ASA Catcher interference?

Pitch Perfect

Outstanding Bad Dealer
Lat night in league the other teams batter comes up and he hits a shallow fly to my LC fielder. The ump immediately throws his hands up and yells catcher interference. He and my catcher are discussing it and blue tells my guy that his glove interfered with the batter on his backswing, after he had already hit the ball. Is that a correct call?

Secondly, after he makes that call he then calls the batter back to the plate for the same at bat bat but now with a 1 strike count on him? Is that the correct call?

Thank you in advance

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Oh my...

First, it's catcher obstruction, not interference. Obstruction is when the defense hinders the offense. Interference is when the offense hinders the defense.

Second, the catcher has to let the batter hit the ball the way they want to. If the ball is already hit, I don't see how you can call catcher's obstruction.

Third, there are no do-overs. There are three possible ways to handle it.

1 - If the batter reaches first base safely and all other runners advance at least one base, it's done. The obstruction is canceled.
2 - If the batter is called out prior to reaching first base, OR if at least one runner does not advance at least one base, then the manager has two options. They can accept the result of the play, or they can have the batter take first base. If they choose the base award, runners may only advance if they are forced to advance.
3 - If the batter never even gets a chance to hit the ball (ie., the catcher completely blocks the batter from hitting the ball), then it's a dead ball, and the batter is awarded first base. Runners may advance only if forced.

Pitch Perfect

Outstanding Bad Dealer
Thanks blue and I apologize for my verbage. The ump we had was a younger guy and the game was a blowout already so there was no point in giving him grief but I see him every week, so I will cite this info to him. Appreciate it

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
If the ball is already hit, I don't see how you can call catcher's obstruction.

Clarify?

There would only be a fraction of a second between the obstruction and the "hit". The only time to call it would be after the hit.

johnsonrod

Starting Player
Clarify?

There would only be a fraction of a second between the obstruction and the "hit". The only time to call it would be after the hit.

re read the OP, the batter hit the catchers glove on his backswing, aka when the bat has already come through the hitting zone and is behind the batter.

mazzamouth

<font color="#191970">Punching Judy Swinger</font>
Oh my...

First, it's catcher obstruction, not interference. Obstruction is when the defense hinders the offense. Interference is when the offense hinders the defense.

well since we are talking softball... this is right...LOL

But in MLB, and NCAA baseball rules, it actually is called Catcher's Interference...LOL just thought I would throw that in there..

But he did give the right ruling... BTW this is a delayed dead ball call...

mazzamouth

<font color="#191970">Punching Judy Swinger</font>
re read the OP, the batter hit the catchers glove on his backswing, aka when the bat has already come through the hitting zone and is behind the batter.

If this is the case, then the Catcher's OBS should not be called.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
You should only be calling Catcher's Obstruction when the actions of the catcher prevent or hinder the batter's efforts to hit the ball.

If the contact was on the follow-through/backswing- after the batter had hit the ball and after the ball had left the bat- then the batter's effort to hit the pitch was obviously not impeded. No harm, no foul- unless the batter's action somehow prevents the catcher from making a play on the ball. Then you might have interference on the batter. Once the ball has left the bat, the batter is responsible for how he discards or follows-through with his bat.