Compression testing in Scottsdale

Team SWAT

Addicted to Softballfans
Rolled out to play on Friday and lo and behold - we had to have our bats checked! For LEAGUE NITE!

The guy told me that the tester cost $850, but it was worth it. It was amazing to not hear the sound of glass breaking and instead hear the sound of the crak of a bat.

That, and I kind of laughed at how many guys all of a sudden hit 225 foot pop-ups.

I wish more leagues/tourneys would just bust out the tester. I asked and the guy said he had to throw out 3 bats before I got there.

What are your thoughts?

dychen

Phoenix SuperDraft
Are the bats to be tested every week or just once before the season?

Guy find way around everything so in the end it's nice but cheaters will always cheat somehow.

Luda1468

Addicted to Softballfans

Guy find way around everything so in the end it's nice but cheaters will always cheat somehow.

Once before the season so it really doesn't make that much of a difference but its a step in the right direction.

hitemdeep

Addicted to Softballfans
Is it ASA out there? I think it is. If they would just go to 2013 stamped bats would eliminate problem. Bats are hot. Yeah you can shave em but good luck you might get a 100 swings before it breaks.

Shortyaz69

Addicted to Softballfans
I play in the Scottdale league, and I've had multiple conversations with the LD. He's a pretty good guy. He actually just pops out to the ballpark at random times to do testing. I've even see him sneek in the dugouts during games and test bats while the team is in the field!

bigballs21

Banned User
I play at horizon on monday nights and they tested our bats last week. They test them and put a sticker on them. Then theyre tested again when playoffs start. ITs nice seeing this done.

Team SWAT

Addicted to Softballfans

Very true, but knowing the LD has a tester and can test bats - I'd be willing to pay the protest fee to have a bat checked.

Obviously there will always be dirty bats (unless we go back to metal), but this is a great first step at a deterrent.

dgambill85

Banned User
Testers don't find anything. I've seen niw fail and usssa bats pass te Asa compression test. I've also seen shaved bats pass the test.

Crusher09

2x Pinewood Derby Champ!
Is it ASA out there? I think it is. If they would just go to 2013 stamped bats would eliminate problem. Bats are hot. Yeah you can shave em but good luck you might get a 100 swings before it breaks.

Because everybody has the money to just dump their old ASA bats with out notice and go buy new ones. :rolleyes:

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
I play in the Scottdale league, and I've had multiple conversations with the LD. He's a pretty good guy. He actually just pops out to the ballpark at random times to do testing. I've even see him sneek in the dugouts during games and test bats while the team is in the field!

I would be irritated if my bat got tested without me being there to watch it. Without a witness there, who is to say what the bat tested at except him? I have no problem letting anyone test any of my bats, or open them up for that matter, just a matter of principle that I be there to see it get tested.

Team SWAT

Addicted to Softballfans
I would be irritated if my bat got tested without me being there to watch it. Without a witness there, who is to say what the bat tested at except him? I have no problem letting anyone test any of my bats, or open them up for that matter, just a matter of principle that I be there to see it get tested.

The LD comes in the dugout (It happened in our 2nd game) but he doesn't just pick up bats. He looked for bats w/out the sticker - asked who they belonged to and asked to test them.

dychen

Phoenix SuperDraft

I think the question here is when are you not irritated? :D

Shortyaz69

Addicted to Softballfans
The LD comes in the dugout (It happened in our 2nd game) but he doesn't just pick up bats. He looked for bats w/out the sticker - asked who they belonged to and asked to test them.

So......, since this was your experience, it must be everybody else's too?
Our last game for the fall season, we had 10 , so we were all out in the field. LD walked in the dugout, "just picked up a bat," and put it in the tester. It was a bit irritating. I'm not calling him a ****, I actually think he's a good guy. Just relating the facts of what happened in this case.

Crush17er

Addicted to Softballfans
I think the question here is when are you not irritated? :D

The "supplements" do that to you... hahahahaha

Our last game for the fall season, we had 10 , so we were all out in the field. LD walked in the dugout, "just picked up a bat," and put it in the tester. It was a bit irritating. I'm not calling him a ****, I actually think he's a good guy. Just relating the facts of what happened in this case.

Ya i would have asked him to kindly asked before doing anything...

dychen

Phoenix SuperDraft
Not often but sometimes it does happen! Ill prolly be irritated when you pick up all the gear today so be ready!

thanks for the warning. I'll have my little girl with me so I'll tell her that you are Oscar the Grouch.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
They kind of started the testing at the end of last season. This season they came out the first week and tested everything and applied stickers.

I applaud them for doing something even though both of my stock bats failed :rolleyes: One was just really broken in because a lot of people had been swinging it for a season. The other has a minor crack.

I was skeptical of the tester so I had my bats tested a total of four times (different nights) and they failed all four times. Right or wrong, it seems to be consistent.

I also brought a bunch of old bats from my garage just to make sure I had something with a sticker on it. The tester guys didn't seem happy about it.:D

I guess the trick is to get a new bat at the beginning of the season then BP the hell out of it to loosen it up.

Hendo9

Softball Junkie
I've had my stock Combat fail compression and watched a SCN9 with 1.5 out pass a compression test... So how does a compression test guarantee a bats validity on being unaltered?

hitemdeep

Addicted to Softballfans
Utrip also gave a couple years to change over. So your advice would be good in 2015 if you want to use a utrip comparison.

I get what your saying. Just wish they would switch....look at how many people bitched about the srv4 the team used Saturday. I've played them the bat is retarded the whole team swings it the umpire was laughing shaking his head saying theres nothing I can do and that was months ago when we played them.....LOL The bats are 200 or less the amount of beer that is drunk at victory I'm sure people could buy a new bat or share one on the team like most teams do anyways oh never mind they don't wanna share a stock bat. :rolleyes:

dttruax

Addicted to Softballfans
I've had my stock Combat fail compression and watched a SCN9 with 1.5 out pass a compression test... So how does a compression test guarantee a bats validity on being unaltered?

Compression testing only determines if the bat exceeds the performance standard, not if it's altered.

There's a league around here that tests the bats at the beginning of the season and stickers it on the taper.... so there's nothing stopping the player from getting the bat tested and stickered and then getting it altered after the fact...

Team SWAT

Addicted to Softballfans

Not at all. As with everything in life - Mileage may vary.

Hendo9

Softball Junkie
Rio Vista does compression testing as well. If you use it they boot ya for 2 weeks and then for the season for LIFEEEEE :D

spartanmikek

Addicted to Softballfans

I play the Scottsdale league and its absolutely beautiful!!! He will randomly show up and test every bat in the dugout. He's way slick about it, he will watch from distance with binoculars to make sure guys aren't using a bat and then hidding it their bag. Then when the team takes the field he tests all the bats in the dugout. I can't praise Tim (LD) enough for doing it. He caught a huge amount of crap in the beginning from all the cheaters but kept at it. He is a very good guy. I've always said there are few things more pathetic then needing to cheat in order to hit a grapefruit sized ball traveling 10mph in recreational league softball (my cheating comment obviously refers to guys who alter their bat, not guys who are unknowingly swinging a broken in bat that is past the limits)
**** I just read SWAT post about stickers, I missed last season so he may not be doing what I mentioned anymore*****

Last edited: