DC41 Supermax - Questions

T Dot

Extra Hitter
Gamer:
- MIKEN 2016 Freak 30 (27oz, 12 inch barrel, 0.5oz end load)

League:
- UTRIP
- 52/300 balls

Please keep in mind the Freak 30 was my first bat and that I have only swinging a team bat before this. Moving away from a smaller sweet spot to a larger one may be an advantage. Also the extra 1/2 oz might make my mis-hits be big hits (not sure on that one though).

I have learned to locate the sweet spot without swinging the bat, and on the Freak 30 its on the IKE letters (from the MIKEN stamp). It's more so on the K and just ever so slightly on the letters touching this. I have only gamed this bat for 3 weeks, but am able to barrel up and SS almost everything. I quickly checked the SS again and it appears its around 3 to 4 inches.

Where is the DC SS:
I am hoping that the DC41 is more forgiving and the SS is bigger. Hopefully full on the IKE letters. If the SS is around 4-6 inches - this will make a huge difference in my power going opposite field. Can anyone with a DC confirm this?

Years models to stay away from:
I am now in the market for a DC and am looking at 2018, 2019 and 2020. Is there a particular year I need to stay away from. FYI - I play UTRIP.

Break in period:
I want to experience the difference in pop from NIW to broken in. Is there a huge difference between these phases or is it negligible? I am asking from the perspective of an advanced player and from the general weekend players on my team. I know for a fact they will swing this. They actually swing my Freak, but only 1 batter has ever hit the SS.

I am 150lbs, and +40 now LOL. I am looking to squeeze out every ounce of power I can. It's making the game fun for me again.

Thanks in advance.

ShortYellowBus

I’ve been messaging with him while at work and I think I confused him further.

DC41’s swing slower than Freak 30’s. The handles are the same so there’s no flex or no worries of excess whip. I’d say the big end load needs more bat speed, huge snap and strong hands to make it all happen.

The sweet spot is generally around the KE when it’s brand new, but it loosens up after a million hits (52/300 balls) and eventually the whole barrel will launch rockets.

You should mix in about a dozen classic M’s to help you break in that DC41 faster.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I owned a Worth Purcell XXL (DC41 in different paint) and I've swung several different DC41's of teammates' and I hated all of them. No doubt the effective hitting area is longer than it is on a 12" barrel, but the actual sweet SPOT, that one pinpoint area that gives maximum performance, is shifted towards your hands. Say for argument's sake the sweetspot is dead middle of the barrel. That puts it 7" from the end on a DC, 6" on a Freak30, and 5" on an Easton 10" (Bubba Club or FF210). I can hammer ball after ball off the sweetspots of my 12" and 10" Eastons, but with a 14" barrel I always feel like I'm missing slightly and I don't get the same exit speed/distance.

I have only gamed this bat for 3 weeks, but am able to barrel up and SS almost everything.

If you are consistently finding the SS on a shorter barrel, I wouldn't change anything. Your bat is actually travelling faster towards the endcap on any given swing so having the SS closer to the end is advantageous, IF you can consistently find it.

I think the main reason the DC is so popular is because the large SS and heavy endload help compensate for inconsistency; you have a 6" area where you get good performance and the endload helps power through balls that are mis-hit slightly. But on balls hit perfectly on the sweetspot I don't think it offers any advantage.

T Dot

Extra Hitter

Thank you!

ShortYellowBus is correct, I have been in contact with him in regards to this subject. I posted here too (and should have also told him in advance) to get other people's perspective or first hand/second hand experiences.

ShortYellowBus provided me with some great information too! I am so close to getting another bat, I just wanted to make sure I go in the right direction. Last thing I would want is a bat that just sits there.

Normy

Thank you!

ShortYellowBus is correct, I have been in contact with him in regards to this subject. I posted here too (and should have also told him in advance) to get other people's perspective or first hand/second hand experiences.

ShortYellowBus provided me with some great information too! I am so close to getting another bat, I just wanted to make sure I go in the right direction. Last thing I would want is a bat that just sits there.
Well, if all else fails, there's always Combat ;)

Normy

Thank you!

Well, if all else fails, there's always Combat ;)

T Dot

Extra Hitter
I’ve been messaging with him while at work and I think I confused him further.

DC41’s swing slower than Freak 30’s. The handles are the same so there’s no flex or no worries of excess whip. I’d say the big end load needs more bat speed, huge snap and strong hands to make it all happen.

The sweet spot is generally around the KE when it’s brand new, but it loosens up after a million hits (52/300 balls) and eventually the whole barrel will launch rockets.

If you are consistently finding the SS on a shorter barrel, I wouldn't change anything. Your bat is actually travelling faster towards the endcap on any given swing so having the SS closer to the end is advantageous, IF you can consistently find it.

I think the main reason the DC is so popular is because the large SS and heavy endload help compensate for inconsistency; you have a 6" area where you get good performance and the endload helps power through balls that are mis-hit slightly. But on balls hit perfectly on the sweetspot I don't think it offers any advantage.

This is where I am confused and torn. I have bolded the items.

I understand (with the help of ShortYellowBus) that my wing with the DC will be slower. With that, my exit speeds would be slower.

I know for a fact I do hit a few balls on my Freak30 at the IK or KE. I feel it in my hands on impact. By that I mean, when I don't feel anything on impact the ball is flying. So my goal here is to find a bat - hopefully the DC that will move the SS to the IK and the KE.

I am confused if the DC will accomplish that. Again, I do get that the DC will be a slower swing - so I hope I can learn to swing it like I swing my Freak 30. After all I came from always swinging a balanced bat.

Forgive my on my analogy, but if the Freak 30 has shown me I have superpowers (hitting with power and to the fence) and I can consistently hit or be near the SS... wouldn't the DC unleash my superpowers and thus be unlimited? Meaning my mis-hits around the IK and KE be very good hits. I am not saying my mis-hits on the IK and KE on the Freak 30 is bad, but I clearly can tell the differences - especially when I go opposite field.

Basically I am looking for a bat that will grant me unlimited superpowers. Like my son always says, use your super powers dad!

Hopefully this all makes sense and is clear to you guys. Thanks again!

EDIT: if my progression shouldn't be a DC, but a Primo Supermax - then I get it. I am gravitating to the DC because all of the talk her. I don't know anyone that swings one, so all of this info I am reading here is interesting to say the least. I do believe that extra 0.5oz end load will help me immensely. I know the short barreled Freak 30 is not forgiving at all.

I am batting .800 (estimate). Most games I am batting close to 1.000 with a ton of base hits. If that helps on the decision making.

Last edited:

superfli18

Addicted to Softballfans
IHAVE THE SHORT barell miken freak barel 12 inch supermax and its lights out
Hows the weighting? I usually swing 27-27.5 oz El bats (0.5-1oz) so was going to grab a 27. But also saw a review where the guy said to go down an ounce bc it swings heavy for weight. But no others review ive seen mention issues with weighting.

ShortYellowBus

Hows the weighting? I usually swing 27-27.5 oz El bats (0.5-1oz) so was going to grab a 27. But also saw a review where the guy said to go down an ounce bc it swings heavy for weight. But no others review ive seen mention issues with weighting.
The Supermax end load is felt more on the lighter bats. At 27 or 28, the end load is lessened because weight is merely added to the handle to go up in overall weight. At 28, it feels closer the .5oz Maxload.

It is a much closer to the Freak30 specs. And it’s a great swinging bat!

superfli18

Addicted to Softballfans
The Supermax end load is felt more on the lighter bats. At 27 or 28, the end load is lessened because weight is merely added to the handle to go up in overall weight. At 28, it feels closer the .5oz Maxload.

Interesting! Thanks. Now that u said that it makes me feel less crazy! Lol. I have always swung 27-28oz bats. But the other day a buddy bought same bat as me... DB44 Naut but his was 26 vs my 27. I picked his up to compare to mine. While my bat was noticeably heavier. The EL was more pronounced on his which actually made it smoother to swing!

T Dot

Extra Hitter

So what you both are saying, is to keep the whip feeling during a swing - its almost better to stay 26oz or under. I swing a 27oz maxload right now. I am trying my best to move up to supermax.

ShortYellowBus

I think moving down in weight is a bad idea. If you’re trying to compensate or swing differently to swing a specific bat, just swing something else. More often than not, you’ll regret getting a lighter bat.

A lot of people tell me all the time that they wished they would’ve purchased the heavier bat weight that they normally swing.

To elaborate.

Bat reviewers don’t have the same swing as you do. If you swing 27, stick with 27. You’re not buying a sledgehammer or a watermelon. One Half ounce at the end of the barrel isn’t going to make that bat whip more or less.

If you want more whip, get a flex handle bat and make sure you’re snapping the wrists correctly.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is where I am confused and torn. I have bolded the items.

I understand (with the help of ShortYellowBus) that my wing with the DC will be slower. With that, my exit speeds would be slower.

I know for a fact I do hit a few balls on my Freak30 at the IK or KE. I feel it in my hands on impact. By that I mean, when I don't feel anything on impact the ball is flying. So my goal here is to find a bat - hopefully the DC that will move the SS to the IK and the KE.

I am confused if the DC will accomplish that. Again, I do get that the DC will be a slower swing - so I hope I can learn to swing it like I swing my Freak 30. After all I came from always swinging a balanced bat.

Forgive my on my analogy, but if the Freak 30 has shown me I have superpowers (hitting with power and to the fence) and I can consistently hit or be near the SS... wouldn't the DC unleash my superpowers and thus be unlimited? Meaning my mis-hits around the IK and KE be very good hits. I am not saying my mis-hits on the IK and KE on the Freak 30 is bad, but I clearly can tell the differences - especially when I go opposite field.

Basically I am looking for a bat that will grant me unlimited superpowers. Like my son always says, use your super powers dad!

Hopefully this all makes sense and is clear to you guys. Thanks again!

EDIT: if my progression shouldn't be a DC, but a Primo Supermax - then I get it. I am gravitating to the DC because all of the talk her. I don't know anyone that swings one, so all of this info I am reading here is interesting to say the least. I do believe that extra 0.5oz end load will help me immensely. I know the short barreled Freak 30 is not forgiving at all.

I am batting .800 (estimate). Most games I am batting close to 1.000 with a ton of base hits. If that helps on the decision making.

If you're getting a lot of mi****s towards your hands, going to a DC would make some sense.

If the heavier bat slows your swing speed down, I don't believe that necessarily hurts your BBS. There are a lot more variables in your swing that are more important. I know guys that can't hit with heavier bats, and I know guys that can't hit with lighter bats. You won't know until you try.

The biggest factors are you will lose some consistency if you're constantly switching between two wildly different bats. These two shouldn't be that far off. Breaking the bat in is the biggest factor for it's performance. I have a teammate with one that's not broken in and every other Miken we have out hit it. Once broken in, it would be equal to or better than every bat we have, but he won't put the swings on it because he got a few bad ones and gave up on it.

T Dot

Extra Hitter
I think moving down in weight is a bad idea. If you’re trying to compensate or swing differently to swing a specific bat, just swing something else. More often than not, you’ll regret getting a lighter bat.

A lot of people tell me all the time that they wished they would’ve purchased the heavier bat weight that they normally swing.

To elaborate.

Bat reviewers don’t have the same swing as you do. If you swing 27, stick with 27. You’re not buying a sledgehammer or a watermelon. One Half ounce at the end of the barrel isn’t going to make that bat whip more or less.

If you want more whip, get a flex handle bat and make sure you’re snapping the wrists correctly.

I just picked up a 2019 Freak 30 supermax. So I hope you are partially right on this one. There are a few things you mentioned, also with a couple of other guys - that made me stick with the 12inch barrel for now. Only thing is I got a 26oz. Thats the part I hope you are wrong - crossing fingers.

Last year I was practicing with a mix of 27oz and 28oz. I had zero pop off a 28oz and my body was just not ready for it. I settled with a 27oz maxload and have gamed that for 3 weeks now. All things considering I am doing well with it, but fair better pulling the ball. However, I feel as if there is a lack of speed with an inside-out or a 2 step swing.

I really wanted a 27oz and just go up to supermax - but I couldn't find anything and was getting impatient. A player from another team also suggested me going down weight (to 26oz) as I am a little guy. He said little guys don't swing heavy weights.

We will see how I fair.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ignore teammates that say stupid things like little guys don't swing heavy weights, and a 27 isn't a heavy weight. I've never seen a Freak30 supermax.

T Dot

Extra Hitter
If you're getting a lot of mi****s towards your hands, going to a DC would make some sense.

If the heavier bat slows your swing speed down, I don't believe that necessarily hurts your BBS. There are a lot more variables in your swing that are more important. I know guys that can't hit with heavier bats, and I know guys that can't hit with lighter bats. You won't know until you try.

The biggest factors are you will lose some consistency if you're constantly switching between two wildly different bats. These two shouldn't be that far off. Breaking the bat in is the biggest factor for it's performance. I have a teammate with one that's not broken in and every other Miken we have out hit it. Once broken in, it would be equal to or better than every bat we have, but he won't put the swings on it because he got a few bad ones and gave up on it.

I am getting better with my pitch selection after discovering my new power.

I think you are spot on about trying it and finding out. I won't know until I try it. I know my ceiling is 27/28, so I guess this 26 will really tell me.

T Dot

Extra Hitter
Ignore teammates that say stupid things like little guys don't swing heavy weights, and a 27 isn't a heavy weight. I've never seen a Freak30 supermax.

My bad, I was looking at a bunch of bats last night. I bought this and it looked like my F30

http://forums.softballfans.com/threads/two-usssa-garbage-mikens.1460695/

Hopefully this is close to my F30 just more end load and different paint. It’s a 26oz and hopefully my bat speed is insane.

We will see when it comes in.

my mis-hits are the inside out pitches I throw to the other side. I take a lot of middle inside pitches and push it.

Mr. G

(213) L.A. Confidential
Good choice in the Primo Supermax 12”.

If you like short barrels, but wanted a bigger endload, you grabbed a great bat.

-G

Hawkeye92

OG Midget Mafia
All of the bats that you have mentioned are excellent sticks. If I were you, I would focus less on the length of the barrel and more on fixing your swing to hit the sweet spot consistently. Good hitters are going to hit well with either bat. If you are hitting the handle with the shorter barrel, chances are you will still hit the handle with the longer barrel because it sounds like you might be overreaching or casting in your swing. Do some tee work, take tons of BP, and Focus on keeping your elbows in. Watch the ball the way to the bat. Also, learn which pitches you hit the best. Wait on that pitch location in the games until you have 2 strikes. If you get your perfect pitch early in the count, be aggressive and drive it. It took me a long time to learn this. I used to go up to the plate and swing at any pitch if it looked like it was going to be a strike. Make sure you are swinging at YOUR pitch and you’ll have more success.

Side note: why is your Utrip league using 52/300 balls?
Will they let you swing ASA Only bats?

Last edited:

Hawkeye92

OG Midget Mafia
my mis-hits are the inside out pitches I throw to the other side. I take a lot of middle inside pitches and push it.
This right here .
Learn to go with the pitch. If you are trying to force an inside pitch the other way, you are setting yourself up for failure. As a pitcher, when I face a batter that I know likes to go back side, I feed him nothing but pitches on the inner half of the plate and play to his weakness. . The smart hitters will go with the pitch and pull the ball. . If a hitter still tries to take that inside pitch the other way, more often than not we will get the out.

T Dot

Extra Hitter
This right here .
Learn to go with the pitch. If you are trying to force an inside pitch the other way, you are setting yourself up for failure. As a pitcher, when I face a batter that I know likes to go back side, I feed him nothing but pitches on the inner half of the plate and play to his weakness. . The smart hitters will go with the pitch and pull the ball. . If a hitter still tries to take that inside pitch the other way, more often than not we will get the out.

Thank you for the response, I appreciate it.

Please allow me to put more context into this. I’m usually going oppo after my first pull AB. I push oppo as they give me the 3 4 hole. I can hit that hole, self jamming or not - I just feel I lack the big power that happens when I pull the ball.

When I go open, I rarely see 2B attempt to field the ball - so I feel the ball is moving decently, but I think it could be significantly more.

You’re right, I shouldn’t hit the ball that way - but they dare me by giving me a huge hole. Most of the time I go that way is during an RBI situation. I like hitting the ball behind the runner. If they attempt to throw at them I try my best to take extra bases.

Inside pitches are my favorite pitches to hit. Also going oppo makes 3B come off the line just enough for my next AB.

I don’t know why, but when there is a runner I tend to force a ball oppo. 9/10 it works.

I was hoping a 14inch DC barrel will have a little more pop near the handle. I’m not hitting the handle actually, just more on the IK that just the K.

Hope this clears things up a little.

T Dot

Extra Hitter
All of the bats that you have mentioned are excellent sticks. If I were you, I would focus less on the length of the barrel and more on fixing your swing to hit the sweet spot consistently. Good hitters are going to hit well with either bat. If you are hitting the handle with the shorter barrel, chances are you will still hit the handle with the longer barrel because it sounds like you might be overreaching or casting in your swing. Do some tee work, take tons of BP, and Focus on keeping your elbows in. Watch the ball the way to the bat. Also, learn which pitches you hit the best. Wait on that pitch location in the games until you have 2 strikes. If you get your perfect pitch early in the count, be aggressive and drive it. It took me a long time to learn this. I used to go up to the plate and swing at any pitch if it looked like it was going to be a strike. Make sure you are swinging at YOUR pitch and you’ll have more success.

Side note: why is your Utrip league using 52/300 balls?
Will they let you swing ASA Only bats?

I am not sure why they use those balls? I don’t know much about balls and what specific bat I should be using. Are there much better Miken bats that can handle that ball? I reviewed the website a couple of days ago - they do not allow ASA bats.

I think you are spot on with me taking more BP. I do not practice taking an inside ball OPPO, so I am self inflicting jamming myself. I think I need to BP more and decide if a 2step is the way to go for me moving forward.

I also wanted to advance my learning curve and ‘cheat’ with a 14inch barrel until I get better with a 12inch and go oppo.

You’re also right, I get gunshy and do not drive that perfect pitch early in the count. I should do more of that.

Going to focus on this tomorrow and see how I do.

T Dot

Extra Hitter
Good choice in the Primo Supermax 12”.

If you like short barrels, but wanted a bigger endload, you grabbed a great bat.

-G

I think this might be the bat for me. Took me a while to get accustomed to the maxload. Now it’s time to step up to the supermax.

basilray

The endload on the DC-41 this year feels a bit light to me, at least in the 26oz model, which is all I've swung.

Just got in an Anarchy Mountie in 26oz, and it feels WAY more endloaded