Everybody was worried about the pitching rules
and too many guys took a line drive in the family
jewels.I looked around and everybody was at
Pilates Class or cutting their grass. I looked
around and it was gone.
Man this forum is empty.My apology to Dion

QBA-RCN

Getting older sucks!!
This is similiar to what it looks like: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scnqqecEXhM[/ame]

Dsteven21

Star Player
I play modified in central new jersey, there are a couple o leagues in the new brunswick/perth amboy/ and plainfield areas. They are spanish leagues for the most part.

cheeks159

Addicted to Softballfans
In that video above, it's totally illegal. You can't step backwards first! First move has to be forward. That is not a good indication of what modified is.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
Then somone give me a good indication of what it is!

How many players on the field at a time

What type of balls do you use

What type of bats do you use

Is there a limit on homeruns

What is the size of the field you play on ?

Duriisimo

Aguilucho
How many players on the field at a time 9 or 10

What type of balls do you use Here in FL we use Clincher Gold

What type of bats do you use usually No bat rules

Is there a limit on homeruns No

What is the size of the field you play on ? 46ft pitcher rubber 65/70 ft bases,

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
How many players on the field at a time 9 or 10

What type of balls do you use Here in FL we use Clincher Gold

What type of bats do you use usually No bat rules

What is the size of the field you play on ? 46ft pitcher rubber 65/70 ft bases,

what size field you play on? Standard fast pitch which is 200 ft or standard slow pitch which is 300 ft?

SammyJaxxx

Starting Player
How many players on the field at a time 10

What type of balls do you use Evil 52/300

What type of bats do you use Wood

What is the size of the field you play on ? Open Field-no fences

How many players on the field at a time - 10

What type of balls do you use - clincher/ clincher gold

What type of bats do you use - ASA 2004 2013 + approved bats list

Is there a limit on homeruns - lol no

What is the size of the field you play on ? 275 to the corners clincher gold
Usually no fences clincher reg, but sometimes 250
---------------

Modified is going to the same place men's fast pitch has gone

To Australia? Lol no, its actually alive and well up north, michigan has modified states and nationals still, WI ive heard has some good teams, cleveland has leagues, philly and PA have some great teams ive seen, edison old bridge central NJ, NYC and long island and connecticut as well, and some great teams come out of boston and new england as well, slow pitch starts in toms river, new jersey and goes south to the whole country from there as far as the east coast is concerned, i imagine some modified hiding in baltimore as well though.

Pretty much the north midwest to tristate and new england vacinity.

THESHOE

Starting Player
It's slow pitch, with a strike zone and a guy/girl who has to pitch without a hop or windmill. Can't reach above the shoulder or hop. Only a forward step with the back foot on the rubber.

Here at least.

It's dying, no one cares.

Rec slo pitch took over, hard to argue a lob ball that left above your head and hits the mat or board as not being a strike.

Plus most everyone, no matter skill level, manages to hit the lob ball.

Defensively, much less boring as everyone basically crushes lob balls.

That's my take at least.

I'd only play modified to pitch. Otherwise, I prefer slo pitch.

Still don't understand why people can't just play full on men's fast pitch or get with slo pitch. These tweener formats only make for mild interest.

:yawn:

How many players on the field at a time

What type of balls do you use

What type of bats do you use

Is there a limit on homeruns

What is the size of the field you play on ?

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
It's slow pitch, with a strike zone and a guy/girl who has to pitch without a hop or windmill. Can't reach above the shoulder or hop. Only a forward step with the back foot on the rubber.

Here at least.

It's dying, no one cares.

Rec slo pitch took over, hard to argue a lob ball that left above your head and hits the mat or board as not being a strike.

Plus most everyone, no matter skill level, manages to hit the lob ball.

Defensively, much less boring as everyone basically crushes lob balls.

That's my take at least.

I'd only play modified to pitch. Otherwise, I prefer slo pitch.

Still don't understand why people can't just play full on men's fast pitch or get with slo pitch. These tweener formats only make for mild interest.

