Current knuckleballers

Normy

I'm sure there are other threads but didn't feel like digging through the archives. I've been throwing mine for 2 years now and it's good when thrown right. Which is only half the time if I'm lucky. I grip with all four fingernails(cut short) just above the seam. Stiff wrist then flick the ball out at release. How often do you throw and how do you guys grip the knuckle? Any advice for making this pitch more consistent?

I realize that everybody will have a different answer and that's fine...I'll try them all. I also realize that the peanut gallery will have their say because pitching threads are stupid. That's ok too. Troll on!

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
I grip it probably most unconventionally as i have somewhat smaller hands.. I rarely dig nails but when I do I place fingers in different positions/areas of the ball sometimes along the seams as you do as well as into the seams I also throw /grip it no where near seams and again all over/different positions on the ball..

Most times I hold /grip it literally on three of my fingers/knuckles tucked under with my thumb and pinky out to the sides and position my hand/wrist in various positions slightly cocked and no flick..

I find myself throwing knuckles almost exclusively if/when I am struggling to throw strikes, sometimes it is the only thing I can get over the plate and as I mentioned in on of the other pitching threads I have the most success (movement) when wind is blowing straight at me.

Country469

Tuck your index and middle fingers in so the first knckle and your nails are about flush to the ball, and flick your fingers out as you release toward home. the drag on the ball from the fingers will cause the knuckle action. Easier to control that way for location. Yes, I have pitched competitively or a long ass time and this works.

MEATLOAF76

Addicted to Softballfans
Country I would like to see a picture of how you grip it. I have also been doing this a long time and have thrown them multiple ways, sometimes just because one is working better then another. I would like to add another tool to the tool box.

Stretch19

Grow up
High-Quality-JDM-The-Shocker-Car-Bumper-Vinyl-Sticker-Bomb-Window-Car-Bumper-Hand-Logo-Symbol.jpg_640x640.jpg

Country469

Country I would like to see a picture of how you grip it. I have also been doing this a long time and have thrown them multiple ways, sometimes just because one is working better then another. I would like to add another tool to the tool box.

I'll try to find something here at the office to use if I can

Country469

Sorry bro, softball aint life and I don't have any 12 inch yellow balls here at the office. I got some thick ass hose if you wanna see it.

Normy

NO! No that won't work...we don't want to see Country's hose pics bro. You're on the wrong forum.
Lol, unfortunately it's hard to sense sarcasm in a post. Just for the record...I'm straight as a carbon arrow and don't wanna see any hoses!

D-ROCK13

I grip it with the 3 middle fingers in the middle of the ball away from seams, pinky and thumb to the sides for control. I find if I keep my arm locked and don't bend at the elbow I can throw it much more consistently. I only throw it occasionally and to batters I know aren't comfortable hitting them

Normy

Wish there were better videos out there. Tried this grip without much success. Not sure if the pinky stabilizer was the culprit but it would spin every time. All I know is this guy needs a new camera man.

oppotaco13

I grip it with the 3 middle fingers in the middle of the ball away from seams, pinky and thumb to the sides for control. I find if I keep my arm locked and don't bend at the elbow I can throw it much more consistently. I only throw it occasionally and to batters I know aren't comfortable hitting them

Tried this today and it made it much more consistent for me as well.

WiLD53

i've never been able to get a knuckleball... although i admit i haven't really tried that hard... lately i've been more focused on that slider thing but i need to get a knuckleball... maybe now i should start trying to get one since i seem to have the slider figured out fairly well... you're never too old to learn... i hope... :cool:

Normy

i've never been able to get a knuckleball... although i admit i haven't really tried that hard... lately i've been more focused on that slider thing but i need to get a knuckleball... maybe now i should start trying to get one since i seem to have the slider figured out fairly well... you're never too old to learn... i hope... :cool:
Hey, at least you've got one of the two down. Both of mine suck for the most part. Maybe I should just stick to the Pentecostal backspin. Age is relative man...show them whippersnappers how it's done!

Party mafia

Hey, at least you've got one of the two down. Both of mine suck for the most part. Maybe I should just stick to the Pentecostal backspin. Age is relative man...show them whippersnappers how it's done!
Do a lot of pitchers do the Pentecostal backspin in Utrip? or can the backspin pitches for utrip? since the backspins requires a high arc to reaches the plate.

Normy

Do a lot of pitchers do the Pentecostal backspin in Utrip? or can the backspin pitches for utrip? since the backspins requires a high arc to reaches the plate.
I play ASA so I'm not sure about utrip. I like to throw it high and inside with a lot of rpm's which makes it travel a bit slower than my other pitches. Almost acting as a change up. I doubt many Utrippers use it cause when I throw it flat...bad things usually happen. The umpires in my league allow 12 footers for the most part so that's what I shoot for.

Party mafia

I play ASA so I'm not sure about utrip. I like to throw it high and inside with a lot of rpm's which makes it travel a bit slower than my other pitches. Almost acting as a change up. I doubt many Utrippers use it cause when I throw it flat...bad things usually happen. The umpires in my league allow 12 footers for the most part so that's what I shoot for.
I don't see that many backspin pitches for any of the utrip games i was watching on youtube, maybe because the backspins requires a high arch, and utrip pitches do not allow hight arch like ASA.

WiLD53

backspin pitches tend to float... that means the higher it is the more effective it is... a flat floater is like a hanging curve... although 10" is adequate for it to be effective... but i stress... you have to have a lot of spin... not just a regular release... i palm it and grip it tight and whip the hell out of it... at that point, throwing it for a strike becomes the problem... :cool:

Last edited:

Normy

Along with releasing it at the right point to get the high arc needed. I only throw it occasionally but when it does work right, it's a great pitch. Just like the slider and knuckleball. Some guys have a natural knack for it, others like myself, have to mark off 50 feet and practice constantly.

WiLD53

i've been fortunate eneough to have two people practice with me this week so i was able to try a couple of grips for the knuckleball... a few of times i got close but nothing yet... it seems to make my fingers hurt a little too... it may take some getting used to... :cool:

Last edited: