DB44 vs. Miken DC-41

lakeyale13

Manager
Hit two rounds of live BP tonight with Classic M's in mid 50's (kinda stupid I know). DB44 was every bit of the bat that the DC-41 was. Every. Single. Bit.

DC-41 had close to 400 swings with two rounds of live BP. DB44 had only 200 hits off of a tee. DC-41 performed very well...several balls 330'-360'. DB44 was right there every step of the way. I actually prefer the feel of it more than the DC-41.

Only slight concern is that I hope it is just a scratch on the DB44 that is on the clear coat and not the beginning of a crack. :(. The bat is fantastic.

lakeyale13

Manager
once you get used to swinging it, it swings beautifully ;)...

It is freaking amazing Bro. It is my gamer and has eclipsed the WFF and the DC-41. The WFF and DC-41 are amazing bats. AMAZING bats. But the DB44 just fits me. It is like a hand in glove.

4xtra

Player/Coach
My DB44 has 400+ swings on it and it is unreal AF...
(It is already has chipped paint ........slightly)
I have used it in Utrip tournaments hitting Classic M's and it performed VERY well..
Im shocked people are not buying these up.

Last edited:

4xtra

Player/Coach
from which year? or are they all pretty much the same.
Mine is a 2018 28oz
I suspect that they are repaints from years prior with that stacked composite
but this is my 1st year I gamed juggy's with my other bats and
Demarini has REALLY stepped up in Utrip and ASA.
Everybody thinks that Miken/Worth bats dominate Utrip but in 2019, Demarini is hanging with Worth/Miken with no problem.
(Demarini bats maintain compression thresholds MUCH better than Worth/Miken)
Even in ASA, my Juggy ASA is killing the Monsta bats that everyone out there is swinging
Yep I said it....MONSTA

Last edited:

THESHOE

Starting Player
2019 IS NOT THE SAME AS 2018, and prior to 2018 was a different handle.

Much softer barrel out of the gate. Lapped my well hit 2018 pretty quickly.

Hitting the softer balls (52 and 40/375) much better with less hits on it. 2018 had over 1000 but still didn't seem to piece the 52cor like the 2019 does with fewer hits albeit around 500 or so now.

19 has more EL than my 18 - weight for weight.

If I was scoping for a DB44 Juggy - I'd be waiting for deals on 2019 personally. It exceeds my 2018 and feels way better to me.

4xtra

Player/Coach

Hitting the softer balls (52 and 40/375) much better with less hits on it. 2018 had over 1000 but still didn't seem to piece the 52cor like the 2019 does with fewer hits albeit around 500 or so now.

If I was scoping for a DB44 Juggy - I'd be waiting for deals on 2019 personally. It exceeds my 2018 and feels way better to me.
If the 19 has more end load than the 18.....
you might as well swing this......
sledgehammer-isolated-on-white-background-picture-id516077073

lakeyale13

Manager

That is super interesting. I just simply cannot imagine a bat performing better than what my 18 DB44 did last night. I actually purchased another 27oz today I am so please with it.

I just hope durability holds up. Hitting Classic M's last night in mid 50's was a definite stretch. I absolutely have a crack in the clear coat going vertical for about an inch and a half. Praying it is only the clear coat and not the bat.

lakeyale13

Manager
If the 19 has more end load than the 18.....
you might as well swing this......
sledgehammer-isolated-on-white-background-picture-id516077073
I feel like there is a definite end load with the DB44. Still yet to find a bat that truly does feel like a sledge hammer...or the old Red and Black SS PST's. Have a Bubba Club 28oz coming to see how that feels. I need something for BP to save my Jugs. LOL

THESHOE

Starting Player
Because you hit Classic M in play, and likely harder in BP.

We game 52/300 Worth Hot Dots most anywhere. Even if you wish for harder balls, they aren't easy to come by here. When you go hunting you find mostly if not all Hot Dots.

I have purchased some harder balls with which I am laying hits into that 2018 more and more with.

