Any Calling guys out for out of the box

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
What is up with umps on power trips calling guys out for stepping out of the box when 6 games have been played on the field and no box is visible? IMO no box=you cant call ppl out for stepping out of it. Judgement calls lead to more problems cuz biases and personal things between umpire and player. To go along with that i have only seen it 3 times. It was the same ump, same player, and same situation every time. Happened again Saturday. We were up by a bunch so he went back to the dugout but i was ondeck and jawing at the ump. Batter gets back in the dugout and says "wow" and is tossed for one word while ive been in the umps ear for a full minute. Kind of a rant but also a serious question. How can umps justify this?:confused:

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
Some umps just really like calling guys out for this. I personally do it VERY rarely, and it must be obvious for me to call it. If it's early in the evening and the box is still there I'll call guys out if they blatantly step out of the box. I definitely don't make a huge point of this though.

Thats the way it should be. If theres no box then you cant call someone out of it IMO and seems like you feel the same way and in our single ump crews it seems like there is more important things to be focusing on than calling ppl out for stepping out of imaginary box

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
If you think it's because the umpire is power-tripping, then you seriously need a clue.

Just because the lines are gone doesn't mean that the box doesn't exist. It exists, but I'll give you a bit of leeway on it. But if you're clearly out of the box when you make contact, you're damn right I'll call it.

Why? You're gaining an advantage by stepping out of the box to hit an otherwise unhittable pitch. And by stepping out/back, you're able to pull the ball harder down the line.

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
If you think it's because the umpire is power-tripping, then you seriously need a clue.

Just because the lines are gone doesn't mean that the box doesn't exist. It exists, but I'll give you a bit of leeway on it. But if you're clearly out of the box when you make contact, you're damn right I'll call it.

Why? You're gaining an advantage by stepping out of the box to hit an otherwise unhittable pitch. And by stepping out/back, you're able to pull the ball harder down the line.

The rule question part was why would you do it. The fact it was this ump for the third time and this same player for the thrid time and all the problems we have had with this ump before was the rant about how this ump is biased and on a power trip. The township Rec Director told us they have had numerous complaints about this ump(who happens to be the ump director) and if they had someone willing to do his job they wouldve gotten rid of him

Jbird11

In order for your foot to be COMPLETELY outside the chalk when no chalk lines exist, I find it very hard to believe that an umpire can measure visually where the box MIGHT have been had the chalk lines still been there.

If you're not stepping on the plate, I really think more umpires should 'pass' on calling batters out for being out of the box.

I don't think most umps realize just how big that box is, and then I don't think that they totally understand the fact that the ENTIRE FOOT needs to be completely outside the box WHILE CONTACTING the ball...

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
In order for your foot to be COMPLETELY outside the chalk when no chalk lines exist, I find it very hard to believe that an umpire can measure visually where the box MIGHT have been had the chalk lines still been there.

If you're not stepping on the plate, I really think more umpires should 'pass' on calling batters out for being out of the box.

I don't think most umps realize just how big that box is, and then I don't think that they totally understand the fact that the ENTIRE FOOT needs to be completely outside the box WHILE CONTACTING the ball...

Front to back, I'll give you a LOT of leeway.

Side to side, I'll give you SOME leeway.

I used to prepare the diamonds before calling the games. I know exactly how long/wide the batters' boxes are, as well as where the lines WOULD be if they were present.

So no, I won't give a "pass" if the lines aren't drawn. The box is still there.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
The rule question part was why would you do it. The fact it was this ump for the third time and this same player for the thrid time and all the problems we have had with this ump before was the rant about how this ump is biased and on a power trip. The township Rec Director told us they have had numerous complaints about this ump(who happens to be the ump director) and if they had someone willing to do his job they wouldve gotten rid of him

This is nothing more than a thinly veiled rant about an umpire you dislike.

