coed q

koz

Addicted to Softballfans
NSA slow pitch:
Had a situation at co-ed last nite.
Team playing with 9 players. Rule: When 10th comes up=automatic out.
Situation:
B9 (male) batting & walks, is 10th (female), automatically out? Or does the other rule apply, can't walk male to get female? Also, is the ruling different with no outs vs 2 outs?

Thanks in advance

fuzzy2651

Extra Hitter
I've done this before as a pitcher. Felt like a ***** move, but maybe have all your players show up and you don't have to worry about it.

LIKEUCM

Not sure of answer in NSA. In USA (ASA), each time a male is walked he advances to second base, and with less than two outs the female must bat. With two outs, she is given the option to walk or bat. This eliminates the walking a man to get to a woman issue, as putting the make on second base eliminates the force out at second and the double play potential by walking the make batter. If we have a situation like you described, where they were missing the last female in the batting order, and they walked the male batter in front of that position, you would take the automatic out for the missing female at the end of the batting order, and have the next batter (male) come to bat. We don't have a penalty for walking a male batter, as the rule described above remove any advantage gained by doing so.

fitzpats

AKA - The Anti Ringer
In NSA, with two outs, the female would have the option of hitting if the male batter is walked before her. Fewer than two outs, and she must bat. However, I would suggest you take this up with your LD because in NSA, you are not allowed to play coed with fewer than 10 players. If you were playing by NSA rules, this would be a forfeit, but since you played and the rule has been placed in the ruleset, your league director would have final say and we won't be of any help here.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Forget that this is coed, because that has no bearing on the question.

In NSA, when there are two outs, you can't walk (intentionally or unintentionally) to get to the automatic out. The automatic out is skipped as per rule 4-4-d.

USA Softball (ASA) does not do this. You can intentionally walk to get to an automatic out.

fitzpats

AKA - The Anti Ringer
Forget that this is coed, because that has no bearing on the question.

In NSA, when there are two outs, you can't walk (intentionally or unintentionally) to get to the automatic out. The automatic out is skipped as per rule 4-4-d.

USA Softball (ASA) does not do this. You can intentionally walk to get to an automatic out.

The fact that it is co-ed does have bearing. Part III - Coed Softball, Rule 4-C states a game has to begin and end with 10 players. That's why this is a league situation.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
The fact that it is co-ed does have bearing. Part III - Coed Softball, Rule 4-C states a game has to begin and end with 10 players. That's why this is a league situation.

Yes, but the NSA rule book doesn't create any special exceptions for the "can't walk to an automatic out" rule in the coed game. So we revert back to the regular rule, which says... well... "you can't walk to get to the automatic out."

fitzpats

AKA - The Anti Ringer
Yes, but the NSA rule book doesn't create any special exceptions for the "can't walk to an automatic out" rule in the coed game. So we revert back to the regular rule, which says... well... "you can't walk to get to the automatic out."
Yes. But the coed rule still requires 10 to start. If you can't start it's a forfeit and the two out rule wouldn't matter. That's the way that I'm reading it. I understand where you're coming from though. This is the reason I believe it's a league rule. They can play with fewer than 10. If it was 6/4 or 7/3, the guys could hit in consecutive order if they had 10. Doesn't seem to be the case here.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Well, assuming there's a local rule that says they can play shorthanded (which it sounds like there is), then I'd revert to the regular NSA rule of how they handle the automatic out.