ASA co-ed rule

dewey84

Addicted to Softballfans
Is the line in the outfield at 175' just for the girls? I always thought it was but last week they wouldn't let us bring a rover in on a couple of guys that don't hit well.

MrEye

Addicted to Softballfans
I thought that was a league rule, so you're going to have to ask your League Director.

jplum13

Eat the food Tina!
For our league, the coed line is only in play on girl batters. When a girl is at bat, no guy outfielders can be in front of the line, but any girl outfielder (and as many as you would like) can be in front of the line. I'm pretty sure that this is a league specific rule so you would need to get in touch with your LD.

dewey84

Addicted to Softballfans
I will ask the LD tonight. I hope she has the bylaws with her, as there are some other league rules I would like to know about. Actually I hope she has even seen the league bylaws!

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
There's no "co-ed line" in the rule book for standard ASA rules. So, whatever your own individual league has come up with is at their own discretion. It could really be defined and enforced any number of ways depending on what they say.

Gator275

Addicted to Softballfans
Here we have the line at 200 feet, no one can be in the area from the start of the grass to the line until the ball is hit while a girl is at bat.

dewey84

Addicted to Softballfans
There's no "co-ed line" in the rule book for standard ASA rules. So, whatever your own individual league has come up with is at their own discretion. It could really be defined and enforced any number of ways depending on what they say.

I am glad it isn't in the rule book because I looked for a while before posting. Thought I must have been blind or something. I am getting a copy of the bylaws at the game tonight.

dttruax

Addicted to Softballfans
In our co-ed league, everyone (guys and girls) has to be behind the line when anyone (guy or girl) is up to bat until the ball is hit. And even though it said that plainly in the rules that were sent out, there were still teams who were convinced that the rule was for only when a girl is at bat or that the girl outfielders could be in front of the line when a girl is up to bat...even the LD wasn't sure about the rule when I asked her...and she was the one who wrote the rules. It wasn't until the year-end tournament where we finally got it straightened out.

USSSA

The Veteran
if the league uses the rule, this is usually what it is, no association uses it for tournament play, only local amended rules for coed

All outfielders must remain behind the 175-foot arc until the ball is hit when a female is at bat. PENALTY: If an outfielder crosses the arc prior to the ball being hit, a dead ball will be indicated by the umpire and the batter will be awarded first base and all runners awarded one base.

Last edited:

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Co-Ed Rule One Step Further

Our league has instituted an amendment to this rule. When a girl hits the ball to the outfield the first play from the outfield cannot be on the batter/runner at 1st base.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
we got new rule now for coed... double home plate!!

I've seen this modification used in a local league, and I can certainly appreciate the thinking behind it. They're using actual ASA rules that have been scrutinized, reviewed, revised, tweaked and heavily consulted over the years, and it's made a truly recreational league whose emphasis is more on having fun just that much safer.

DeezNutz357

Addicted to Softballfans
burn line is at 175 and can only go in front of if a guy is hitting, so I always back up 15 feet and run up timing when the ball is hit, with the girls, Last week I got warned when I made a catch just behind 2nd, the ump said there is no way I could have made it there if I was behind the burn line. dumb b---h

Last edited:

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
burn line is at 175 and can only go in front of if a guy is hitting, so I always back up 15 feet and run up timing when the ball is hit, with the girls, Last week I got warned when I made a catch just behind 2nd, the ump said there is no way I could have made it there if I was behind the burn line. dumb b---h

The umpire is a dumb *****, but you are the one playing in some pantywaste league with a stupid rule?

My 16 year old daughter would welcome someone running forward as she was hitting. Makes them have to run backwards that much further.

Last edited:

dewey84

Addicted to Softballfans

If it takes you 15 feet to get to full speed, you should consider playing somewhere other than OF.

jplum13

Eat the food Tina!
Our league has instituted an amendment to this rule. When a girl hits the ball to the outfield the first play from the outfield cannot be on the batter/runner at 1st base.

Call me crazy, but I actually like this rule for corec. I get annoyed when the left fielder does his pea**** dance because he threw out the 40 y/o mother of 3 who finally got the ball into the outfield.