The 2019 hits great and webbed up pretty good. I am relunctant to pepper it with harder balls given how it currently performs and its last test rating. I want to keep it passing and lasting for me.

My 2018 has lots of web and some even crack looking - But I can tell you it is not hitting the 52cor as well as the 2019. Something about the softer barrel and bigger load.

FWIW - Just received a 27oz Fulk - Less EL than my 19 Juggy, and more in line with the 2018 Juggy feel. Maybe it's just the draw of what I got, but I prefer my 2019 Juggy for various reasons.

That is super interesting. I just simply cannot imagine a bat performing better than what my 18 DB44 did last night. I actually purchased another 27oz today I am so please with it.

I just hope durability holds up. Hitting Classic M's last night in mid 50's was a definite stretch. I absolutely have a crack in the clear coat going vertical for about an inch and a half. Praying it is only the clear coat and not the bat.

dunkky

isn't that utrip bat? and you guys are hitting 52s? which i am all for, for the safety matter. here most if not all use classic m or hard balls in utrip. only asa leagues use 52s. people ***** about using mushy balls when a league attempted to use 52 in utrip.

lakeyale13

Manager
isn't that utrip bat? and you guys are hitting 52s? which i am all for, for the safety matter. here most if not all use classic m or hard balls in utrip. only asa leagues use 52s. people ***** about using mushy balls when a league attempted to use 52 in utrip.

I have never understood the safety piece with harder balls. I guess I should say, I could understand it in "D" level or Coed play...but not anything higher.

If I am playing third and a guy comes up that has some pop...I am playing close to the grass and I absolutely have a cup on. Furthermore, if I am a pitcher, I am wearing all appropriate safety equipment. My $.02 is that safety becomes and issue when unqualified people are playing positions they have absolutely no business playing.

dunkky

good point and i can respect that. but if someone's gonna get hit, i would rather see them getting hit by 52 than hardballs. And i am mostly concern with people playing E to D or senior league.

lakeyale13

Manager

I don't mind softer balls being used as long as they don't change the game. I am a bigger than average guy with slightly better than average power. I am not some crazy masher at all, but if I can't hit a fair amount during BP because the ball is a sock then the game becomes something different.

THESHOE

Starting Player
Yep.

We weren't fans of the decisions - But ultimately all 3 associations of ball up here went to that ball and Utrip new stamp sticks as rules.

We've gotten used to it. Bat choice really matters, and so do power hitters at that stage.

Some sticks just never get any good with 52s, but given Classic M performance will have fabled hype.

Some get crazy good with 52s. (FireFlex & Flex, Miken/Worth most, Nautalai and APC bats...) But may need a bit of work initially with some 40/44cor balls. Some don't even need anything harder at all even.

What I do like about playing with the harder balls on the occasions we get; grounders stay truer on the ground. The 52s are like bouncy rubber balls on a dry day. Hops galore.

dunkky

What I do like about playing with the harder balls on the occasions we get; grounders stay truer on the ground. The 52s are like bouncy rubber balls on a dry day. Hops galore.

yeah, pretty much this is what i get from most of the people who prefer hardballs which is totally understandable.

what i don't understand is some of these E guys preaching people how they only want to hit hardballs and posting it on FB all over the places. if you look at their batting avg, and their power rating, you would be like, wtf??? for real?? you can't hit for **** what ball you use.. lol people I know, the sucky ones are the ones make most noise, where good ones are like hmm, not my preference, but whatever attitude.

chile

Bad Ape
you either hit the ball hard, or you don't...52...44...47...doesn't matter. folks that crush one, will crush them all. even if they, themselves, don't feel that way.

dunkky

you either hit the ball hard, or you don't...52...44...47...doesn't matter. folks that crush one, will crush them all. even if they, themselves, don't feel that way.

totally agree, but some of the people i know seem to believe for whatever reason, hitting hardballs bring their BA up and possibly hit some bombs they have never done in their life. I told them to put more time on your mechanic, that should do the trick.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I have never understood the safety piece with harder balls. I guess I should say, I could understand it in "D" level or Coed play...but not anything higher.

