Confronting a teammate using a shaved bat.

lakeyale13

Manager
Almost positive a teammate of mine is using a shaved bat. He has little power (maybe hits 1-2 homers in 2 rounds of BP). Shows up to our last game with a new bat that he says doesn't have a swing on it. He allows a kid (literally 16 year old) he brought to fill in use it and the kid hits it off the fence. He has played with us before and doesn't have that kind of power. Then my teammate gets up and hits one about 325' with contact that definitely sounded odd enough that even the other team spoke up and questioned the bat.

Could be coincidence. Could be that bat sounded funny because it only had 2 swings on it. Furthermore, he is a guy that would be "that guy" and purchase a shaved bat. So what would you do? Confront him and ask or just leave well enough alone?

Country469

It sounds to me like one of your ****tiest players is starting to carry their own weight. Do you like losing? I don't give a **** what anyone swings honestly.

lakeyale13

Manager
It sounds to me like one of your ****tiest players is starting to carry their own weight. Do you like losing? I don't give a **** what anyone swings honestly.

I kind of see your point. I guess if he wants to swing a bat only a puss would swing then let him. He has to answer to the other team's questions.

As far as winning, I guess I am a purest of sorts. I would rather lose than have a teammate swing an illegal bat, and have his performance with an illegal bat influence the game. In the same way, I would hate to lose to a team that I knew had shaved bats. But that's just me. Others certainly have different opinions.

Country469

I kind of see your point. I guess if he wants to swing a bat only a puss would swing then let him. He has to answer to the other team's questions.

As far as winning, I guess I am a purest of sorts. I would rather lose than have a teammate swing an illegal bat, and have his performance with an illegal bat influence the game. In the same way, I would hate to lose to a team that I knew had shaved bats. But that's just me. Others certainly have different opinions.

You also are assuming two things;
1. the bat is actually shaved or doctored and not just hot
2. That the teams you play against are all just as clean

I pitched to anyone up there for years, and for the most part shaved bats are no longer a problem in the game. They break and fail compression way too easy, and they are negated by the 52 cor ball.

You want to make a difference and clean up your team? Suggest the league buy a tester and use 52 cor balls (oh and it will lower league insurance too, offsetting the cost of the tester)

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
you can't doctor a bat today without crippling its longevity and with todays technology, its not really that much of a gain.

new bat tech makes men out of boys. the day i bought the orange combat dbasa the weakest hitters on the church team i ran were hitting hoppers. it was drastic.

ShortYellowBus

What is the name of the bat he’s using?

If it’s a senior bat (obviously illegal) and you’re hitting 40’s or 44’s, it’s plausible he just mistakenly bought the wrong stamp.

Senior bats are insane.

dunkky

if its fact, yeah i would let him know not to bring it. it's not about just him, it's also your teams reputation. they are not going to curse at that guy, they gonna talk **** about your whole team. if you don't care about that. then move on, but why would you want other teams talk about you something negative.

Country469

losers make excuses like shaved bats for years

I bet I mad LDs and TDs hundreds of dollars in bat protestes over the years. all came back clean. All that time in the gym and BP actually paid and the fat whiney bald guys just protested cuz no way I was just better.

TLDNR; worrying about losers think of you is dumb

blakcherry329

Shaved bats are still a thing around here, but it's modified and Clinchers(F12), so no biggie. I actually got hit, directly on the left quad on Sunday. Didn't even bruise, yet.

I'm thinking if it is shaved he wouldn't be letting anyone use it. Ask him if you could swing it and you can probably tell for yourself.
Otherwise, just pull him aside and ask him if it's shaved. If he says no, just take him at his word.

lakeyale13

Manager
losers make excuses like shaved bats for years

I bet I mad LDs and TDs hundreds of dollars in bat protestes over the years. all came back clean. All that time in the gym and BP actually paid and the fat whiney bald guys just protested cuz no way I was just better.

TLDNR; worrying about losers think of you is dumb

Do you not look like you workout / could perform the way you do? I mean, if you look out of shape or are 5'7" and 155lbs and dropping 400' bombs then I get why someone would question. But if you look like you work out, have a great swing, and mash, who is gonna complain!? I certainly wouldn't. You must have lots of people who aren't fond of you. LOL.

Country469

this was back when bats needed 3000 swings to break in. I haven't played travel ball in 4-5 years now. Retirement and golf are nice. But yeah, Im a huge ass and people at league always hate me.

lakeyale13

Manager

this was back when bats needed 3000 swings to break in. I haven't played travel ball in 4-5 years now. Retirement and golf are nice. But yeah, Im a huge ass and people at league always hate me.

Yeah, don't know why someone would complain if you hit the ball a ton. Strength + Power + athletic ability= Ball go far

EOD123

Our team has 1 shaved bat and everyone knows which one it is. It usually only comes out when the game is out of reach, but there is one little guy that tries to use it in close games sometimes. He usually miss its and pops out anyway. However, I am like you and wouldnt ever use it. I can clear the fence just fine already, no difference to me if it goes 315 or 350, so why cheapen yourself.

lakeyale13

Manager
I couldn’t care less if someone on my team or the other team was swinging a shaved bat.

So if your team was playing "clean" and the other team was using shaved bats and beat your team by 1 run...you're telling me that you could care less? If so, you are a better man than me.

Normy

I have a buddy on an opposing team who uses a Combat Extinction without the disc. Doesn't sound like a normal Combat and launches the 52's. We have compression testing and he said it was just above the pass/fail. I guess that was his justification for using it. I never say anything because I know others send theirs to get shaved after the fact. Kinda frustrating for those of us who try to walk the line.

Redsfan

If people are competing, people are cheating. If someone has to get a shaved bat to try to beat me so be it. If I ever get back to playing for more than a free t-shirt or a POS trophy maybe I'll start caring again. Haha.

r8dr_rider

I personally would never use a shaved bat for legal reasons. If I smacked the pitcher and injured him...or worse. And they find the doctored bat. I would be in a heap of civil and maybe criminal trouble. But if another player is using it, to each his own.

dunkky

I personally would never use a shaved bat for legal reasons. If I smacked the pitcher and injured him...or worse. And they find the doctored bat. I would be in a heap of civil and maybe criminal trouble. But if another player is using it, to each his own.

this ^^ we were looking at it from wrong angle. most important point here. it's to protect players foremost and i am sure that's why shaved bats are illegal.

dunkky

Why would someone need a shaved bat with today bats lol? I didn’t know that was still a thing

i know a few. lol. i have a couple of friends who have 280-90 power. if they lift weight and work on their mechanic, i am sure they can clear the fence. but if you want easy way out without working for it, shave bat will do it.