Describe One Of Your Best Defensive Plays

nike33kjk

Addicted to Softballfans
Playing fall ball years ago, the other team didn't have enough guys show up but wanted to play. So being the Rookie on our team, I got picked to join them and that team sticks me in right field. Two outs, guy on first, I get a routine grounder hit to me in right so I charge and fire across to third, on the fly, BANG-BANG he's out! I think nothing of it but the guy I threw out (being my regular teammate) was pissed at me.

defos

This play was fairly routine, but I wish it had been caught on video for the way I ended it. I was playing well back on the grass at SS, figuring I could get to any ground ball to the left side and get the force at 2nd. What I wasn't prepared for, was the batter hitting a routine grounder to the 2nd baseman. I took off as hard as I could for 2nd, knowing it was going to be an extremely close play. I saw the runner and I were going to get to the base at the same time, and I knew I didn't want my foot planted on the base when he got there. I caught the throw from my 2nd baseman, beat the runner by a hair for the out, and did a 270 degree flip over the runner who made a perfect slide. My left elbow scraped the ground first, and I thought, "This is gonna hurt!" just before I landed with my full weight directly on the end of my thigh bone in my hip socket. Seems impossible, but I managed to do it! Knocked every joint in my pelvis and spine out of alignment. I was pretty much numb all over, but stayed in the game. Next inning, I was in a lot of pain, and the last inning, I could barely move. Everyone, including the runner, thought he had taken my legs out with his slide, but he never touched me. I had somehow hit the base with my foot, and immediately jerked it backwards - while the other foot was still off the ground - which caused the flip. I couldn't do that on purpose if I had to.

This was Oct 2007, about 6 weeks after I turned 52. Went to the chiropractor, healed up, and was looking forward to the last game of the year the next Sunday, but I suffered a "mild" concussion in a car wreck Saturday afternoon and had to miss the game.

blakcherry329

Threw a guy out at first from LF on a base hit. He was just jogging to first and puffing his chest out to his bench because he just thought he won the game. I threw him out before the fast guy on second could score. We won in extras. They were p****d at him. Haha
I got thrown out on from LF for the first time, in a league game. I smoked the ball and the guy made a good play on a short hop. Not mad at all. But I am going for Gel shots in my knees today. :)l'm just glad I can still play at a competitive level. ;)

trippy1313

Starting Player
Alrighty.... I'm an outfielder. My arm is pretty weak these day, but I'm still a great outfielder, when it comes to getting to the ball and having a good glove out there.

But occasionally I like to take an inning or two in the infield through the season. I'm decent at getting to the ball, but my infield arm is TERRIBLE. It's the pressure.... I freak out and nearly always miss whoever I'm throwing it to.

Last season our 3rd baseman slipped rounding first and dislocated his shoulder, so I got some fill in time at 3rd.

First inning I got in, had 3 screamers in one inning, one I dove to the right, hit the ground, and made it it 1st just in time, second was above my head I made a tiny hop for, caught. Then they got a single, and the next was another hard hit to my right, and made the throw to 2nd. So I assisted/made all 3 outs that inning. My proudest defensive moment.

I've had many great outfield plays I remember, but I'm comfortable in the outfield. That inning at 3rd was outstanding for me.

Brickhouse3

I have a few as I’m known to lay out a lot and am known more for my outfielding than my hitting 😂

My best had to have been last year, first game of the season. It was mid-game with two outs and the bases loaded. I’m playing RC and the batter hits a little blooper to RF that our right fielder will not get to. I get a great jump but in my mind know it’s going to fall. I’m running as fast as I possibly can as the ball is hanging and my mind went from “I’m never going to get there…to MAYBE!”. On basically pure instinct I launched myself in what my teammates called the most Superman like dive they’ve seen in a game. I don’t remember feeling/seeing the ball go into my glove. What I do remember was landing on the ground followed by a summersault and realizing my glove was no longer on my left hand but I was hugging it against my chest. In one fluent motion while tumbling I remember putting my hand back into my glove while coming to my knees and raising my left arm to show the ump the ball in my glove. An emphatic “Out” call followed by my my teammates hollering and the batter tipping his cap to me were what I recall next. Based on the impact it should’ve hurt a bit but adrenaline is a hell of a thing.

10R

Addicted to Softballfans
Playing shallow LC. Batter hits a liner to shallow RC. RC fielder is playing deep. Runner on first heads for third. I cut the hit off in shallow right with a feet first slide. I stand up with my weight going into right field and put everything I have in the throw to 3B. The ball lands short in the outfield, about 15 feet past the SS. One of the hops hits the lip of the grass and corrects the trajectory right to the third basemen, who scoops and tags the runner out.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
OK - So this thread needs another nudge for more stories... I have enjoyed reading those posted already...

This is not about one single play, but the fact that in one game I got SIX hits back up the middle - all of them for outs.

One hit was a line drive - the other five were bouncers - Three thrown out at first & two thrown out at second..

Four of the outs were inning ending.

Not bragging, cause it's only league .... but it's fun to get some action on the mound when it's not a threat to your face ... :)

%%%

Last edited: