Classic M or Classic Plus?

Kevw45

I'm just wondering what type of ball to use for the upcoming league. I live in Texas, it's hot and humid, and thus so far, I've been led to believe the Classic Plus is what I should use for those conditions. If anyone can verify, that would be great. Also, what brand should I get?

Last edited:

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Agree with using C+ in hot weather. I don't really care what brand either, any of them will perform better than a classic M in heat/humidity. Those things turn to marshmallows.

Kevw45

Agree with using C+ in hot weather. I don't really care what brand either, any of them will perform better than a classic M in heat/humidity. Those things turn to marshmallows.
Thanks, I've decided on the Demarini Lightning Classic +. Very few classic + balls out there that have the .52 Cor and extra 25 compression at 300 and are made of leather. Shoot, I bought a couple of the classic M's just to have a go with both. These things are nice, and I was able to find both to buy by singles, the M's at a nearby store, and the +'s online. I can't wait to get the + to check out.

Last edited:

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Thanks, I've decided on the Demarini Lightning Classic +. Very few classic + balls out there that have the .52 Cor and extra 25 compression at 300 and are made of leather. Shoot, I bought a couple of the classic M's just to have a go with both. These things are nice, and I was able to find both to buy by singles, the M's at a nearby store, and the +'s online. I can't wait to get the + to check out.

Let us know what you think. I much prefer +s to Ms, regardless of the weather. +s perform consistently across all temperature ranges. Ms are too hard in the cold and complete sponges in hot weather.

The only thing with the +s is that you have to get used to the softer feel. Some people equate feel with distance, but these balls fly surprisingly well despite not feeling hard off the bat.

J2009

Boom !!!!!
We play in ks and ok and no one use plus balls at all, extremes fly fine and it's hot as all get out

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
The Classic + flies more consistent than the Classic M in the heat. The only time to use Classic M is during winter night games

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
I'd prefer to hit a classic + just because I know what I'm getting regardless of temps. But it's hard to say no to a classic M on a 60 degree night................

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
I've been hitting the crappiest Classic M, Thunder SY for winter league. Average temperature is low 60s at game time and it is hard to keep the ball in the park. The dimensions is 280 to the side and 330 down the alley. My 2000 hit 15' Kirby sounds like a shotgun.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I've been hitting the crappiest Classic M, Thunder SY for winter league. Average temperature is low 60s at game time and it is hard to keep the ball in the park. The dimensions is 280 to the side and 330 down the alley. My 2000 hit 15' Kirby sounds like a shotgun.

Yeah, only an older Easton will hold up to hitting classic Ms during the winter.

milesej05

The Rookie
The Shark Classic +'s are probably the worst durability wise. The "best" Classic +'s I have found are the Thunder HyCon's with leather covers.

The Sharks will gouge and rip whenever they hit a fence

jstn8887

Addicted to Softballfans

The Demarini Lightning C+ balls are horrible, at least the synthetic cover ones are. Softball World in Euless used to use those and finally switched to a Worth Hot Dot (still a synthetic cover) about 2 years ago, and even though the Hot Dot is still a crappy ball, it is noticeably better than the Demarini Lightning.

Joker

The Demarini Lightning C+ balls are horrible, at least the synthetic cover ones are. Softball World in Euless used to use those and finally switched to a Worth Hot Dot (still a synthetic cover) about 2 years ago, and even though the Hot Dot is still a crappy ball, it is noticeably better than the Demarini Lightning.
you do realize he made that decision a year ago

jstn8887

Addicted to Softballfans
you do realize he made that decision a year ago
Nope, but I do now. Oh well... maybe he'll come back and reread this thread and see that he made a poor choice. Plus, this may help someone else that is trying to decide which Classic Plus ball to buy.

Gladzilla

Extra Hitter
Where can I find gold dot extreme classic plus line they sell in Mansfield with the Lone Star shootout stamp. I have searched for gde classic plus to no avail

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Where can I find gold dot extreme classic plus line they sell in Mansfield with the Lone Star shootout stamp. I have searched for gde classic plus to no avail

There are no Gold Dot C+s. I've seen/used the Lonestar shootout balls you speak of and they're Hot Dots. I think you can only buy them from the parks in TX.

I've also seen a very limited few GSL C+ balls. Also Hot Dots.