:yawn:

I find it totally different than slo-pitch, for a number of reasons, and I much prefer it. Here are a few:

- The pitcher has a lot of impact on the game, but not too much like you might find with windmill. If you can pitch fast, mix speeds, and hit corners, you can make batters way more uncomfortable than slo-pitch, but can't take the bat out of peoples hands completely.
- I find it way more fun defensively than slo pitch. Specifically because people don't have as much control when hitting. You take away the guys that can just sit on a slo pitch and hammer it out of the park every time, or hammer it through the infield so hard that infielders don't have a chance to react, or guys that can simply place the ball anywhere on the field at will. This results in way more ground ball outs than I see in slo pitch. Batting averages for my league are closer to .500, where it is much higher in slo pitch. We also play in a smaller park (250 - 280 ft fences), with 9 men on the field.
- All positions matter, including back catcher. If you try to hide a weak player behind the plate, people will steal bases on you all day. You really can't hide a bad player anywhere.
- You get to steal bases! This is a big element of the game that you can't have in slo pitch.

Why don't we just play fast pitch or slo pitch? Because when you are older than 25 and younger than 60, I think modified is more fun by far.

- You throw a good 19 year-old fast pitch pitcher at most slo pitch and modified players, and they will dominate. There is no fun in that.
- Ask someone who played baseball or fast pitch their whole life to play slo pitch, and they will probably hate hitting a ball dropping straight down.

Modified is just the right mix for me, and I can continue playing it until I'm 60. Shoe, I'll text you to come check out one of our games this summer.

Reactions: GAM

THESHOE

Starting Player
I'm not going to disagree with your points, I would certainly tend to agree with you 100% on likely all of them.

Problem is though, a lot of people still won't care to try it.

For coed, likely makes my significant other completely obsolete to be rather frank.

In mens, many of my buddies straight up wouldn't play over the challenge of the game and lack of fun with crushing lobbed balls.

Positionally I completely agree. But many will argue this takes away to openess of the Rec Level game of Slo Pitch.

There's a few leagues locally, and I do have some friends that play(ed).

The thing is, as you likely know, when it comes to playing tournaments nothing will trump the way Slo Pitch rolls events and etc for adults. So in terms of popularity in comparison, this was the basis behind my post.

Aside from the local modified leagues my acquaintances play in, if they ever talk about going to tournaments, it was with a Slo Pitch team.

FWIW I would love to pitch in that as I used to close games coming in from 1B in fastpitch as a teen, but my fat arse would be useless to most teams on base.

While I am positive i'd shake the rust off at bat and get back to my old teen fastpitch form fairly easy. It's the base running and emphasis on being able to steal etc that would render me useless in that format possibly.

Otherwise, I'd be ok to play I think.

I do agree that it would make for more possible defensive plays than in Slo Pitch.

One of the best times I've had defensively in the last few years of Slo Pitch was in a wood bat tourney Coed playing 3B. All of a sudden very few had the exit speed we are used to and grounders and liners were fieldable.

In my coed and mens Slo P leagues, the defensive game is pretty laughable. 65% at least of hits just zip through a well placed gap and the games are ever high scoring. Most times, with male hitters and a good majority of experienced former fast pitch female players, the ball just zip right through the IF or beats the OF in a gap with ease. It is just lob ball as you say.

Funny you mention fastpitch players not being too keen on Slo Pitch. Worked with 3 new girls fresh off a University team last year looking to join up our team(s) with hitting. They couldn't figure out why as a pitcher I had their number all practice or game long. They went in the box planted looking to hit waist high strikes. Had to teach them the Slo Pitch stride technique and to learn to cut into a higher pitch with forward momentum. They were coachable, but i've seen some give up or get ticked off quickly with it. I know my first exposure was pretty rough. No longer did simple connection on a pitch make for easy out of the park or big scoring hits. I had to work for those now using my full body and hand eye.

Each version of the game has its pros/cons. But my post was more based on local popularity going the way of Slo Pitch for the masses here and the modified game dying. A lot of leagues are losing full teams or struggling to keep afloat as many flock to more competitive and bigger slo pitch leagues.

