corndiggity's 5x5 log

corndiggity

Addicted to Softballfans
Was looking through my old log and was kind of disappointed at how long it's been since I updated. I've been working out since the last update but not with any regularity that I'm proud of. Over the winter I put together a gym in the garage and am loving it. I'm checking the local kijiji.ca (Canadian craigslist) daily for used equipment - just picked up a used 35lb cast iron kettlebell for $25.

Started back at the beginning of February. You can see that I did a test day, then dropped the weights back about 20%. I haven't done back squats, bench press or overhead presses in probably 3-4 years. I had been doing front squats, and then push-up and TRX for chest.

I'm just finishing my 5th week and pretty happy with the way it's going. Thought I was have more trouble with the weight today, but ended up being okay. I think I'll be stalling next week or the week after though.

Plan to see how this goes through mid-May until league starts, then probably switch to 3x5 or 3x3 and keep going. I really like this program so far. You can see I'm down about 14lbs. Eating better and cutting booze (at teast during the week) helps a lot.

Mods, please feel free to re-open my old thread and merge. I'm hoping I'll keep with this one.

5x5_zpsa89081f6.png

grubd

Banned User
I loved the 5x5 when I was first starting and building my body. I'll check this out later.

corndiggity

Addicted to Softballfans
11:30: get up
- prepare shake (oats, frozen strawberry/mango, OJ, water)
- walk the dog for 20mins while the fruit softens
- zap shake with 2 scoops of protein, drink
- work

- green tea and half a banana

2:00: warm-up/foam roll/ workout
squat: 5x5@230lbs
bench: 5x5@180lbs
rows: 16/15/12
push-ups: 21/17/15
bridge/curl: 23/20/20 (these last 3 are done as a superset ie rows/push/bridge each to failure, rest, repeat)

1.5 scoops protein with little bit of gatorade powder during workout.

3:15: 1/2 chicken sandwich, veggies, can of V8

3:30: chiro appointment
4:30: handful of trail mix
7:00: 1hr spin class with the wife (shes training for her first ironman in august)
gatroade and protein shake (1.5scoops with bit of gatorade powder)

9:00: salmon, rice, veggies

- work till prolly 2-3am
- watch hockey, GoT, Archer and maybe the last ep of Justified which I still haven't watched yet
- probably have a shake later: OJ, ice, vanilla protein, blast in magic bullet...so good

corndiggity

Addicted to Softballfans
11:30am: get up, walk dog shake
2:30pm: salad with chicken
3:30pm: fix bike, quick ride. some light upper body with the suspension straps and some body weight squats. foam roll

was gonna BP for the first tome today but took some dry cuts and decided against it. gonna start doing dry cuts throughout the day for the next few days getting the swing back before BP next week hopefully

5:30pm: banana, toast with natty PB and apple butter
7:00pm: ball hockey semis, threw the ball around a bit with a teammate before hockey. arm feels good.

I've been doing extra shoulder work with the hockey stick between sets. hold it with hands on both ends and go over your head and back a few times. then move the hands in together gradually. i think it's really helping my shoulder mobility

8:30pm: OJ and 1.5 scoops vanilla protein
11:30: browned some extra-lean GB, then sauteed some peppers, onion garlic, stewed (drained) tomatoes and added the meat and some seasoning (franks, cayenne, italian)

while that cooks down stab a spaghetti squash a bunch of times and microwave for 10mins flipping once. let cool a few minutes and slice lenth-wise. scoop out the pulp. then scrape out the inside into a bowl and coat with meat mixture. the squash tastes like a crunchy, nutty spaghetti noodle but is way healthier. so good.

now watching Man vs Food Nation. god damn these concoctions are just stupid. 60minutes to eat 6 pounds of fried potatoes, sausage, bacon, peppers, 12 eggs and 4 cheeses. for a tshirt. prolly watch archer and Mad Men.

work 'till 2ish then bed. work will be calling @ 10am for the weekly meeting.

corndiggity

Addicted to Softballfans
11:00am: get up, walk dog, shake
1:00pm: apple, trail mix
2:00pm: warmup, foam roll, workout,1.5 scoops protein
squat: 5x5@235lbs
overhead-press: 5x5@120lbs
DL: 1x5@265lbs
Pull-ups: 11/8/8
bridge: 45/40/(30/30/30)

3:30pm: tuna sandwich, v8, veggies
5:30pm: banana trail mix
7:00pm: 1.5 scoops protein, 1hr spin class
9:00pm: chicken pad thai (extra chicken)
1:00pm protein shake, walk dog then bed in a bit

corndiggity

Addicted to Softballfans
yesterday was an 'off' day from weights. I like to try to do something to get the blood flowing, if not a cardio workout.

grabbed the dog and walked her up the street about 150yards. turned and jogged back. did that a few times then foam rolled.

put her in the house, the jogged the 150yrds then turn and sprinted back. did this about 3 times. then into the garage for some
reverse pass-under kettlebell lunges into a 1-arm, 1-leg romanian deadlift with row.

- hold kettlebell in left hand
- reverse lunge with left leg
- pass kettlebell under right leg to right hand
- stand, stayin on right leg
- romanian dead lift on right leg and row when at the bottom then back up
- repeat

ended up working till about 2:30am. set my alarm to go off at 10am this morn but when it went off reset it for 11. ended up getting up at 12:45 to an ice storm. guess I was tired. one thing I love about working from home is making my own hours!!

gotta lift today.

I feel I'm reaching the stalling point on my squats. I'm working out by myself in my garage with only a squat stand so I have no support if I have to bail on squats. I'm also headed to Jamaica on Apr 23 for a week.

I think I'm going to take a self-imposed stall in my squat and drop 10-15 lbs today and then rebuild back to current weight next week. then a deload week in jamaica, then come back and see where I am.

I'm squatting more now than ever and I think a few more workouts around 225 will help my get used to moving that weight. when I get back it'll be ball season soon so maybe drop to 3x5 or 3x3 and keep the weight up...

corndiggity

Addicted to Softballfans
12:45pm: got up made a shake
slept in today. guess I was tired.
3:30pm: 2 hrd boiled eggs, broccoli, red pepper, glass of milk (2%)
green tea
6:00pm: trailmix, pineapple chunks
7:00pm: 2 scoops protein, lil gatorade powder
warm up, foam roll workout

Squat: 5x5@225lbs
Bench: 5x5@185lbs
rows: 15/16/13
push-ups: 22/17/15
bridge/curl: 25/22/20

I dropped my squat back down to 225lbs. The first set was tough. possibly because:
- I worked out later than usual
- didn't feel I had as much energy today
- knew I was dropping to a weight I had done before
- tried to eat a little less yesterday. although i don't really count calories and keep a solid food log (besides here now, and I prolly should) i try to eat a little less on off days. I'm wondering if I should maybe switch it up...
- probably a combo of all of the above

I recovered on my 2-5 sets and felt I was getting better depth on them as well. the other lifts went up as well so good day. I ws going to finish with some kettlebell tabata but I was wiped after my last set of TRX bridges with curl. those things blast ur hammies

9:00pm dinner

got a pork tenderloin resting that I stuffed with baby spinach, herb & garlic goat cheese and dried apples. prolly have a v8 and some veggies with it.

contemplating having some whiskey tonight. been having trouble bvreaking the 208-211 range so i should prolly hold off but it's Friday, I aint got no job, and I ain't got **** to do. Only 2 of those are true.

snack later may be toast with PB and apple butter...soooo good. maybe a creamsicle protein shake b4 bed....and fireball. likely fireball

corndiggity

Addicted to Softballfans
been a few days..

