Deadbeat Teammates

flyout

Addicted to Softballfans
Everbody wants to play but nobody wants to pay. Tonight got stood up at the bar where we all meet to pay fees. It's a sign that I'm gonna have to get more aggressive with my collection efforts. Really pisses me off when I go to all the trouble to register online the day of the deadline and people say they will commit and then hem and haw about it afterward. I swear this is the LAST time I go through this. I'll retire before I do this again!!!

end of rant - any worse than that???

anthonyw3828

Addicted to Softballfans
Everbody wants to play but nobody wants to pay. Tonight got stood up at the bar where we all meet to pay fees. It's a sign that I'm gonna have to get more aggressive with my collection efforts. Really pisses me off when I go to all the trouble to register online the day of the deadline and people say they will commit and then hem and haw about it afterward. I swear this is the LAST time I go through this. I'll retire before I do this again!!!

end of rant - any worse than that???

I loved it :rolleyes: when players let you know 330 am sat that they are sick and going to ER. my vajayjay hurts...... etc.......

I shut my team down, trying to find a group to pick up with is harder tho.

joesmoe2012

Insane Dedication
I've been dealing with this with ump fees. I don't think $3 a person a game is asking much. Nobody has been paying and I've been fronting it now for 5 games. Told em I'm done and we will forfiet from now on. I'm not sponsoring the team so I'm done paying $20 a game to play.

moorerm04

Addicted to Softballfans
Thats why I only play on teams that have been established for a while....I tried to get a team together with some of my better players from one league, and some of the guys I play tournament ball with and it was a joke. Everyone said they would play but then I couldnt get ahold of anyone, and some of the guys that said they counldnt play were butching cause I didnt call them after they had already said no. Its too much work, and then you end up eating about half of the league fee's or tournament buy in's.

matte22

Addicted to Softballfans
ya everybody seems to think they are to good to pay to play softball.but pay to bowl and golf.WTF.:mad:

Jkmbones

Mizuno. Next Question?
The better a player thinks he is... The less he thinks ... he should pay! Same dudes that want to hit the best balls.. Etc.

DanGer1285

Addicted to Softballfans
I took over a team this year, but still have the former captain sharing responsibilities with me. I deal with the day to day stuff, he collected league fees and conspires with me behind the scenes. We didn't have an issue getting the fees from everyone this season, but I fronted the team jersey order ($500 or so). Most of the guys paid up before the jerseys were in, or the day they were received (5 or 6 weeks ago) - one guy paid me literally 3 days ago. It was a little frustrating, but he did pay up so no hard feelings in the end. Means he will still get an invite back next team, hah.

I also front tournament fees, and I have yet to have a problem collecting from people. I call them deadbeats from the start and bully them into paying me, they show up to the first game with the money and I walk out of there with too much cash on me.

xethicx

Addicted to Softballfans
Dude do I EVER know what you mean, Ive been running teams for a long time. Chasing people for money is impossible so it was simple, I just told people, no pay, no play and I set a date for payment. I know i know, seems easier said than done but if youre hard nosed enough, it works.

The REAL pet peeve for me is when I plan everything and lock everything down, confirm everyone and everything just to have someone tell me they cant play or found another team etc etc.. this annoys the piss out of me because sometimes I have already printed their jersey and then the financials dont match up and Ive got an open spot that is impossible to fill a week before the season.

groundforce#1

Part Time Player
Listen to this guys lol two teamates played on my team for the last three years for free this year when asked to pitch in for entry fees unis etc.. i dont have money cant pay every one else no problems at all. The two in question my two brothers beat that boys

kjlee85

i had this problem once and moved on without them. i dont collect umpire fees at the field because its too much of an issue of collecting which would be $1.50 per person per game at the place i play at. i also dont like putting the umpire fees on a different person each game in case they forget so its best just to add it it to the league fee i collect. i dont include playoffs and i eat those fees because i usually only include guarantee games and if i included the first playoff game it would make the league fee $76.50, so $75 is easier.

SandyWH

#Delicious
League tourney is tomorrow. 17 guys have played with us this season. Yet I'm having to go to the rolodex to find a tenth for the f'n tournament.