VanSin23

NC Freedom Sports
Unlessthe batter steps on the plate or his whole foot is in front of the plate I usually refrain from making this call if the box is gone.

johnsonrod

Starting Player

question for you.

in a rec league game, 3-0 count, ball well out of the strike zone, batter swings bc they dont want to walk but come out of the batters box, are you calling the batter out every time or do you give them some leeway given the situation?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
question for you.

in a rec league game, 3-0 count, ball well out of the strike zone, batter swings bc they dont want to walk but come out of the batters box, are you calling the batter out every time or do you give them some leeway given the situation?

They have to actually make contact with the ball in order to be called for being out of the box.

johnsonrod

Starting Player
They have to actually make contact with the ball in order to be called for being out of the box.

i was trying to imply the batter swings and hits a ball that is so far out of the strike zone they have to leave the batters box to hit it. ie RHB, ball 2' outside, batters left foot steps out in front of home plate

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
i was trying to imply the batter swings and hits a ball that is so far out of the strike zone they have to leave the batters box to hit it. ie RHB, ball 2' outside, batters left foot steps out in front of home plate

It's not my job to judge whether the batter did this to keep his turn at bat, nor should I even consider it as an umpire.

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
This is nothing more than a thinly veiled rant about an umpire you dislike.

It is a personal thing between him and our family that leads to the crap calls he makes. How are you gonna listen to me jaw at you and call you jim joyce and stevie wonder from the time he called the batter ahead of me out to after a pitch in my atbat and then when he gets back to the dugout and says "wow" call time and toss him. He has told our team to go play somewhere else multiple times and now has multiple teams in the league sick of him. I wouldnt be suprised if he doesnt get replaced that league will be dead in 3 years

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
It is a personal thing between him and our family that leads to the crap calls he makes. How are you gonna listen to me jaw at you and call you jim joyce and stevie wonder from the time he called the batter ahead of me out to after a pitch in my atbat and then when he gets back to the dugout and says "wow" call time and toss him. He has told our team to go play somewhere else multiple times and now has multiple teams in the league sick of him. I wouldnt be suprised if he doesnt get replaced that league will be dead in 3 years

So fine. You don't like him. What does this have to do with calling someone out of the box?

The bottom line is that YES, he CAN and SHOULD make that call, with or without the lines.

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
So fine. You don't like him. What does this have to do with calling someone out of the box?

The bottom line is that YES, he CAN and SHOULD make that call, with or without the lines.

That was also in the OP. Ive seen someone called out for being out of the box 3 times in my life......all three times that ump, all three times the same batter. Ive seen other times where it couldve been called by him that wasnt that was more blatant. Also in the OP it was said this is 2 parts.....first part asking how umps justify calling ppl out of the box with no visible lines, second part rant about the particular umpire

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
That was also in the OP. Ive seen someone called out for being out of the box 3 times in my life......all three times that ump, all three times the same batter. Ive seen other times where it couldve been called by him that wasnt that was more blatant. Also in the OP it was said this is 2 parts.....first part asking how umps justify calling ppl out of the box with no visible lines, second part rant about the particular umpire

Fair enough. Consider your question answered.

jcinco5

Part Time Player
we had a douche bag draw a corner in the batters box and say if we stepped over it we were out. We had the commissioner address the issue with him. Now it's pretty lenient.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Huh? :confused:

Which rule exactly do you think prevents a batter from moving forward within the batter's box as he attempts to hit the ball?

No kidding...

That box is 21 friggin' square feet!

Maybe he's thinking of what I call the "Happy Gilmore Rule" (7-6-F)...

mrcub8

maybe next year!-Cub fans
I only call a player out if they obvisously step out, or on the plate

this is how the UIC and dep UIC of MN Utrip rule on this issue....

They will not call out of the box (no chalk) unless in their judgement the batter obtained an unfair advantage in the process........

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
this is how the UIC and dep UIC of MN Utrip rule on this issue....

They will not call out of the box (no chalk) unless in their judgement the batter obtained an unfair advantage in the process........

Right, and while that's not how the rule is written, nor is it a factor in determining when to apply it. But it is exactly what the rule is meant to address: a batter gaining an unfair advantage.