ASA donuts on end of bats

oppo

Coach
Actually, we tell the players we'll wait until they return to start the game. The players have themselves to blame for not listening to their managers, assuming their managers told them in the first place.
If the TD or LD decides that only legal bats are to be there and lets people know, then in my opinion it then becomes a rule. Like many things in life, communication is key. That is another thing rules do. They communicate to the players what is expected. In your scenario, it sounds like there was a rule in place and waiting on them was a courtesy.

Secondly, what good does a rule do? Nothing. Players break/skirt/bend/argue rules all the time. Making it a "rule" will accomplish zilch.

What good do rules do? What makes a ball a ball? What makes a strike a strike? What makes a force out a force out? Why are you out after 3 strikes? Why do you get to walk to first after 4 balls? Why are you out if a fielder catches the ball? It is all because of the rules. Our entire society including the game of softball is full of rules because rules create order.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
What good do rules do? What makes a ball a ball? What makes a strike a strike? What makes a force out a force out? Why are you out after 3 strikes? Why do you get to walk to first after 4 balls? Why are you out if a fielder catches the ball? It is all because of the rules. Our entire society including the game of softball is full of rules because rules create order.

No, in my not-so-humble opinion, they mop up the mess when order is lost.

johnsonrod

Starting Player
I'll be critical of umpires when I think it's unwarranted. I'll leave it to armchair quarterbacks like yourself to throw them under the bus and kick them while they're down.

The differences you fail to recognize are as follows:

1 - The ASA Code does not apply to the local leagues.

I've said all I care to say on the matter. If you aren't getting a clue by now, then you never will. I'm not getting paid to answer your questions. Don't like it? Call someone else and cry.

Oh, and I reimbursed you for your question via PP. :rolleyes:

what do you mean the asa code does not apply to local leagues. so you are saying that if a league doesnt have a complete rule set there are no rules for these games???? im very confused by that statement.

johnsonrod

Starting Player
Again, there's a difference between managing the rules and managing the game. Getting non-conforming bats out of the dugout is good game management.

what about non conforming balls? why is there seemingly no 'enforcement' on other equipment, surely a stadium ball poses at least, if not much more, danger than a utrip bat

oppo

Coach
what do you mean the asa code does not apply to local leagues. so you are saying that if a league doesnt have a complete rule set there are no rules for these games???? im very confused by that statement.

The ASA code and the ASA rulebook are two different things.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired

Have you even READ the ASA Code? By your statement, it's abundantly clear you haven't. If you had read it, you wouldn't have even posted this.

what about non conforming balls? why is there seemingly no 'enforcement' on other equipment, surely a stadium ball poses at least, if not much more, danger than a utrip bat

Actually, I DO check every ball that goes into the game. Period. I don't care if it's bottom-of-the-barrel coed C league or men's A league. Every now and then, a .47 COR tries to make its way into the game.

johnsonrod

Starting Player
Actually, I DO check every ball that goes into the game. Period. I don't care if it's bottom-of-the-barrel coed C league or men's A league. Every now and then, a .47 COR tries to make its way into the game.

you just made my point for me, and i knew you would, as would 99.99999% of the umpires out there.

you check the balls when they come into the game, you dont check every ball in the dugout and take any non asa approved balls.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
you just made my point for me, and i knew you would, as would 99.99999% of the umpires out there.

you check the balls when they come into the game, you dont check every ball in the dugout and take any non asa approved balls.

Actually, no, I haven't made your point, but thanks for playing.

During tournament, the ball doesn't go to the dugout. It should be left at the pitcher's plate at the end of the half inning. If I see that ball get taken into a dugout, that ball may not be coming back into the game (unless I saw it the whole time).

You're barking up the tree, but the cat left a long time ago.

Actually, no, I haven't made your point, but thanks for playing.

During tournament, the ball doesn't go to the dugout. It should be left at the pitcher's plate at the end of the half inning. If I see that ball get taken into a dugout, that ball may not be coming back into the game (unless I saw it the whole time).

You're barking up the tree, but the cat left a long time ago.

so you never ump,hit your own ball,where the opposing pitcher just keeps the ball.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
so you never ump,hit your own ball,where the opposing pitcher just keeps the ball.

Once more, that's a local league issue. There, we must "do the best we can with what we've got."

But yes, I do. And I doubt the opposing pitcher is ever going to throw in a ball that's hotter than what's already allowed. :rolleyes: