Double hit question

Iceman6409

A batter took a swing at a pitch and clearly nicked it and then on his follow through the ball clearly hit his bat again which at that point caused the ball to clearly go above his and the catchers head. The catcher makes the catch. What is the call?

loxx0050

In my men's league that'd be an out. I've double hit balls before every now and then that landed in fair territory and was awarded the base hit. The double hits that were caught by a fielder I was called out. But it's up to the ump for the day.

One ump mentioned it's not necessarily a legal hit but if everyone plays it out he'd also let it play out (kind of a gray area he implied). Not saying its right but what I've experienced.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Should a foul ball call be determined on the ball hitting the ground or not and wether it initially hit ground in foul territory?

Op does not indicate if ball hit ground after initial nick/contact

A batter took a swing at a pitch and clearly nicked it and then on his follow through the ball clearly hit his bat again which at that point caused the ball to clearly go above his and the catchers head. The catcher makes the catch. What is the call?

NCASA Ump is correct, foul ball, in the SSUSA rulebook, 1..28 Foul ball Para E, When the batted ball hits either the batter or the bat a second time while he is still in the batters box it is a foul ball. Since the majority of the rule book for SSUSA originated from ASA/USA, I assume their rule book is the same.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Should a foul ball call be determined on the ball hitting the ground or not and wether it initially hit ground in foul territory?

Op does not indicate if ball hit ground after initial nick/contact
Whether it hit the ground is actually irrelevant here, it's a foul ball because the batter unintentionally made contact with the ball a second time while in the batter's box. USA Rule 7.6.M Exception 1. USSSA Rule 7.6.Effect. Both of them make it a dead ball foul as soon as it touches the bat a second time while in the batters hands.

I usually only see this call with Youth or in Co-ed, females trying to swing a bat that is too heavy for them and they hit it once near the taper and again near the end cap.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Whether it hit the ground is actually irrelevant here, it's a foul ball because the batter unintentionally made contact with the ball a second time while in the batter's box. USA Rule 7.6.M Exception 1. USSSA Rule 7.6.Effect. Both of them make it a dead ball foul as soon as it touches the bat a second time while in the batters hands.

I usually only see this call with Youth or in Co-ed, females trying to swing a bat that is too heavy for them and they hit it once near the taper and again near the end cap.
Gotcha thanks!I