pitching, it will be from the pitchers view point... :cool:

Attachments

• SPIN ORIENTATION (1).jpg
    SPIN ORIENTATION (1).jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 25
  • SPIN ORIENTATION (2).jpg
    SPIN ORIENTATION (2).jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 21
  • SPIN ORIENTATION (3).jpg
    SPIN ORIENTATION (3).jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 17
  • SPIN ORIENTATION (4).jpg
    SPIN ORIENTATION (4).jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 15
  • SPIN ORIENTATION (5).jpg
    SPIN ORIENTATION (5).jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 14

Chris00129

here's some pictures explaining the spin orientation in relation to the direction of the slide... these are done from the catchers view so all the terminology will relate to that and in terms of a right handed hitter to avoid confusion... normally when i'm talking about pitching, it will be from the pitchers view point... :cool:

Thanks for this

Chris00129

2 types of pitchers

From the modified games I have played/watched there seems to be two types of pitchers. 1) throws a knuckleball works the count and the batter or; 2) a fastball/changeup pitcher who has the strikeout ability but also is much more likely to be taken deep. In everyone's opinion what is the more effective way to pitch?

I just switched to a knuckle ball style and feel this has been working well. I need more games to be certain of course.

WiLD53

Thanks for this
i've been checking out a fastpitch site lately and they post a lot of good slow motion stuff... here's a video of rachel garcia throwing this pitch ... the first is a riseball... 2nd a curve away from a right handed batter... and the third is a screwball that get's cutoff before you can see it... watch the different logos on the ball to see the spin... however, she uses a technic they call IR [internal rotation] to get all that speed... [click on this link... it won't load]

https://i.makeagif.com/media/5-25-2018/76kq2G.gif

which seems to be like a "slingshot" in modified... they say it's all about finger pressure to get the differnt orientations for this movement... i don't know what method you use, but if you can figure out how to get these differnt orientations with the spin through the smooth spot... you will get movement... good luck...:cool:

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
Before this post got derailed with the "slider" (which is really not effective), I posed this question, with no real response. Anyone have some advice?

I'm planning to do some pitching this year, and would like to practice 2 or 3 pitches over the next few months. I'm hoping to be able to throw a fastball or drop ball, a riser, and something with horizontal movement.

The style is 10-man, but pretty liberal. No limitations on back swing, figure 8 is fine, behind the back is fine.

Specifically, I'm looking for advice on:
- grips and seams (# of fingers and where)
- wrist action and release point tips
- velocity to maximize movement

WiLD53

Before this post got derailed with the "slider" (which is really not effective), I posed this question, with no real response. Anyone have some advice?

i have some more advice... watch rachel garcia use this pitch to get all of her pitches... this is her rise ball in slow motion ... watch the smooth spot and the seams... also notice she uses a technique called IR [Internal Rotation] you should look into using that technique... notice how her hand flutters after release... :cool:

Last edited:

gofisch

I just reread this entire thread. Boy did I need it. I haven't been pitching as much and have gotten lazy in my focus and paying attention to what I'm doing.