USSSA Defensive/pitching alignment question

My local league switched over to USSSA at the start of this season. I have a female on the team who would like to pitch and I was wondering if I could have her pitch with a female catcher or if it has to be a male catcher for a female pitcher. Any and all help would be much appreciated as well as the rule so that I can make note of it in the event of it being allowed and someone making a claim that it isn't allowed.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
USSSA Rule 14 governs the mixed game (coed). Just says you need to have 5 and 5 (or 6 and 6 if AH is used) and that they alternate in the lineup. I don't see in the 2021 published slowpitch rules where it says where the division on defense must be. I don't call USSSA slowpitch, though, so if other instruction has been given to umpires on this, I'm not privy to it.

FWIW, USA softball does specify that you need to have one male as pitcher/catcher and one female as pitcher/catcher. Also 2/2 infield and 2/2 outfield.

USSSA Rule 14 governs the mixed game (coed). Just says you need to have 5 and 5 (or 6 and 6 if AH is used) and that they alternate in the lineup. I don't see in the 2021 published slowpitch rules where it says where the division on defense must be. I don't call USSSA slowpitch, though, so if other instruction has been given to umpires on this, I'm not privy to it.

FWIW, USA softball does specify that you need to have one male as pitcher/catcher and one female as pitcher/catcher. Also 2/2 infield and 2/2 outfield.
Thank you for the insight brother.

tuells10

hitting slow rollers to the pitcher is my game
likely a league rule everywhere around here does that in coed ball pitcher /catcher has to be male/female opposite of each other

likely a league rule everywhere around here does that in coed ball pitcher /catcher has to be male/female opposite of each other
That's what I am thinking because I can't find it anywhere in the rulebook. I would love to have a female pitcher on my coed team with a female catcher so I could play the outfield or SS. My biggest problem with a female pitcher in my coed league is that the first time a guy blasts middle on her I would then start doing the same as would the rest of the guys on my team. We are a little bit over-protective of our ladies.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
There are no limitations on where you can play female players in Mixed in USSSA according to the national rulebook. If you wanted to play an all male infield and all female outfield it would be legal. It is a common local rule to require two female players in the infield and outfield, just like it's a common local rule to have a restraining line. At the national level, you can play 8 infielders if you want, anything you could do in the field in men's or women's you can do in Mixed.

It's very hard to find a rule that allows you to do something, most rules restrict you from doing something. I would ask where in the rulebook it says that you can't do that. Depending on what state you're in, you may need to take it up the chain to the state UIC, Regional UIC, National UIC or National Director of Officials. You can contact me if you are having issues. I leave for FL next week and will be seeing and speaking with all of the Regional UICs as well as the National UIC and Director of Officials.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
That's what I am thinking because I can't find it anywhere in the rulebook. I would love to have a female pitcher on my coed team with a female catcher so I could play the outfield or SS. My biggest problem with a female pitcher in my coed league is that the first time a guy blasts middle on her I would then start doing the same as would the rest of the guys on my team. We are a little bit over-protective of our ladies.

If that were true, you wouldn't have them pitch in a game where men hit the ball.

blakcherry329

Male/female/other should be ready for balls coming at them, no pun intended. It's part of the field, especially in tournament play. League is a little different, imo.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Male/female/other should be ready for balls coming at them, no pun intended. It's part of the field, especially in tournament play. League is a little different, imo.

League is even worse bc many of them don't understand the "unwritten rules" in regards to what's acceptable or not. And that's their ONE outlet a week to be competitive. Also, in general, less bat control! Putting a woman on the mound with men playing is a ***** move by the coach. Complaining about dudes hitting anywhere near her is even a bigger ***** move! And it can ALL be prevented by having some sense....which I know isn't all that common in softball.

blakcherry329

League is even worse bc many of them don't understand the "unwritten rules" in regards to what's acceptable or not. And that's their ONE outlet a week to be competitive. Also, in general, less bat control! Putting a woman on the mound with men playing is a ***** move by the coach. Complaining about dudes hitting anywhere near her is even a bigger ***** move! And it can ALL be prevented by having some sense....which I know isn't all that common in softball.
Exactly. I wouldn't put an inexperienced woman there, for sure.(guys are expendable, but I digress. lol).