Do you use heavy/warm up ball

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
Everyone is nailing it so far. 12", leather, stitching like a real ball. Two tone would be my choice. For weights, It'd be nice if you sold them as singles (different weight options) and maybe a 3 pack? 10, 12, 14 oz?

RAPTOR62

Banned User
yea I forgot to mention, cannonball will break a new glove in nicely, gets a deep pocket and stretches out the lacing a bit

FAT JESUS

More than likely
I agree with Vipvanilla, 12", Leather cover, and the single and three pack idea is one to go with. Maybe a Bobby Buggs training dvd with the three pack?

Dan&Cori

Addicted to Softballfans
I use a cannonball as well. Helps to really open the shoulder up, starting very short distances and moving to back a little, and then finishing off with a regular ball. The only thing I would prefer over the cannonball is something 12". If you came out with something 12,14,16 ounces, I know a couple other guys on my team as well who would buy one. The two-tone would help to quickly distinguish which ball in the bag is the heavy ball instead of picking them all up first, so I do like that idea.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
I have a 9oz and 12oz ball. I love the 12oz and rarely use the other. Use the same cover and stitching as the bp balls and you'll have something great.

My 12oz ball is black and tough to use before night games.

Nacirema85

Addicted to Softballfans
Throwing a football forces me to have good mechanics
Gives me better velocity and distance for my average arm

I would actually argue that this is detrimental to your mechanics of baseball and softball.

Baseball/softball throw comes over the top and the arm comes across.

Football will come from an L angle, tuck the elbow in, then snap over. Essentially tomahawking the air in front of you.

usafshelland

Addicted to Softballfans
The only attribute to me would be cheaper than what's already out on the market... just because you give me a real ball feel doesn't mean I'm going to pay $20+ for it when I can get a weighted ball for much cheaper. Besides, it's just a warm up ball...

686smog

Addicted to Softballfans
I use the sklz 12oz weighted practice ball it's perfect. Any thing heavier hurts after a few throws. Just wish it was not black.

Last edited:

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
The only attribute to me would be cheaper than what's already out on the market... just because you give me a real ball feel doesn't mean I'm going to pay $20+ for it when I can get a weighted ball for much cheaper. Besides, it's just a warm up ball...

Message received loud an clear

OneZero

Showboat
There's a company that makes different variations of what is being discussed here; leather cover, different colors, but they only go up to 12oz. Plus their heavy ball is maroon and difficult to see at night. That's why I bought the cannonball and I love it. But, if I could get a 12", leather cover, evil bp colored 16oz weighted ball for ~$15 I'd buy one.

Build a better mousetrap... :)

nutmegs

IDGAFOS
Close to producing the new Evil Heavy weight ball, wondering how many use them and which kind?
what would you want to see in a heavy ball?
I use a cannonball. Hard rubber so catching it in the palm every once in a while doesn't hurt. If need be rubber allows it to be bounced off the ground or off a wall etc.

Frequently people don't want to do long toss before games so it's essential.

nutmegs

IDGAFOS
I agree with Vipvanilla, 12", Leather cover, and the single and three pack idea is one to go with. Maybe a Bobby Buggs training dvd with the three pack?

This would be awesome. I have the baseball version of this but the weights are too light. And the feel is too small of course.

firemanbutch

~Brag Post~ ;)
Throwing a football forces me to have good mechanics
Gives me better velocity and distance for my average arm

Throwing a football does NOT force you to have good mechanics. This is an absurd statement. You can throw a football sidearmed, 3/4 or over the top, doesn't imporove your mechanics in any way.

I would actually argue that this is detrimental to your mechanics of baseball and softball.

Baseball/softball throw comes over the top and the arm comes across.

Football will come from an L angle, tuck the elbow in, then snap over. Essentially tomahawking the air in front of you.

^^^^This is exactly what I was thinking. Glad I read through the rest of the posts to see someone else already said it.

I agree with a lot of what's been said. 12" opposed to the 11" cannonball would be nice. I don't use one for long toss but like to use one to loosen up the arm before I start playing catch with a normal ball. I do like the 16 oz. version. Just my .02.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Just getting the art work completed. It will be a 2 color leather cover with black stitching, 12 inch size and a bit lighter than 16 oz.

B17

Where's Larsen?
This is easy make it 12". My cannonball is only 11", don't think they make a 12"..... also better for breaking in gloves so pocket is right size. I don't like using right before games like some guys cause feels it messes with aim in infield.

I use a 12" weighted softball made by Champion Sports. It is heavy though. It weighs 17.5 oz. Champro also makes 12" weighted softballs from 9 oz. to 12 oz. that has a stripe pattern to watch rotation.

tomdonohue1

Vandelay Industries
Those things are so bad for your arm. Keep using it, and you'll eventually need TJ or AC surgery.

There is a reason that you never see MLB players using weighted balls before the game. Just throw long-toss with a normal ball. That will strengthen & loosen your arm much more effectively.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
This is easy make it 12". My cannonball is only 11", don't think they make a 12"..... also better for breaking in gloves so pocket is right size. I don't like using right before games like some guys cause feels it messes with aim in infield.

12" 4 sure and I always warm up with it. And I never hurt my rag err I mean arm :rolleyes:

sleepin4matty

Management Material
I use one all the time to stretch the shoulder out before games.
I use the rubber ones now but would like one with a leather feel.

I use one of these as well. A leather two color one isn't a bad idea. Maybe a similar color scheme to the bp balls perhaps? Maybe replace the white with black to note that the ball is a heavy ball.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
Those things are so bad for your arm. Keep using it, and you'll eventually need TJ or AC surgery.

There is a reason that you never see MLB players using weighted balls before the game. Just throw long-toss with a normal ball. That will strengthen & loosen your arm much more effectively.

Please show me the research you've done on this one. Especially any research anybody using one of these PROPERLY that got injured. If you utilize poor mechanics and try to throw one of these balls hard you will definitely ruin your shoulder/elbow, if used properly you should be fine.