Customs

DMD74

So, I have never owned a custom. This week I got a wild hair and ordered each of my sons a Gloveworks custom and myself a custom from each of Gloveworks, Marucci, and 44Pro. What should I expect from each of these? Which is the best of the group? What are good comps of each. Thanks in advance

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Man you set your CC on fire this week!

Probably not the best qualified to answer your questions?

I’ve only owned one GW, a 12.25” I-web midnight tan steerhide Dan Davis model. Nothing but great things to say about it, the build quality and fit & finish make it one of the best deals going in the glove World, period!! I was nothing but impressed from the moment I opened the box!

Never owned a Marucci, I hate I screwed around and missed out on a 12” H-web model, in either the Cypress or the Capitol when they were blowing them out! Either series would have been fine with me. Missed out on a great opportunity ($) to try one out!

Never considered buying, ordering, or owning a 44 Pro!

I’d put that steerhide GW squarely inline with a true HOH & A2000! With the shell leather liner, maybe even nicer? All the little details on my GW were perfect, I honestly couldn’t pick anything on that glove except maybe.....it was a really flat / shallow Japanese pattern, but that wasn’t the gloves fault, that’s just what it was!

DMD74

Man you set your CC on fire this week!

Probably not the best qualified to answer your questions?

I’ve only owned one GW, a 12.25” I-web midnight tan steerhide Dan Davis model. Nothing but great things to say about it, the build quality and fit & finish make it one of the best deals going in the glove World, period!! I was nothing but impressed from the moment I opened the box!

Never owned a Marucci, I hate I screwed around and missed out on a 12” H-web model, in either the Cypress or the Capitol when they were blowing them out! Either series would have been fine with me. Missed out on a great opportunity ($) to try one out!

Never considered buying, ordering, or owning a 44 Pro!

I’d put that steerhide GW squarely inline with a true HOH & A2000! With the shell leather liner, maybe even nicer? All the little details on my GW were perfect, I honestly couldn’t pick anything on that glove except maybe.....it was a really flat / shallow Japanese pattern, but that wasn’t the gloves fault, that’s just what it was!
Thank you so much for the input. Dan has been very gracious in reaching out as well. My sons were hoping to get a new glove so I started looking for them and ended up with a GW for each of them, an outfield glove for one and a catchers mitt for the other. I have heard great things. I have one more glove design that I have in my head that I really want to make, hence the questions.

The Marucci purchase was more about wanting to try the C-Mod as anything else. 44 Pro had 25% off at the time that I ordered and I thought why not as it came out to $160 for a fully custom kip. Hearing that the GW steerhide is in line with HoH is good to hear. The one I ordered is probably very similar to yours as I went with a midnight tan all around with contrasting stitching and lacing.

On a side note, I am relatively new here and have enjoyed that there is so much content in the forums that I could go in a read up on. I had stumbled upon some of your posts regarding your daughter and had really enjoyed reading about the two of you and her path. One of our sons, the older brother to the two previously mention, was a running back in High School. His Senior year he was the 16th leading rusher in the state despite being under sized at 5’6” and weighing 160 pounds. We went through the recruiting process but ultimately he decided to serve his country and join the military. Reading about you and your daughter was a joy and reminded me of those times. Congratulations to both of you.

I am a huge baseball fan. I have always loved the defensive side of the game and have had an affinity for gloves. It is nice to be able to talk gloves with other like minded individuals. Thank you again.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Thank you so much for the input. Dan has been very gracious in reaching out as well. My sons were hoping to get a new glove so I started looking for them and ended up with a GW for each of them, an outfield glove for one and a catchers mitt for the other. I have heard great things. I have one more glove design that I have in my head that I really want to make, hence the questions.

The Marucci purchase was more about wanting to try the C-Mod as anything else. 44 Pro had 25% off at the time that I ordered and I thought why not as it came out to $160 for a fully custom kip. Hearing that the GW steerhide is in line with HoH is good to hear. The one I ordered is probably very similar to yours as I went with a midnight tan all around with contrasting stitching and lacing.

On a side note, I am relatively new here and have enjoyed that there is so much content in the forums that I could go in a read up on. I had stumbled upon some of your posts regarding your daughter and had really enjoyed reading about the two of you and her path. One of our sons, the older brother to the two previously mention, was a running back in High School. His Senior year he was the 16th leading rusher in the state despite being under sized at 5’6” and weighing 160 pounds. We went through the recruiting process but ultimately he decided to serve his country and join the military. Reading about you and your daughter was a joy and reminded me of those times. Congratulations to both of you.

I am a huge baseball fan. I have always loved the defensive side of the game and have had an affinity for gloves. It is nice to be able to talk gloves with other like minded individuals. Thank you again.
Thank you for the kind words and welcome aboard! There’s some super knowledgeable glove guys here to help with anything, just hate this place has been super slow.....for too long now!

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
tI6R2dw.jpeg

Rooster210

P-Pumpah #1
got a 12.75 Azure blue pro kip 2 years ago and when they had the 20% off beginning of April this year I bought one of each gameday and pro steer lines to check out the leather. I requested all to have the GW x Davis Relacing stamp as well as to be sent to Dan

Picture2.png

DMD74

got a 12.75 Azure blue pro kip 2 years ago and when they had the 20% off beginning of April this year I bought one of each gameday and pro steer lines to check out the leather. I requested all to have the GW x Davis Relacing stamp as well as to be sent to Dan

View attachment 67135
You are more patient than I. Waiting for the gloves to come in is torture. Waiting even longer to pass through Dan only extends that.

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
That is a beautiful group of gloves, especially the bottom left. I am a fan of open backs paired with an H web for sure. So clearly you are a GW fan. Do you have any other customs?

i have custom Rawlings and Wilsons but they are more or less "normal" gloves. haven't had a need to shop around outside of Gloveworks for anything with more "out there" touches. their quality, price, and service really is top notch.

Crusty

Addicted to Softballfans
What is the difference between Asian spec and normal? I thought it was a wider palm? Where they make the palm wider with an extra strip of leather that runs up between the index and middle finger.

lorichie56

You’ve obviously never handled the caramel Game Day leather if you say that. It is stiff, thick, and supple. Don’t let the $100 price tag fool you.

Ive never had a GW at all but ive been looking at them. How would it compare to a mizuno pro? Thats what i game and really like.

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
Ive never had a GW at all but ive been looking at them. How would it compare to a mizuno pro? Thats what i game and really like.
You’d need to compare the Pro Kip to a Mizuno Pro.
I think the way that GW sources leather is more like how Rawlings sources leather. Not every color is available in every model (Game Day/Gamer, Pro Steerhide/HOH, Pro Kip/Pro Preferred) because the focus is on the quality of the leather and not every tannery that makes the leather offers those colors. That’s my belief.

DMD74

You’d need to compare the Pro Kip to a Mizuno Pro.
I think the way that GW sources leather is more like how Rawlings sources leather. Not every color is available in every model (Game Day/Gamer, Pro Steerhide/HOH, Pro Kip/Pro Preferred) because the focus is on the quality of the leather and not every tannery that makes the leather offers those colors. That’s my belief.
I am pretty stoked to receive the ones that I ordered and compare the leather types amongst them. I currently have four GWs ordered and coming across the various leather types. I am not a fan of Kip so I am honestly more interested in the steerhide options. Especially the caramel on the Game Day series. I am also interested in how they compare with 44 Pro as they have similiar price points.

DMD74

View attachment 67135
I really like the color combo on that mod trap of yours. I am hoping to like the Game Day leather. Dan has spoken highly of it so I am greatly intrigued. $100 for a fully custom glove is a fantastic price. Especially if the leather is as good as advertised.