Dive/Slide instinct

89FoxBody

Addicted to Softballfans
Maybe you guys can help me out with this.

This year is my first year of playing Men's League softball. Last 3 years I've played rec league beer games on Sunday mornings...swing what you bring, 270 foot fence, get drunk, no balls and strikes. Basically as informal as it gets.

This year I'm playing in an an alright league. No real mashers hitting the ball 400' but a few guys putting them over 10ft fences at 300' with metals (all metal league).

I've been hitting the ball pretty well so far and making solid contact consistently, driving in runs, etc.

My predicament is on defense. I'm a huge baseball nerd so I know the fundamentals like the back of my hand, I work on my swing all the time, do throwing/bat speed exercises. I catch everything that's hit to me and I range pretty well in all directions. My judgement of the ball has come a long way. This is my first real experience in the OF against guys who get solid hits.

How did you develop your diving/sliding instinct? Tonight I played LF and 2 balls were hit to me that if I had slid to catch I would have had easily, but I didn't, and one of them bounced off my shin. Both led to runs, and we lost the game by 1 after tying it up in the bottom of the 7th.

Are there any drills or exercises anyone does for this?

I never played baseball in school so I never got a feel for diving or sliding...but my defensive game needs work, especially in this area.

Sorry for the long thread, thanks for your help...

LuckyMatthews

#SelfProclaimedEastonGuru
I never do any drills for it, but I will go after it in BP to learn my own range. The best thing you can do is talk to your other outfielders. Be sure they are always backing you up, especially if you play 4 in the OF. If you know someone will be there and you only give up 1 extra base on a miss, you need to go after it......pending the situation. For me it happens so fast, I'm usually sliding or laying out before I know what's happening haha.

89FoxBody

Addicted to Softballfans
Fair enough...and what I expected...I'm guessing it's something that will only come with time and experience. I do alright on defense but definitely want to improve.

injury

Star Player
I never do any drills for it, but I will go after it in BP to learn my own range. The best thing you can do is talk to your other outfielders. Be sure they are always backing you up, especially if you play 4 in the OF. If you know someone will be there and you only give up 1 extra base on a miss, you need to go after it......pending the situation. For me it happens so fast, I'm usually sliding or laying out before I know what's happening haha.

Spot on everything. Back ups seems to be a lost fundamental on lots of teams. When you can go balls out to try and make the out and the worst case scenario is you miss and it's just a single because backup is there it frees you up to go for it.

Frisco Kid

Addicted to Metal
Practice. A lot. Shag as many balls as possible. When you and your team go hit BP, get out there and shag as much as you can.

In this case, more is more.

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
I don't have the "dive/slide instinct." If I get to the ball, I've got it. Otherwise I'll just make sure it stays in front of me.

theBOMBsquad

Addicted to Softballfans
Have faith in yourself and your teammates. Make sure you are backed up. But in BP when you shag balls practice some sliding catches. I wouldn't recommend diving in case you don't hurt yourself. Remember if you slide or dive keep your eye on the ball keep it in front of you. You don't wanna be the guy trying to be an Allstar diving and missing the ball

raynskyama

The Veteran
You got lots of work to do if you wanna get there...most of us get there as kids...not much fear and our bodies are can take the punishment at a young age...I still have the instinct to dive...a lot...more then most of my team I think...but at 30 y/o...it really f'n hurts

klperry

Addicted to Softballfans
I think what most of the posters said is correct. For me, I don't "think", I just slide or dive. If you "think" it is prolly to late. Once I started diving, it was over. My teammates think that I slow up just so I can dive.

crushthatball

それに愚痴を吸う
Be glad you're in LF instead of RF with most people being right handed. At least you have that going for you.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
89 Foxbody say wat

I haz a 90 Foxbody

but to answer your question.... Just like Lucky said the more time you spend out there the better you'll get at judging what's in your range as far as diving and sliding. I'm no outfielder by any means, but have did my fair share of diving and sliding on the infield.

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't have the instinct in the IF when the lazers are hit but in the OF I have the instinct to dive if I'm going forward. For some reason, I never dive laterally or for a ball slightly over my head, only for balls in front of me.

You have to know the guys next to you. Talk about situations he needs to know that you are gonna break on the ball and try to make the play. Nothing worse than if you miss it and no one is there to back you up. Alot of it is instinct, keep your eye on the ball and your natural reaction should be the glove to it. When diving foward do not fully extend yourself with out support ( ie use your throwing arm to cushion the impact with the ground) you can jam or tear something in your shoulder. I know from expierence

marshall

Addicted to Softballfans
For me, I usually know right as the ball is hit if I am going to have to slide or dive. IMO don't hesitate either. Once you hesitate, you're going to end up getting it on an in-between hop or miss it altogether.

89FoxBody

Addicted to Softballfans
More practice it is...haha. I try to get out there at least 2-3 times a week just to shag some balls either before games or right before the gym. Thanks everyone for your help. It's tough starting from nothing and trying to catch up to guys who have been playing. Appreciate everyone's advice.

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
You have to know the guys next to you. Talk about situations he needs to know that you are gonna break on the ball and try to make the play. Nothing worse than if you miss it and no one is there to back you up. Alot of it is instinct, keep your eye on the ball and your natural reaction should be the glove to it. When diving foward do not fully extend yourself with out support ( ie use your throwing arm to cushion the impact with the ground) you can jam or tear something in your shoulder. I know from expierence

This is true. Happened to me in April on a full extension where I was reaching to catch the ball (didn't catch it BTW) and my shoulder has been off ever since. Make sure you support or can land on your chest/thighs and not your shoulder/arm.

softballin101

Addicted to Softballfans
I would practice getting a jump on the ball and work on speed rather than diving. I've never had to dive for a ball because I usually catch up to it. I'm interested in learning this too. I've just never stretched out for balls because the situations are few and far between and the rare situations that I do come across, I'm usually not backed up.