I get what you mean about age. Same reason there was a time after 21 where I kept playing Field Lacrosse, while having quit indoor Box Lax, since field was a version of the game with some contact and hitting but not the full on rough indoor version and not converting to the dull contact free "Masters" version of the game right away. Even to this day, I think the Masters version of Box Lacrosse is stupid. Probably why half our old junior team is together playing Slo Pitch and no longer into Lacrosse now. LOL

I find it totally different than slo-pitch, for a number of reasons, and I much prefer it. Here are a few:

- The pitcher has a lot of impact on the game, but not too much like you might find with windmill. If you can pitch fast, mix speeds, and hit corners, you can make batters way more uncomfortable than slo-pitch, but can't take the bat out of peoples hands completely.
- I find it way more fun defensively than slo pitch. Specifically because people don't have as much control when hitting. You take away the guys that can just sit on a slo pitch and hammer it out of the park every time, or hammer it through the infield so hard that infielders don't have a chance to react, or guys that can simply place the ball anywhere on the field at will. This results in way more ground ball outs than I see in slo pitch. Batting averages for my league are closer to .500, where it is much higher in slo pitch. We also play in a smaller park (250 - 280 ft fences), with 9 men on the field.
- All positions matter, including back catcher. If you try to hide a weak player behind the plate, people will steal bases on you all day. You really can't hide a bad player anywhere.
- You get to steal bases! This is a big element of the game that you can't have in slo pitch.

Why don't we just play fast pitch or slo pitch? Because when you are older than 25 and younger than 60, I think modified is more fun by far.

- You throw a good 19 year-old fast pitch pitcher at most slo pitch and modified players, and they will dominate. There is no fun in that.
- Ask someone who played baseball or fast pitch their whole life to play slo pitch, and they will probably hate hitting a ball dropping straight down.

Modified is just the right mix for me, and I can continue playing it until I'm 60. Shoe, I'll text you to come check out one of our games this summer.

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree with you. There is no tournament presence for modified, outside of Quebec and the East coast. I play slo pitch as well, specifically so that I can play with my wife, and as a former baseball player (me) and former fast pitch player (wife), we had a hard time hitting slo pitch. I basically had to shift my swing plane 30 degrees up, and consciously start my swing way way later.

That said, it would really suck if modified actually died, like you say is it. My league in North York/Markham started 10 years ago as a pick up game once a week, and is full this year with 40 teams in 8 division, including one coed division. Several guys that play are former baseball players that have no interest in slo pitch.

B'nai Brith probably has at least as many teams running in Toronto as well.

My league is healthy and not going anywhere soon. Hopefully the game expands more in the future.

THESHOE

Starting Player
Meanwhile the East Point league and others keep poaching players out of that modified league running out of Muirhead park in North York... ;)

I've been invited to play there a few times, I just can't justify adding more ball though.

I totally get what you mean about changing swing. I got very down and angry my first season. It was nothing like any ball i'd played previous.

Then some friends who made the switch helped me out, showed me the mechanical differences etc.

So what ball and bats does your league go with? You guys play out of Mary Ward L'Am diamond right? I think we traded bats once there after a game or something...

I agree with you. There is no tournament presence for modified, outside of Quebec and the East coast. I play slo pitch as well, specifically so that I can play with my wife, and as a former baseball player (me) and former fast pitch player (wife), we had a hard time hitting slo pitch. I basically had to shift my swing plane 30 degrees up, and consciously start my swing way way later.

That said, it would really suck if modified actually died, like you say is it. My league in North York/Markham started 10 years ago as a pick up game once a week, and is full this year with 40 teams in 8 division, including one coed division. Several guys that play are former baseball players that have no interest in slo pitch.

B'nai Brith probably has at least as many teams running in Toronto as well.

My league is healthy and not going anywhere soon. Hopefully the game expands more in the future.

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
Meanwhile the East Point league and others keep poaching players out of that modified league running out of Muirhead park in North York... ;)

I've been invited to play there a few times, I just can't justify adding more ball though.

I totally get what you mean about changing swing. I got very down and angry my first season. It was nothing like any ball i'd played previous.

Then some friends who made the switch helped me out, showed me the mechanical differences etc.

