USSSA double play ?

bentknee

Addicted to Softballfans
hi guys , need a little help ,senior softball exact rule , i was on 1st base ,batter hits ball to shortstop i'm running to 2nd base, runner behind me is pretty fast ,i didn't want to gift wrap a double play so i made minimal effort to veer off and ducked my head also minimally ,1/2 a second makes all the difference ,shortstop didn't make the d/p then appealed to umpire for interference who ruled in my favor, i was always taught to do anything i could to break up a doubleplay , want to know the right way to play , help please , thanks

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
There is no requirement for a runner to veer off or duck their head. In fact veering off is more likely to cause interference. An act of interference can pretty much anything the runner does besides run directly to the next base. If the runner is going directly to the next base it is the responsibility of the fielder to throw around them. There are players and umpires who disagree with this and will throw the ball directly at you to try to get that call, some of them will even get it, but they shouldn't.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
EAJuggalo, I agree with you. A runner simply cannot disappear once they are declared out. Veering off could as you say put the runner more in jeopardy of interference. I find it difficult to call a runner out for doing what they are supposed to do. Any shortstop of second baseman with any training knows the runner is coming down the line and will either continue across the base or step on the base and step back to make a throw down the line without the runner getting hit.

longball101

Part Time Player
Considering its Senior ball, the best thing do do is to veer off..IF..it is a quick out a second, if its going to be close slide in. You come in standing up, chances are you're gonna eat one. No one wants to get hit, no one wants to hit someone intentionally. Just be smart.FHC base running rules

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Considering its Senior ball, the best thing do do is to veer off..IF..it is a quick out a second, if its going to be close slide in. You come in standing up, chances are you're gonna eat one. No one wants to get hit, no one wants to hit someone intentionally. Just be smart.FHC base running rules

As was stated earlier, "veering off" could put the runner in an interference situation. What if the defender assumes the runner is going to veer one way but the runner goes the other way (the same direction as the defender). Now he's in jeopardy of getting hit AND committing interference. Just go to the base. The defender should know that's where the runner is going to go and can throw the ball to first accordingly.

The veering off, from a rule enforcement standpoint, obviously does have the potential to be interpreted as interference. Which is why it's a judgement call, because it can happen at different times when the runner is moving towards the base (early on in the play or at the last second).

Ducking of the head, again from a rule enforcement standpoint, should also be weighed in as well with that judgement call. The runner is making himself a smaller interference object, which is in favor of the fielder. Logically, they don't want to eat a softball but we aren't talking logic, it's about all the factors that play in with that judgement call.

So, there is no clear cut answer other than what the umpire determined at the game.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
The veering off, from a rule enforcement standpoint, obviously does have the potential to be interpreted as interference. Which is why it's a judgement call, because it can happen at different times when the runner is moving towards the base (early on in the play or at the last second).

Ducking of the head, again from a rule enforcement standpoint, should also be weighed in as well with that judgement call. The runner is making himself a smaller interference object, which is in favor of the fielder. Logically, they don't want to eat a softball but we aren't talking logic, it's about all the factors that play in with that judgement call.

So, there is no clear cut answer other than what the umpire determined at the game.

I would have to agree with you on your point "...there is no clear cut answer...". It is strictly the umpires judgment.