Is it always best to choose home team?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

bestbatstats

• Don't take risks on bases in the last inning when you're losing! I don't know how many games I've been overjoyed in because the opposing team is trying to steal third or taking an extra base when they are down three runs. It's insane! If you need three runs, you're going to need at least 4 more hits anyway. Don't get the player that's already on base out when you desperately need several runs!
  • It's not always best to choose home team! I'm not just talking about drop dead play. That's obvious. I'm talking about in pool play when runs scored against are the tie-breaker after head to head. If a team is beating you, you want them to have fewer at bats (and runs) than your team. Keep that run total down. Choose visitor when in pool play and runs scored against are a factor.
    • Also, if you're a bad team never choose Home! Seriously, if the other team is likely to run rule your team, don't give them the opening at bats to do it. And if there is a 12 run rule after three or something similar. Don't give them all of their at bats. Do you all understand this? Or need I say more?
  • With runners on 1st and 3rd, you DON'T give up the steal to 2nd automatically (in younger leagues). No! Don't give it up! We have three plays that I call. A fake throw to 2nd and then quick pick off to third (most often), a throw to shortstop who runs toward catcher in case runner on third tries to go, and a throw down to 2nd. Yes I will try to throw the girl at second out. We do this when there are two outs and the girl looks slow. We also do this with 0 outs if we think we can throw her out. With 0 outs, the girl on third already has a 95% chance of scoring. Let her go and get the out. If you just let the player take 2B, the odds that both runners will score with 0 outs is about 90%.
  • Pitching Coaches: Never ever throw a strike when the count is 0-2 unless the player is holding the bat wrong! This should be obvious to anyone that has watched professional baseball or played any baseball/softball sport. Even if it misses by 6 feet and there's no way the batter will swing, it will throw the batters timing, rhythm, eyes off.
  • With runners on 2nd and 3rd and less than two outs, Runner on third should always go on a ground ball in 14U or lower games.
    • If you hold the runners on 3rd and 2nd, they make the play at first. End of play. Nothing gained.
    • If you send your runners, the fielder has to make a good throw home and the catcher has to make a good tag. Most importantly, nothing is lost. If they make a bad throw or tag, your runner is safe. Run scored. If they make a great play home you still have runners on 3rd and 1st with the same outs you would have had if you didn't send the runner on third.
    • In short, if you don't send the runner, you'll have an out (at 1st) with runners on 3rd and 2nd. If you send the runner, the worst you have is an out with runners on 3rd and 1st. It's definitely worth the chances.

Last edited: