ASA Couple of calls....

Madster09

League Hero
Veeeeeeeeeeeeery quesionable...#1 the mat had a 2" space due to the umpire not setting it correctly, the ball bounced where the space was(go figure) and the ump didnt know what to do...he LITERALLY SHRUGGED HIS SHOULDERS AND SAID"i dunno....ball?" #2 ball hit to left center(more towards left) im on my horse and dive over the shoulder straigh laid out! ball is outta my reach but here comes my left fielder sliding under me and make an INSANE catch...um said " i couldnt see that far, looked like a tough play so i assume he didnt make the catch" but my leftfielder made 2 other sick ass plays prior...he called the ball a dropped ball and i went Billy Martin on him...whats the right thing for the ump to do?

RDD15

Addicted to Softballfans
So......you are complaining about judgment calls? On the mat question, seems like blue should have set the mat correctly. Since he didnt, I think that he probably should have called a strike. I doubt there is a written rule anywhere that covers what to do if the mat is placed incorrectly.

On the second one, if blue can't see a legal catch, then there is no legal catch.

Madster09

League Hero
Im over it....but instead of assuming a ball in the first case and a non catch in the 2nd case why wouldnt he assume a strike and a catch? thats all

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
yea...typical answers from people who ump for the $ and not to do a good job and get paid....

Spoken to an umpire who, for the first 4 years of umpiring, never got paid.

Not one dime.

Yeah, I'm really in it for the money there, Bub. :rolleyes:

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Geesh....I thought you were "over it".

In your own words, you "went Billy Martin" on the guy. I take that to mean that you had a little hissy fit on the field, arguing a judgment call. Ejection would be entirely within the realm of possibilities for that.

On the first one, do you mean there was a 2" space between the back of the plate and the mat? If the mat had been properly positioned, would the ball have hit it? Yes. I would call the strike.

On the second one, all an umpire can do is try to gain some distance on the play, and get a good angle, then make an honest accessment of the catch on the evidence presented to him. If this umpire just stayed planted behind the plate, then I would have a problem with that. If he came out toward the play and made some genuine effort to get angle and distance, then he's done all he can really do.

On most plays, you have to call something and you just have two choices- ball or strike, fair or foul, safe or out, catch or no catch. Pick one of the two! Saying, "I don't know", "I just assumed...", or shrugging your shoulders isn't one of the options.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
On most plays, you have to call something and you just have two choices- ball or strike, fair or foul, safe or out, catch or no catch. Pick one of the two! Saying, "I don't know", "I just assumed...", or shrugging your shoulders isn't one of the options.

Sheesh, BretMan... Those were 8 choices! :D

RDD15

Addicted to Softballfans
yea...typical answers from people who ump for the $ and not to do a good job and get paid....

Never umped a game in my life. I am just a player that tries to know the rules, and how an ump goes about his job.

In light of the Billy Martin reference, you deserved to be in the parking lot for sure.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
If it lands where the mat and plate should have touched it's a strike. He should have had the mat placed properly and definitely should have called a strike.

On the second one, especially if he was the only umpire like in most leagues, Bretman's right, all you can ask for is some hustle and attempting to get an angle. At the umpiring clinics I have been taught never guess an out. If you didn't see the out, it's not an out. It may have been a really great play. I'm not sure how you would honestly expect a guy to see the ball clearly from the pitcher's mound (if he is moving) when the guy who caught it made a sliding catch and you are diving in between the guy who made the catch and the one who was supposed to see it. Seriously?!?

Put yourself in the other team's shoes. Would you really want the umpire GUESSING on a catch made by one sliding guy from behind another diving guy from the infield? You would have really been Billy Martin then.

Either way, you wouldn't have got in a good enough rant to get to the Billy Martin stage because you would be long gone before you ever got to the really good parts of your rant.

You should try umpiring for a while. The funniest thing is most of the guys who act all Billy Martin all the time have the shortest triggers for tossing people. The most disrespectful players seem to have the hardest time with being disrespected.

mrcub8

maybe next year!-Cub fans
no matter what the call always remember this.........the ump is 50% wrong 100% of the time.........:rolleyes:

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

Okay, hear it from someone who DOESN'T get paid to do the job, you are wrong. STFU and sit down.

You are as clueless as AJ Soprano.

Last edited:

Madster09

League Hero
I umpire Varsity Baseball, Softball and Soccer....that would be unnaceptable in any school system PERIOD! was i wrong for freaking out? i sure was, i would tossed me after the first 2 words i said to me lol. The umpire didnt move from his throne, u know how these sunday morning softball umps are