Other classification question

devo12

Addicted to Softballfans
We played in a E tourney in morganton nc this past weekend. It was isa and the team that went all the way thru and possibly won it, i didnt stick around to watch it all on sunday buuuuut on thier sleeves of the jerseys they wore, it said south carolina d state champs? It didnt really bother me cause we didnt play them we woulda had to win two more on sunday to get to play them but i just didnt understand.. I was thinking if you won a d state championship then they would prob bump you up to c or not even let you play e.. anyone have any info or input on this?

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
It's probable that they won D state in another association. To the best of my knowledge the associations do not communicate class changes to each other.

chiefn10

Addicted to Softballfans
it depends on what association the team won "d's" for. it could have been a back-yard association, or team award from the previous year, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are all rated D.

MrEye

Addicted to Softballfans
The team from Indiana that won "E" Nationals last year won "D" State. They were all classified "E" and chose to go to "D" State.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
The team from Indiana that won "E" Nationals last year won "D" State. They were all classified "E" and chose to go to "D" State.

Yep, the Indiana commissioner knowing sent them to the wrong tournament. The ASA rep at that tournament immediately brought this to ASA's attention. What happened from that point, if anything, is only known to ASA and that commissioner.

The real kick is that the teams that finished 2nd & 3rd to that team in the State D tournament were forced to go to the D national. How ****ed up is that?

This was one of the points raised in the ASA Player Rep Committee meeting when they presented the creation of the E classification. The guy who questioned it literally stated that if the commissioners didn't do their part in the proper classification of teams, the E was a waste of time. Guess he wasn't far off.

MrEye

Addicted to Softballfans
Yep, the Indiana commissioner knowing sent them to the wrong tournament. The ASA rep at that tournament immediately brought this to ASA's attention. What happened from that point, if anything, is only known to ASA and that commissioner.

The real kick is that the teams that finished 2nd & 3rd to that team in the State D tournament were forced to go to the D national. How ****ed up is that?

This was one of the points raised in the ASA Player Rep Committee meeting when they presented the creation of the E classification. The guy who questioned it literally stated that if the commissioners didn't do their part in the proper classification of teams, the E was a waste of time. Guess he wasn't far off.

I wasn't aware of all that. I always assumed (Maybe incorrectly) that when you have to move up it's not until the following year. So, if these guys were all "classified" E they could win D,C, whatever and continue to play E tournaments all year. FWIW, they would have to play "C" in Indiana the following year.

The ASA website is really bad at answering a lot of these questions as are a lot of the local commissioners, IMO.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I wasn't aware of all that. I always assumed (Maybe incorrectly) that when you have to move up it's not until the following year. So, if these guys were all "classified" E they could win D,C, whatever and continue to play E tournaments all year. FWIW, they would have to play "C" in Indiana the following year.

The ASA website is really bad at answering a lot of these questions as are a lot of the local commissioners, IMO.

Unfortunately, local classification is up to the commissioners until the team/player get involved in a national. In many local organizations, the commissioner would not allow a D state champion to advance to a lower class national.

I can tell you that this was a topic of discussion within 30 min of the ASA rep arriving at the convention last year and he was the one doing all the talking.

MrEye

Addicted to Softballfans
Unfortunately, local classification is up to the commissioners until the team/player get involved in a national. In many local organizations, the commissioner would not allow a D state champion to advance to a lower class national.

I can tell you that this was a topic of discussion within 30 min of the ASA rep arriving at the convention last year and he was the one doing all the talking.

Interesting. I'll have to relay this to my buddies. We thought it was pretty cool that a "local team" (We don't know them, they're 1.5 hours away from us) won Nationals, but thought it was odd they also won "D" state.

On that same line, do you have any idea what happened in the first game of that National Championship? The team in question forfeited the first game, or at least it looked that way on the bracket (7-0 score)

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Interesting. I'll have to relay this to my buddies. We thought it was pretty cool that a "local team" (We don't know them, they're 1.5 hours away from us) won Nationals, but thought it was odd they also won "D" state.

On that same line, do you have any idea what happened in the first game of that National Championship? The team in question forfeited the first game, or at least it looked that way on the bracket (7-0 score)

No, I don't