Saturday:
I was gonna do a workout but instead just did exercises throughout the day/night. Basically I'd head out to the garage to smoke a bowl at commercials of the hockey game, then do a few reps of various chins, pull, and suspension trainer excerices. ended up doing quite a few of each.

realized that I can finally do full range pull-ups again from a dead hang. only sets of 2/3 at a time but it's encouraging to know i've lost enough weight and gained enough strencgth to do these again.

Sunday was a long walk with the dog and then some 150yrd spints/jogs

I realized a few weeks ago that I don't really walk that much anymore. T least nothing substantial. I started taking the dog for 45+ minute walks and find that it's been really beneficial to mobility. I'm a programmer so I spend a lot of time sitting. Sure I get up a bunch but it's always short (<5min) walks. I noticed that longer walks I'm engaging the hips and ankles far more than I used to.

corndiggity

Addicted to Softballfans
(Monday) Yesteerday was:

squat: 5x5@225
overhead: 5x5@125
DL: 5x5@275
pulls:10/10

cut my workout a litle short and did it earlier as I was planning my first BP session for 4. hitting went well. First sound sucked, but a better pither in the second round and taking fewer pitches I found y groove. First tourney this weekend.

really lame game times

coed: 8, 1030am sat, 8am sun
mens: 4:45, 7:15, 8:30 sat

Today (tuesda):

finally got the treadmill fixed. It was a speed sensor but they sent the wrong parts the first time.

I had been jumping on the treadmill every morning for a 30minute incline (2.5-10) walk while I had my shake. i've been missing it for about a month now. great way to start the day and get the legs loose.

Ball hockey playoffs Tuesday night. of course that morning I start getting txtxs from my best girls saying they can;t make it. anyway we play the #1 team (we were #2). tie it up with 1 minute left and they score with literally about 5 seconds left. 4-3 them good game.

Last edited:

corndiggity

Addicted to Softballfans
Wednesday: normally I would be lifting yesterday but had BP scheduled for 4 and a tourney this week. i was still pretty sore from hitting monday.

it's becoming clear that after 5-6 solid weeks of lifiting heavy and doing some activity at least 6 days a week tat it's taking its toll. I've been sleeping well but yesterday was tough. Did BP then an hour spin class then home for a soak in a hot bath with epsom salts.

went to bed around 2am. alarm set for 10am.

got up at 1am. man was I tried. feeling much better today but still some soreness. prolly do a treadmill walk for a while and then probably lift. we'll see how heavy I go. probably get theweight to were I was but not do the volume. tourney this weekend. then Jamaica next week.

Jamaica trip seems to be perfectly times with a my need for a deload week. give me a chance to rest, unwind, and come back refreshed ready to start the saeson.

corndiggity

Addicted to Softballfans
Back to it

Got back from Jamaica Tuesday night around 10. Trip was good. Did nothing but drink, smoke, swim n ****. walked a bunch if that counts as exercise. I was disappointed at how un-spicy the food was. to be expected on a resort. the wife and i like spicy food but when you asked for the jerk chicken spicy, then brought hot sauce. next time we'll have to leave the resort and try a chicken shack

Yesterday: woke up at 10 for meeting. felt exhausted. got up around 11 had a shake and worked for a bit.
1:30: BP - medium toss then hit about 75 balls. swing was a little off but it was fun hitting.
5:00pm felt good so tried some weights
foam roll
squats: worked up to 2@205 with sets of ~5 at lower weights
Pull-ups sets of 2-3 between squat sets
kettlebell swings
foam roll stretch

Today: up at 10:30 shake and 20mins incline walk on treadmill
1:30: BP - medium toss then hit about 75 balls. swing felt great.
- have to remember to keep left shoulder up against chin. helps me stay up and drive the hands and shoulders
BBQ some chicken breast that i cut into strips and pork roast. light cover of OO&S&P. got a few sauces to try from jamaica

4:30pm felt good so tried some weights
foam roll
DL: worked up to 2@265
Push ups: sets of 5-10 between DLs with different variations
kettlebell lunge/RDL/rows
foam roll stretch

League starts next Tuesday. weighing in at around 210 right now, down from about 225 beginning of Feb. likely not gonna hit goal of 200 by first league game. trip didn't help and i thought league would start a week later. still pretty happy with where i am. clean diet and lots of BP and weights and the weight will come off. gotta try to lay of the coors light at game, or at least not come home and continue.

I'm thinking of switching to 5/3/1 during ball season. I like 5x5 and may go back to it come fall but it may be too much volume right now. plan to do a lot of BP and outfield practice so lots of sprinting.

Just DL'd a copy of Cressey's Maximum Mobility so may look at that tonight while hockey is on.

Leafs played like it was a regular season game last night. Bruins know how the playoffs work. Not looking good for my Buds, but the experience will be good for them. Good young team with lots of work to do.

corndiggity

Addicted to Softballfans
Friday:
all I remember is that I hit about 75 balls

Saturday:
100yrd sprint, 30secwalk, 100ryd jog, 20 kettlebell swings
100yrd sprint, 30secwalk, 100ryd jog, 30 med ball wall slams
100yrd sprint, 30secwalk, 100ryd jog, 10 kettlebell squats
100yrd sprint, 30secwalk, 100ryd jog, 20 kettlebell swings
100yrd sprint, 30secwalk, 100ryd jog, 30 med ball wall slams
100yrd sprint, 30secwalk, 100ryd jog, 10 kettlebell squats

Today:
hit about 100 balls with the pitching machine. kinda ****ty
- worked up to 7/5/5@115 overhead press
- sets of 5/leg bulgarian split squats sometimes with a small jump between presses
- tabata
20sec kettlebell swings, rest 10sec
20sec kettlebell squats, rest 10sec
repeat 4 times, then fall down

I've been doing lots of various pulls and presses with the overhead bars and suspension straps randomly

corndiggity

Addicted to Softballfans
- woke up at 1:00pm today. I was exhausted. shake
- hopped on the treadmill for 30min walk around 10 incline
- slow bike ride accompanying the wife for the last 4k of her run

- started 5/3/1 tonight
Squats:
160 x 5
185 x 5
210 x 10

3x10 spiderman pushups
3x10 inverted rows

ball starts tomorrow night. play coed tues and mends wed so i'll like lift
Mon - squats
Tues - coed
Wed - mens
Thu - Bench
Fri - DL
Sat - Military

I'm going to play with the accessory work as I go put going to use lots of body weight movements and front squats for sure

corndiggity

Addicted to Softballfans
yesterday: first games of the season. coed double-header

got up had a shake
quick walk with the dog then incline walk on treadmill
BP from 3-4:40. hit maybe 50 balls fielded a bit

won the first game lost the second. good showing for our team which moved from div 3 to div 1 this year. Hit well. 6-6 with 3s, 2d, 1hr I think.

corndiggity

Addicted to Softballfans
been a while since I posted

been busy with work n other ****. Just finished 4 weeks of 531. Been playing double-headers 2 nights a week plus a few tourneys thrown in. 531 fits perfectly in between these as I can choose when I do my lifts and what accessories I feel like doing that day.

Dropped a few lbs even though the alcohol intake is up and the diet has slipped a bit. Overall feeling good but going to try to get watch the diet for the next week or 3 and see what I can do. we'll see how it goes. It's hard to resist a few Coors Lights when playing ball.

corndiggity

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm pretty happy that this week was a deload week as my hips and glutes are legs are sore and tight. Gotta increase the stretching and foam rolling and keep up the 2/wk chiro sessions.

corndiggity

Addicted to Softballfans
**** tabata

deadlift day.
205x5
235x5
265x10

then some archer rows and kind of a hybrid dip-pushups with the straps. finished it off with some tabata with a 35lb kettlebell
20s swings
10s rest
20s goblet squats
10s
repeat 4 times. fall down.

downloaded a sweet little stopwatch app for my z10. Has your standard tabata timer plus a couple other presets, regular stopwatch and an option to input a simple interval.