Been doing this now for 8 years. In the fall, no one wants to pay. In the summer, no one wants to play.

I'd almost rather chase guys down for money than beg guys to play when there is more than just beer on the line.

oppo

Coach
Lots of selfish bums out there that don't give a ****. I have never understood how it can be so difficult for someone to pay a few bucks for their fees or how they can expect someone else to pay it for them. They need to grow the **** up.

SandyWH

#Delicious
Lots of selfish bums out there that don't give a ****. I have never understood how it can be so difficult for someone to pay a few bucks for their fees or how they can expect someone else to pay it for them. They need to grow the **** up.

Local Rec League Fees (18 games + 2GG tourney) = $60
Round of golf at the local course = $60
Avengers 3D + snacks at the movies = $60
10 frames of Bowling for 1 + shoe rental = $17.50
Taking the wife to Outback + bottle of wine = $70

unreal how guys can't seem to pony up $60 for a minimum of 20 hrs of ball, but can drop $60 for activities that last less than 4 hours.

Devil Dog

You like soup?
Listen to this guys lol two teamates played on my team for the last three years for free this year when asked to pitch in for entry fees unis etc.. i dont have money cant pay every one else no problems at all. The two in question my two brothers beat that boys

The **** did you just type?

hatemail

Starting Player
to be honest id be ashamed to show up and play knowing damn well that i didnt pay....obviously this doesnt count for getting picked up in the parking lot by teams that are short that night but you get the point...

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
i only run one team per season(vball in the winter, hockey in the summer, yeah i know...) and it's for a reason, it's a pain.

but that being said, you guys don't sound like you're doing much to help out either.

i have a couple very simple rules. #1, i front no money ever. so if the registration is due in may, and i need money to register. i'm organizing the roster in feb, confirming in march, and collecting in april. you can't pay me first week in april, i replace you. i've never had a problem with finding ppl interested to play, so replacing somebody is a lot easier than chasing them halfway through the season.

as for all the hidden costs. you collect those up front as well. nobody wants to bring 2bux for ump fees every game, it's annoying. you collect that at the start of the year, just like the price of balls, new scoresheets, etc.

if you try to do everything last minute, that's when you get yourself into trouble. it's hard to pick up paying players part-way through the season. it's hard to collect small amounts from guys every game. and it's unreasonable to get mad at players missing games just because you're not organized enough to have spares. if guys are cancelling REALLY late, you fill out your roster and let them know the reason they have to sit half a game is because they aren't reliable enough. it might take a couple seasons, but the first ppl to ditch teams due to 'not getting enough playing time' are almost always the ones that will no-show last minute, and put themselves first whenever possible. good team players will stick it out, and those are the ones you want.

first year i ran vball, i had 12 ppl, and we only got to play half the time, ppl would no-show without even calling just assuming we'd have enough, it was a nightmare. now it's down to 8(2 subs) and i haven't had to call in a spare except for weddings and other major events that i'm given weeks of notice for. everybody who's left is committed, pays quickly, and gives me appropriate notice when they miss. and if they didn't, i'd ask one of the 5 ppl that's been begging to join the team to take their spot.

i play on a team run by a friend, and he always does everything last minute and then gets pissed at everybody not paying on time. the team has been going for 4 years now and nothing has improved. maybe you're just being too nice, but there are things you can do to make things easier. maybe that's finding better team mates

EvilE

Daddy 2011!!!!
I pay every time on time in full.......No exceptions.

Sank you. Sank you berry much!:D
timthumb.php

71bama17

Addicted to Softballfans
My fav is "hey guys bought a new bat this week, but sorry coach don't have enough for league fees"

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
My fav is "hey guys bought a new bat this week, but sorry coach don't have enough for league fees"

What about the guys that bring a 12 pack of beer in a cooler full of ice every week, but can't buy a bat, so they use yours or pay for league fees and stiff the manage??..Double deadbeats!!!

Terrapin

Addicted to Softballfans
Every game we're scrounging for guys because people are busy golfing, watching TV, working, jerking off, etc. I wish every guy had to pay $100 up front. At least then they'd show the hell up for the games.