Any Can I wear 2 gloves in the outfield?

glend123

Addicted to Softballfans
1 batting glove and 1 fielding glove? It's going to be 28 deg. for my game tomorrow night and I might want to wear the batting glove. I had an ump a few years ago tell me to remove the batting glove because you can't wear 2 in the field.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Umpire is an idiot. Speaking USA, there is no limit on how many gloves one can wear, and for that matter, there is no requirement the player wear a glove at all and that includes FP

MaverickAH

Umpire is an idiot. Speaking USA, there is no limit on how many gloves one can wear, and for that matter, there is no requirement the player wear a glove at all and that includes FP

Pitcher can't wear a glove on their throwing hand so you're wrong on that point.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Pitcher can't wear a glove on their throwing hand so you're wrong on that point.

Actually, the rule states a pitch may not be thrown from the glove. Check the definition of "Glove" in rule 3. :) It does not prohibit the pitcher from wearing a glove, but from pitching the ball from it.

Okay, it restricts the pitcher from wearing a batting glove on the pitching hand, that is it. What if the pitcher wore rubber kitchen glove? Is there a rule prohibiting that? If so, citation please.

IMO, the rule should simply be changed to "must deliver the pitch from a bare hand". Pretty much covers the entire spectrum of possibilities, doesn't it

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
I was told years ago by an ump, when I did wear a batting glove on my fielding glove hand that I couldn't.. said it was a distraction..:rolleyes:

tonys1

I was told years ago by an ump, when I did wear a batting glove on my fielding glove hand that I couldn't.. said it was a distraction..:rolleyes:

Unless you're wearing Spiderz, those things have a lot going on!

Not sure if it was a league rule at the time, but when I played baseball in the mid-90's, pitchers couldn't wear any colored gloves other than the traditional black or tan because of the distraction factor.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
Unless you're wearing Spiderz, those things have a lot going on!

Not sure if it was a league rule at the time, but when I played baseball in the mid-90's, pitchers couldn't wear any colored gloves other than the traditional black or tan because of the distraction factor.
totally fine for the bat to be the same color as the ball though o_O

MaverickAH

Actually, the rule states a pitch may not be thrown from the glove. Check the definition of "Glove" in rule 3. :) It does not prohibit the pitcher from wearing a glove, but from pitching the ball from it.

Okay, it restricts the pitcher from wearing a batting glove on the pitching hand, that is it. What if the pitcher wore rubber kitchen glove? Is there a rule prohibiting that? If so, citation please.

IMO, the rule should simply be changed to "must deliver the pitch from a bare hand". Pretty much covers the entire spectrum of possibilities, doesn't it

Why don't you check the Rules Supplement under Pitcher's Uniform or Rule 6 under Pitching Regulations. A batting glove on the pitching hand is illegal for every single discipline of the game (Foreign Substance/Protective Wraps - 6A.7, 6B.6, 6C.5 & 6D.5).

Stop being flippant. You know darn well that you wouldn't allow a pitcher to use a "rubber kitchen glove". :rolleyes: Would love to see you allow it & then explain to your UIC how it isn't specifically prohibited in the rules. o_O

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Why don't you check the Rules Supplement under Pitcher's Uniform or Rule 6 under Pitching Regulations. A batting glove on the pitching hand is illegal for every single discipline of the game (Foreign Substance/Protective Wraps - 6A.7, 6B.6, 6C.5 & 6D.5).

Stop being flippant. You know darn well that you wouldn't allow a pitcher to use a "rubber kitchen glove". :rolleyes: Would love to see you allow it & then explain to your UIC how it isn't specifically prohibited in the rules. o_O

Not being flippant. I've had this argument on the field, but it is irrelevant. I know the rules and they support my comment. Why wouldn't you allow a pitcher to wear a rubber kitchen glove, it is not restricted by the rules.

I agree, it should be, but it is not. The rule and supplement is specific to batting gloves, nothing else.

MaverickAH

Not true! The rules also state that the umpire is the arbiter of what could be considered as distracting. In my judgement (three words every umpire should keep handy), a rubber kitchen glove on a pitcher's throwing hand would qualify as such & that's exactly how I would explain it.

Country469

I would love a few of the of tacky ass gloves I use at work sometimes, that ball would knuckle better off them. Irish says they are legal Im trying it at church league

dunkky

thought about wearing my garden glove once. do you guys sometimes feel these damn softball rules are more restrict than real sports.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Not true! The rules also state that the umpire is the arbiter of what could be considered as distracting. In my judgement (three words every umpire should keep handy), a rubber kitchen glove on a pitcher's throwing hand would qualify as such & that's exactly how I would explain it.

You are now talking like the umpires about which you routinely complain. Actually, that would only apply to FP and even there it would be a stretch especially if it was the same color at the team's shirt or flesh color. But apparently you are in a MSU rule mode.

As I noted before, apparently you have deaf eyes, that I agree with you that there should be no glove on the throwing hand. I'm only pointing out that the rule does not accommodate the purpose.Then again, these people still think that wetting one's fingers actually has an effect on the pitch

Wayne 33

Banned User
1 batting glove and 1 fielding glove? It's going to be 28 deg. for my game tomorrow night and I might want to wear the batting glove. I had an ump a few years ago tell me to remove the batting glove because you can't wear 2 in the field.

Being that cold, I hope your bats don't break.

MaverickAH

You are now talking like the umpires about which you routinely complain. Actually, that would only apply to FP and even there it would be a stretch especially if it was the same color at the team's shirt or flesh color. But apparently you are in a MSU rule mode.

As I noted before, apparently you have deaf eyes, that I agree with you that there should be no glove on the throwing hand. I'm only pointing out that the rule does not accommodate the purpose.Then again, these people still think that wetting one's fingers actually has an effect on the pitch

I don't complain about other umpires. Never...…. I may critique but I never complain! ;)

There are a lot of things that are not specifically accommodated in the rules. At that point common sense comes into play. Sometimes things will come down to the intention of the league. I do some leagues that are very relaxed & primarily for social purposes. I'm much more likely to let whatever go as long as it's not creating a safety issue. This time of year between Halloween & Christmas, you never know what people will show up wearing in these leagues! Serious league & tournaments are a different story.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Would a glove on your pitching hand improve your slider? Asking for a friend.

In SP, the foreign substance rule is a joke. There is nothing you can do with a pitch wearing a glove or wetting your fingers that you cannot do throwing the ball from your bare, dry hand and fingers.

FP is another story AFA gloves go. The wetting the fingers or putting dirt on the fingers is a joke as it does not affect the pitch.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
In SP, the foreign substance rule is a joke. There is nothing you can do with a pitch wearing a glove or wetting your fingers that you cannot do throwing the ball from your bare, dry hand and fingers.

FP is another story AFA gloves go. The wetting the fingers or putting dirt on the fingers is a joke as it does not affect the pitch.

Inside joke, Irish. If you'd frequented the OSPB a few months ago you'd be privy to the asinine hilarity.