Commitment Line

GaBo

Have any of the senior softball associaitons (USA, SSUSA, ISA, etc.) changed the rule to state that the runner may be tagged out unless said runner has both feet on or across the commitment line?

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Every interpretation I've ever been given is that one foot on the ground beyond the commitment line is considered crossing it. If you have a specific scenario you encountered or you are "just making sure" your best bet is to run it up to the UIC responsible for your area.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Neither USA Softball or USSSA Softball specify what constitutes passing the commitment line. But every instruction I've ever been given is if any part of the body makes contact beyond the line, they are then committed. If you really need a definitive interpretation I've got the USSSA National Umpire In Chief's phone number.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
This is also one of those things that is umpire's judgement. You're not going to have instant replay available to see "yes, his foot was on the ground but 0.5 microns short of the line so he didn't cross it before he was tagged". I've played for years and umpired nearly as long at this point and one thing that's a certainty - softball players LOVE to argue. I'm sure we'll argue about that, too.

BruceinGa

always online
I understand that SSUSA has changed the rule. I don't recall how the rule reads. You may want to check their msg board.

GaBo

Thank you everyone for your reply. After my post, I referenced the SSUSA site and discovered they had changed the rule to 'both feet on the ground'.
'