Any Dropping an infield fly rule popup

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Walking the 9th hitter to get the free out is bush because there is nothing the other team can do but take an out. All the player on 2nd has to do is know the rules, very different IMO.

johnsonrod

Starting Player
i never understood why the ASA rule doesnt follow the MLB rule for IDB. in MLB, the rule is interpreted as if the fielder intentionally does not catch the ball.... and why is that? bc the same rationale for having an IF rule is behind the IDB rule. there was a play a few years ago, mike lowell, playing for the red sox, dove to his right to snag a line drive, he never closed his mitt around the ball and let the ball trickle out of his glove upon landing on the ground. the 3B ump, before lowell could pick the ball up, ruled IDB.

that being said, i find ASAs definition of IDB to be laughable bc it contradicts the rationale for having the rule in the first place. when i play SS, i pull the IDB about once every 5 games in league play. yes its bush, but if ASA is going to make a bad rule, thats their fault, not mine.

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
i never understood why the ASA rule doesnt follow the MLB rule for IDB. in MLB, the rule is interpreted as if the fielder intentionally does not catch the ball.... and why is that? bc the same rationale for having an IF rule is behind the IDB rule. there was a play a few years ago, mike lowell, playing for the red sox, dove to his right to snag a line drive, he never closed his mitt around the ball and let the ball trickle out of his glove upon landing on the ground. the 3B ump, before lowell could pick the ball up, ruled IDB.

that being said, i find ASAs definition of IDB to be laughable bc it contradicts the rationale for having the rule in the first place. when i play SS, i pull the IDB about once every 5 games in league play. yes its bush, but if ASA is going to make a bad rule, thats their fault, not mine.

Sorry.....not correct........please read the actual OBR (Official Baseball Rule) Rule 6.05 (I).......

(l) An infielder intentionally drops a fair fly ball or line drive, with first, first and
second, first and third, or first, second and third base occupied before two are out.
The ball is dead and runner or runners shall return to their original base or bases;

APPROVED RULING: In this situation, the batter is not out if the infielder permits the ball to drop untouched to the ground, except when the Infield Fly rule applies.

Joel

Last edited:

johnsonrod

Starting Player
Sorry.....not correct........please read the actual OBR (Official Baseball Rule) Rule 6.05 (I).......

(l) An infielder intentionally drops a fair fly ball or line drive, with first, first and
second, first and third, or first, second and third base occupied before two are out.
The ball is dead and runner or runners shall return to their original base or bases;

APPROVED RULING: In this situation, the batter is not out if the infielder permits the ball to drop untouched to the ground, except when the Infield Fly rule applies.

Joel

so it is your contention that a line drive that enters a fielders mitt does so all without being touched???? you do realize that a mitt is basically a quarter sphere right and that it is possible for a ball to enter a mitt and not be caught?

i fully understand what the rule says, its the RS (rule supplement, since you are into explaining the mundane) that dictates how rules are enforced.

mazzamouth

<font color="#191970">Punching Judy Swinger</font>
All baseball and softball rule sets prohibit intentionally dropped balls (with less than two outs and at least first base occupied). The tricky part is that they do not all define an "intentionally dropped ball" the exact same way.

For USSSA: It is illegal to use your glove to guide the ball to the ground, or to let it hit your glove and purposely drop it. If that's what you did- and if they were using USSSA rules- it should have been a dead ball on the drop, batter out, other runners returned to bases held at time of the pitch.

The ASA rule is different. They define an intentionally dropped ball as one that is first actually caught. Under their rules it is legal to knock the ball to the ground, but not to actually catch it then drop it.

For either rule set, it is perfectly legal to let the ball drop to the ground untouched.

And, in either rule set, it is stupid for runners to think they need to advance on a dropped ball after an infield fly has been declared! The batter is out on the infield fly, removning all force outs and removing the need for the runners to advance.

Also in Baseball you can intentionally drop a Infield fly...at at least NCAA and OBR.

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans

That statement made me think that you believed allowing the ball to fall to the ground untouched was a violation in OBR.

Joel

johnsonrod

Starting Player
That statement made me think that you believed allowing the ball to fall to the ground untouched was a violation in OBR.

Joel

fair enough, but if you continue reading the post you will see i give an example of a fielder intentionally not catching the ball, one that is in the air, lets touch his mitt, then fall to the ground. i was assuming everyone understood that you are allowed to let a ball hit the ground.

Tomj2345

aka...TOM A.V.
all baseball and softball rule sets prohibit intentionally dropped balls (with less than two outs and at least first base occupied). The tricky part is that they do not all define an "intentionally dropped ball" the exact same way.

For usssa: It is illegal to use your glove to guide the ball to the ground, or to let it hit your glove and purposely drop it. If that's what you did- and if they were using usssa rules- it should have been a dead ball on the drop, batter out, other runners returned to bases held at time of the pitch.

The asa rule is different. They define an intentionally dropped ball as one that is first actually caught. Under their rules it is legal to knock the ball to the ground, but not to actually catch it then drop it.

For either rule set, it is perfectly legal to let the ball drop to the ground untouched.

And, in either rule set, it is stupid for runners to think they need to advance on a dropped ball after an infield fly has been declared! The batter is out on the infield fly, removning all force outs and removing the need for the runners to advance.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^:d

Tomj2345

aka...TOM A.V.
All baseball and softball rule sets prohibit intentionally dropped balls (with less than two outs and at least first base occupied). The tricky part is that they do not all define an "intentionally dropped ball" the exact same way.

For USSSA: It is illegal to use your glove to guide the ball to the ground, or to let it hit your glove and purposely drop it. If that's what you did- and if they were using USSSA rules- it should have been a dead ball on the drop, batter out, other runners returned to bases held at time of the pitch.

The ASA rule is different. They define an intentionally dropped ball as one that is first actually caught. Under their rules it is legal to knock the ball to the ground, but not to actually catch it then drop it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^Good info here

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Good enough info...except...

If you followed the entire thread you would see that I had one mistake in that post- one exception to the rule that I forgot about and was subsequently corrected. On an Infield Fly, the intentional drop rules does not apply. So, where I said the ball should have been dead on this play, that was incorrect. Since it was an Infield Fly, that takes priority. The batter's still out, but the ball would remain live.

Aside from that one point, everything else is good!