So what ball and bats does your league go with? You guys play out of Mary Ward L'Am diamond right? I think we traded bats once there after a game or something...

We play out of the south L'am parks, Hendon park, and a couple others. When you and I met, we were just having a pick-up to get warmed up for the season. We use Grey Dots (yellow, 40/375 i think), and just last year opened up to new stamp bats. Previously it was ASA2004 and ISF only.

Maybe that league is just not run well. We have solid umpires, great diamonds, and a well run league in general, so there doesn't seem to be any leakage of players/teams.

THESHOE

Starting Player
Nice.

Yeah I didn't realize it was connected to the Hendon Park modified games...

I know some people that play there and tried to entice me on board.

Any chance you've had a chick named Michelle ump games? Very good fast pitch player on the mound and at 3B.

Good friend of mine, last I heard she was umping some of that ball and was trying to start up a team and get me on board, Mondays being the problem as I already play with the wifey at East Point.

We play out of the south L'am parks, Hendon park, and a couple others. When you and I met, we were just having a pick-up to get warmed up for the season. We use Grey Dots (yellow, 40/375 i think), and just last year opened up to new stamp bats. Previously it was ASA2004 and ISF only.

Maybe that league is just not run well. We have solid umpires, great diamonds, and a well run league in general, so there doesn't seem to be any leakage of players/teams.

blakcherry329

Latino Leagues are alive and well in NNJ(JC, North Bergen, Newark). Clincher and 9 man. No bunting/stealing. Definitely not strict with the pitching motion. lol. Good leagues. Lot's of former minor leaguers. Great ballplayers.

I think I might be done with modified, however. I started having pinched nerve issues right behind the scapula on my pitching shoulder. Bothers me sometimes for modified pitching. Not so much for slow pitch.

The thing I really hate about slow pitch, as opposed to modified/fast pitch, is NO BATTER'S BOX. You can't work the batter in slow pitch. He can stand as far back as he wants. I hate that. You really have no control over the game, other than just throwing strikes.

THESHOE

Starting Player
There are ways...

You get to know the hitters, and then mess with them.

You just have to understand sometimes that some guys held to just a single deserves an MVP award LOL.

You get to learn to pitch against what they wait for or want.

You can play mind games with them, funny what 2 balls wide off the plate in a row can do to a hot headed batter. When he sees the strike he furiously makes an error into an out.

The thing I really hate about slow pitch, as opposed to modified/fast pitch, is NO BATTER'S BOX. You can't work the batter in slow pitch. He can stand as far back as he wants. I hate that. You really have no control over the game, other than just throwing strikes.

midnite6

Addicted to Softballfans
Central Jersey and Staten Island plays 10 men on field. Leagues use Clincher Gold, no hr limit. Jersey is limited bunting not on Staten Island. ASA only bats with Jersey compression testing before season as well as before playoffs. Fields are either baseball , or softball fields. Most fields have no fences whicj sometimes in the better leagues where fields are across from one another the outfielders from different teams are playing next to one another Guys throw in the range of 40-65 depending on the league and divisions. Also have some older guys that throw knuckle balls as well as junk mixed in. Most guys use composite slow pitch bats with some aluminum mixed in as well but 90 % composite.

nfranken

Addicted to Softballfans
My league is quite different from the city leagues. I play in a rural coal country modified league in PA. We use restricted flight Dudley balls with fences that are only 240-260 feet. We counter these short fences by using only single wall, one piece, all aluminum bats. This really cuts down on the 300 foot home runs and really makes us focus on line drives, much more like baseball than slow pitch. We are also a strict modified league, with umpires who will actually call you for turning your hips, snapping your wrist, etc. We don't even use many ASA umps. In fact, anyone can really umpire. Everyone knows the rules. IMO, our league is much more focused on the fundamentals of the game, instead of going up to the plate and just trying to jack it as far as possible. Bunting and stealing is allowed, and all teams utilize the bunt. We have 12 teams and have been around 10-12 teams for about 10 years now. My teams travels some to tournaments, including states and nationals and we usually do well, even against the power teams from the cities around the area.