CoEd - Girl Pitchers / Shooting Middle

JN137

Watching a coed game tonight during a game break and one of the teams had a girl pitching. This dude shoots middle TWICE in a row. Other team is obviously pissed.

Although, blowing middle on a girl is not something I would ever, ever do. But I'm not sure the logic behind putting someone in a position (when there are obviously guys on the team that could do it) and not expecting them to have to also play that position

So, what's worse?

Blowing middle on a girl?

Or, putting a girl on the mound then getting pissed when someone hits at her?

Redsfan

I come from the old school of thinking. If you wear a glove be ready for someone to hit it at you. It's probably pretty dumb to put a girl at pitcher or third but if they think they can handle it so be it. I also think it's dumb when people throw a fit if you hit it at certain positions. If you pitch but don't want anything hit at you quit pitching and become a catcher.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Watching a coed game tonight during a game break and one of the teams had a girl pitching. This dude shoots middle TWICE in a row. Other team is obviously pissed.

Although, blowing middle on a girl is not something I would ever, ever do. But I'm not sure the logic behind putting someone in a position (when there are obviously guys on the team that could do it) and not expecting them to have to also play that position

So, what's worse?

Blowing middle on a girl?

Or, putting a girl on the mound then getting pissed when someone hits at her?
Both are douche moves imo

D-ROCK13

We have a few coed teams that pitch with females. Granted its behind a net, but, several will still jump out, and make plays. Teams and players should have a little common sense, and don't play anyone, in a spot thats above their talent level

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
A team with guys that can pitch but choose to put a girl up there especially a girl that is not prepared for shots back at her is pretty sad, but those that choose to hit middle just to exploit is just as sad.. if you can hit middle at will then you can hit other spots when in this situation, (it is just a recreational game).. it's not her fault that dudes on the team are puss bags that don't want to pitch.

Protectyaneck

Much like I’m not putting a female on the mound that can’t actively protect herself, I’m also not rostering the dude who sees a girl pitcher and decides the best course of action is to take aim at her.

It’s softball, sh*t happens. But should the worst happen, I don’t need that on my conscience. Especially when it’s very easily avoidable. It’s coed rec ball. Have fun, have a beer, see you next week.

lorichie56

Not everyone can hit the ball where they want all the time either. Someone going middle isn’t always by choice. If it’s intentional it’s kind of a **** move male or female but ultimately they have a glove and they’re on the field. If you can’t use it that’s on you.

r8dr_rider

Intentionally going middle male or female is ****ty. Yes pitcher has a glove but reaction time with a ball going 100mph at 60ish feet is no bueno. As far as female pitcher goes who cares. If she can pitch let her pitch.

dunkky

u guys all conference?? I am not. with one strike and u give me outside, i don't know what my bat will do honestly. I am with captain 100%. if u gonna put a girl in the middle, might as well put a screen and don't complain about it.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
It's probably pretty dumb to put a girl at pitcher or third but if they think they can handle it so be it. I also think it's dumb when people throw a fit if you hit it at certain positions. If you pitch but don't want anything hit at you quit pitching and become a catcher.
Don't play ASA then. Rules require a girl at either SS or 3B.

I have no problems with a girl pitching, if she can field it. I think it's a jackass move to shoot middle on purpose in league regardless of who's pitching but it's much worse to put anyone on the rubber that can't field.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
Don't play ASA then. Rules require a girl at either SS or 3B.

I have no problems with a girl pitching, if she can field it. I think it's a jackass move to shoot middle on purpose in league regardless of who's pitching but it's much worse to put anyone on the rubber that can't field.

Are you sure about that? Rule 4, Section 1, 3e. Coed 10 players five male and five females: They must have two males and two females in both the infield and outfield and one male and one female as pitcher and catcher.

So you could put your girls at 1st and 2nd if I am reading this correctly.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Are you sure about that? Rule 4, Section 1, 3e. Coed 10 players five male and five females: They must have two males and two females in both the infield and outfield and one male and one female as pitcher and catcher.

So you could put your girls at 1st and 2nd if I am reading this correctly.
You are correct, it is a local rule that requires them to alternate. I've never worked a USA Co-ed tournament.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
I just played in a co-ed rec league on Wednesday night. They had girls at 1B and 2B. They were not good players and we were killing the other team. I didn't want to hit backside and seem like I was aiming for the girls so I went middle with an outside pitch and nearly killed the (guy) pitcher. Co-ed can be tricky.

JN137

I just played in a co-ed rec league on Wednesday night. They had girls at 1B and 2B. They were not good players and we were killing the other team. I didn't want to hit backside and seem like I was aiming for the girls so I went middle with an outside pitch and nearly killed the (guy) pitcher. Co-ed can be tricky.
PTWTG-450x244.png

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
LOL!! Yes, on Saturday. And Sunday and Thursday... but as a fill-in for co-ed I'm just trying to have fun and not hurt anybody or hurt myself. Almost drilled a girl in the face with a throw to 1B when she didn't peel off after getting forced out at 2b. Missed her by inches. Most co-ed I've played requires you to protect these girls (and some guys) from themselves.

JN137

LOL!! Yes, on Saturday. And Sunday and Thursday... but as a fill-in for co-ed I'm just trying to have fun and not hurt anybody or hurt myself. Almost drilled a girl in the face with a throw to 1B when she didn't peel off after getting forced out at 2b. Missed her by inches. Most co-ed I've played requires you to protect these girls (and some guys) from themselves.

I'm not a huge fan of playing Co-Ed, but sometimes hanging with friends for the night is enough to get me out.

Where I am, guys are required to swing single wall aluminums in coed, which is good.

I remember one game specifically not too long ago I cut a laser to LF that was knuckling what looked like 4' back and forth straight at a girl playing LF. I could tell she didn't know what to do, and her glove hand was just waving around as she stepped backwards. Thank god, she happened to cover her face at the last second right before the ball hit her glove, and knocked it into her face. I couldn't help but imagine how close that was to being horrible, or how much worse it would've been had we been able to swing composite bats...

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Almost drilled a girl in the face with a throw to 1B when she didn't peel off after getting forced out at 2b. Missed her by inches. Most co-ed I've played requires you to protect these girls (and some guys) from themselves.
Or you could learn how to play the game correctly. If she was going straight to the base she was doing what she was supposed to.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
Or you could learn how to play the game correctly. If she was going straight to the base she was doing what she was supposed to.
What? When you get forced out at 2b on the first leg of a double play and you're still 30 feet from the bag you peel off, or duck. At that point, you're out. In this case since I was playing SS and taking it myself,, there was no chance of bobbling the throw. Why continue straight to the base without at least ducking? Your face is in the throwing line.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
What? When you get forced out at 2b on the first leg of a double play and you're still 30 feet from the bag you peel off, or duck. At that point, you're out. In this case since I was playing SS and taking it myself,, there was no chance of bobbling the throw. Why continue straight to the base without at least ducking? Your face is in the throwing line.
Peeling off opens you up to being called for interference, it is the fielders responsibility to not through the ball into where the runner is supposed to be. You're not out until the umpire calls you out, which should not be happening before the ball is thrown.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
Peeling off opens you up to being called for interference, it is the fielders responsibility to not through the ball into where the runner is supposed to be. You're not out until the umpire calls you out, which should not be happening before the ball is thrown.
I'm sure that the girl in question who was 30 feet from the bag and too naive to move 2 feet out of the way of a throw was totally thinking about not putting herself in position to get called out for interference. I know I'd rather eat a softball than get called out for interference.

dunkky

sorry, coed is just dumb. If you wanna cry might as well, just use wooden or aluminum bat for guys hitting softest softball there is, with a pitching screen of course. it's like putting 12 year boys out there with bunch of grown men. so if it's meant to be purely fun/social, then make sure let it be. all these nonsense... u wanna use composite then go out play with guys of ur skill level.. I played co-ed once. i ain't going out there to babysit grown up fat women, period. not my definition of fun and the last thing i had in mind... lol

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
sorry, coed is just dumb. If you wanna cry might as well, just use wooden or aluminum bat for guys hitting softest softball there is, with a pitching screen of course. it's like putting 12 year boys out there with bunch of grown men. so if it's meant to be purely fun/social, then make sure let it be. all these nonsense... u wanna use composite then go out play with guys of ur skill level.. I played co-ed once. i ain't going out there to babysit grown up fat women, period. not my definition of fun and the last thing i had in mind... lol
I agree, but when a few friends ask me to fill in or they'll have to forfeit, I'll play. Happens 2 or 3 times a year.