The switch was made based on a measure called "impact severity" which basically determines how much damage a ball will do at a given speed. I could find and link actual articles, but the main takeaway from the initial studies was that the old .44/375 ball could shatter a human skull at normal batted ball speeds and the .52/300 won't. No matter how skilled somebody is, a bad hop at 90mph can be a life-altering event. I don't mind not being able to hit as far if it potentially saves someone's life.

The old standards here in Canada (Softball Canada, SPN) had us hitting .40/400 Gray Dots with ASA2004 bats. Since we've switched to .52/275 Hot Dots and USSSA bats most people have actually been hitting balls further.

THESHOE

Starting Player
Since that switch, the only real big difference I find is hitting into a wind.

Gray 40cor bored through better - I find the 52cor to get hung up and sail less. Maybe just me.

With the last 3-4 years of new stamp Utrip I would say it's about even to ASA04 and Gray 40s.

Old Utrip and those 40s where allowed though ;) Memories of OG Cartel and 40cors.

The old standards here in Canada (Softball Canada, SPN) had us hitting .40/400 Gray Dots with ASA2004 bats. Since we've switched to .52/275 Hot Dots and USSSA bats most people have actually been hitting balls further.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Yes, wind is a huge factor. Hot Dots weigh considerably less and die quickly in a headwind.

The only other complaint I have is the bounces on rough infields. If you hang back and let them take that 3rd or 4th bounce, all bets are off. But the trade-off is seeing guys take a bad hop to the forehead and being able to stay in the game. A Gray Dot on a cool evening, that's a trip to the ER.

THESHOE

Starting Player
52 & 40 yes.

44 to 52 is a big step. That's where you see some seperation in what the hitters can do. Moreso on the deep shot.

A great hitter hits holes and gets on base period. No matter the ball.

Squatchzilla

Extra Hitter
We hit some mixed balls (mostly 52s) with the Balanced Freakshow, DB44, DC41, Wegman Flex, Fireflex EL, and Plague.

I can tell you that they were all on par with one another. I personally hit the furthest shots with the Freakshow, DB44, and Wegman surprisingly. And I wouldn't hesitate to game any of these in our 52/300 league

The DB44 sounded the worst of the bunch and the plague no one really liked... however it was new and had about 20 hits on it when we started.

THESHOE

Starting Player
Nautalai and TM are very mute. 2018 or 2019.

The Plague.... Now is it just me or is this one just not on the same "FireFlex" level as the others. My experience with a well hit demo was harsh and I would rather a Green Helmer Flex over that one. Felt like it just wasn't really a FireFlex tech or it was made different. Heck even the 11" Fire and Ice felt better with it's dime sized sweet spot.

Any other Easton of 2018 I liked.

The DB44 sounded the worst of the bunch and the plague no one really liked... however it was new and had about 20 hits on it when we started.

chile

Bad Ape
...The Plague.... Now is it just me or is this one just not on the same "FireFlex" level as the others..

i'm a fan of the plague. takes a bit to fully break in...but the ones I had were gtg. they're no ressies but they're gtg for me.

lakeyale13

Manager
i'm a fan of the plague. takes a bit to fully break in...but the ones I had were gtg. they're no ressies but they're gtg for me.

Ok...so this is where I plead ignorance with coming back form a 6 year lay off. Is the Plague an Easton? I only know the "Plague" as the Combat Virus Johnny McGraw Plague. If the Plague is an Easton...is it any good?

chile

Bad Ape
Ok...so this is where I plead ignorance with coming back form a 6 year lay off. Is the Plague an Easton? I only know the "Plague" as the Combat Virus Johnny McGraw Plague. If the Plague is an Easton...is it any good?

yes, it is an Easton....started out as a Canadian exclusive, if I recall correctly. oddly enough, Easton released this after they ate combat.