Frisco Kid

Addicted to Metal
I would practice getting a jump on the ball and work on speed rather than diving. I've never had to dive for a ball because I usually catch up to it. I'm interested in learning this too. I've just never stretched out for balls because the situations are few and far between and the rare situations that I do come across, I'm usually not backed up.

This is what I was getting at. If you get a good jump on the ball (and you'll learn this by practicing as much as you can), you won't have to dive after it. One of the things I see new outfielders do all the time is to take that wrong first step on a hit. The one you see all the time is them taking a step forward on line drives. Next thing you know, the ball's over their head. You gotta be able to tell what the ball's gonna do right off the bat.

Chilli_Dipper

Las3rSh0w
This is what I was getting at. If you get a good jump on the ball (and you'll learn this by practicing as much as you can), you won't have to dive after it. One of the things I see new outfielders do all the time is to take that wrong first step on a hit. The one you see all the time is them taking a step forward on line drives. Next thing you know, the ball's over their head. You gotta be able to tell what the ball's gonna do right off the bat.

this...the first step is so critical, and then beating the ball to the spot..but for me its instinct to lay out for balls and im always laying out.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
The basic rule for diving/sliding to catch a ball in the outfield is.....don't.

WAY more balls will get by you than you will stop. It's the #1 in the park home run. By the time ypou pick your ass up and retrieve the ball from the fence line, even a slow runner is approaching third base.

I'm not saying never do it but you need to take everything into consideration.

To avoid getting in that situation, get a quick break on the ball and don't give up on it until the very last second. A lot of times you wil cover enough ground to catch it underhand, at your knees. A lot of outfielders pull up way too soon. Take two more steps and hold you glove out!!

That said, you need to know when to bail and make it a one hop single.

Work on your quick break and judgement instead of your diving/sliding.

Frisco Kid

Addicted to Metal
this...the first step is so critical, and then beating the ball to the spot..but for me its instinct to lay out for balls and im always laying out.

I don't deny that there are times where you flat out just have to dive after the ball. But if you can cut the number of times you need to do this, you'll be better off in the long run. It's like with Marvin Bernard on the Giants years and years ago. Some people thought he was this great outfielder because he would make all these diving catches. Game after game, all these diving catches. Well, the reason why he was diving so much was because he took ****ty routes to the ball. LOL.

So to the OP, as I said earlier, if I were you I'd just get as much OF practice as I could. Work on that first step, getting a good jump on the ball, taking the most efficient route, etc. Then when you've got that down, start working on your dives. Because there is a way to go about it... there are definitely things you need to work on... like not landing on your wrist in an awkward way, or making sure that that finger (if you play with your finger outside the glove) is tucked in so you don't bend it back on certain plays.

Probably the most important thing to learn: when NOT to dive.

Chilli_Dipper

Las3rSh0w
I don't deny that there are times where you flat out just have to dive after the ball. But if you can cut the number of times you need to do this, you'll be better off in the long run. It's like with Marvin Bernard on the Giants years and years ago. Some people thought he was this great outfielder because he would make all these diving catches. Game after game, all these diving catches. Well, the reason why he was diving so much was because he took ****ty routes to the ball. LOL.

So to the OP, as I said earlier, if I were you I'd just get as much OF practice as I could. Work on that first step, getting a good jump on the ball, taking the most efficient route, etc. Then when you've got that down, start working on your dives. Because there is a way to go about it... there are definitely things you need to work on... like not landing on your wrist in an awkward way, or making sure that that finger (if you play with your finger outside the glove) is tucked in so you don't bend it back on certain plays.

I agree people that run routes like Christopher Columbus tend to dive much more..but i just love laying out so who knows i either cant read a damn ball or something but ill make the play :D

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
The basic rule for diving/sliding to catch a ball in the outfield is.....don't.

WAY more balls will get by you than you will stop. It's the #1 in the park home run. By the time ypou pick your ass up and retrieve the ball from the fence line, even a slow runner is approaching third base.

I'm not saying never do it but you need to take everything into consideration.

To avoid getting in that situation, get a quick break on the ball and don't give up on it until the very last second. A lot of times you wil cover enough ground to catch it underhand, at your knees. A lot of outfielders pull up way too soon. Take two more steps and hold you glove out!!

That said, you need to know when to bail and make it a one hop single.

Work on your quick break and judgement instead of your diving/sliding.

This is solid advice. I don't ever want to have to dive so if I am a step faster or a split second quicker in reading the ball and making a break, that could be the difference.

I agree that too many OF give up too early though. If you can catch the ball off the hop, you could have caught it for an out in most cases. Some line drives are hit too hard to react fast enough and are down before you can move, but that doesn't happen too often.

bodie1204

Addicted to Softballfans
Seems I agree with the consensus, it is a learned ability and time a practice will give it to you. You just have to know what your body can do (which is usually overestimated by most softball players) and play it to its full potential. I don't want to say dive when shagging in BP cause people can get injured that way, but I will say my whole life in little league through college when someone was hitting, it was game situation in my mind. Make a game of it. My 2 cents.

bodie1204

Addicted to Softballfans
Plus if you make a diving catch you can play the little dun nuh nuh, duh nuh nuh ESPN music in your head. Pimpin' aint easy. :)