ASA Did the ump blow this call?

Flyman

GEAUX TIGERS!!
Last night, we had guys on 2nd and 3rd. Batter hits a grounder to 3B, and the 3B air mails the throw to 1B. Ball goes out of play. The ump sends the runner who was on 3rd home for a run, but he doesn't let the guy on 2nd score...makes him stop at 3rd. :confused:

I argued with him that it made no sense to award the batter 2nd (ie, two bases), but only award the runner on 2nd one base. I argued that the runner on 2nd should be awarded two bases and be sent home, but he refused.

Was I wrong?

nwillz13

Addicted to Softballfans
I do not think you were wrong, it does not matter where the throw is from if it goes out of play, it is 2 bases, and because he was already on second, he should of been awarded home. I think the ump blew that one.

Nwillz

Flyman

GEAUX TIGERS!!
I was pretty sure he was wrong. I even used the following scenario to try to convince him: If we had a runner on 1st at the time the ball was hit, would he just have awarded him 2nd (since blue said baserunners only get one base)? So when the batter gets 2nd, will we just have two baserunners at 2nd?

The logic didn't get me anywhere.

sleak112

Coach
I have always seen just one awarded base for an out of play overthrow. I have played a ton of ASA ball and tourneys and have never seen the 2 base thing. If it is two bases I have been getting shafted for years.

johnsonrod

Starting Player
I have always seen just one awarded base for an out of play overthrow. I have played a ton of ASA ball and tourneys and have never seen the 2 base thing. If it is two bases I have been getting shafted for years.

if a batter hits the ball to the SS, who then throws it out of play, in your "ton of ASA ball" every time they put the batter on 1st base and not 2nd??

either you are mistaken or you have the worst umps in the history of umpiring

sleak112

Coach
Batter gets second. ^^^^

But I have never seen a runner on second automatically get awarded home on an over throw to first base. We always get umps like flyman is bitching about. I guess it makes sense to give them two bases, however I have yet to see it. Overthrows are a very rare occasion in our league.

johnsonrod

Starting Player
Batter gets second. ^^^^

But I have never seen a runner on second automatically get awarded home on an over throw to first base. We always get umps like flyman is bitching about. I guess it makes sense to give them two bases, however I have yet to see it. Overthrows are a very rare occasion in our league.

i didnt know major players played league ball

quick question umps,if your not sure where the runners were when the over throw happen,how do you decide what to award.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Well, you can't watch an instant replay...

And you can't say, "I don't know, let me think about it awhile"...

It's part of your job to watch the runners. That can get tricky when there are multiple runners- or more runners than umpires- and you might have other things to be watching. When the ball is overthrown, you have to make the best estimation of where the runners where based on any possible shred of evidence presented to you on the play. That might be anything from a quick glance out the corner of your eye as the ball is being fielded to looking where the runners are when the ball actually becomes dead.

Soak in everything you can and make the best call you can with whatever you have to work with.

kinda what i ended up doing,getting to old for this crap and with a bad achilles.we had 1b and 2b with a ball to deep short,he acted like he was gonna go to 3rd(so i started down the line) than he airmailed it past first.i did the guestimation and pushed everyone 2 bases from start of play as i figured no one had made the next base.

i had forgot about all the prols you can have blueing.:eek: