USSSA Ejection penalty

wcoastsoftball

Player gets tossed. Team has immediate replacement for him. Do they still have to take the out the next time the ejected player is up, or can the replacement bat for him without penalty. We thought they had to take the out on the next at bat, then the other player can substitute?

LIKEUCM

In USA/ASA softball, the ejected player has to hit the road, but the sub that entered in his/her place can fill the role of a sub on offense, defense, or as a runner right away.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
A valid sub can and must go in for the ejected player immediately if you have one. The only thing that would require you to take an out in that position is if you don't have a valid sub or the position was vacated by an offensive ejection in E. An offensive ejection is an out every time that spot in the line up comes up, as long as properly appealed.

yance

Addicted to Softballfans
What is considered an offensive ejection? Throwing the bat a second time after being warned?

LIKEUCM

A valid sub can and must go in for the ejected player immediately if you have one. The only thing that would require you to take an out in that position is if you don't have a valid sub or the position was vacated by an offensive ejection in E. An offensive ejection is an out every time that spot in the line up comes up, as long as properly appealed.
In USA/ASA Softball, you are not permitted to play shorthanded as a result of an ejection. If you had someone who could not continue for other reasons, and had to go shorthanded, then yes, you would take an automatic out in that position when the player is due to bat, no appeal would be necessary for that to happen in a shorthanded situation. Not sure what USSSA does, but I believe it is the same. If you do not have a sub for an ejected player, the game is over by forfiet.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
What is considered an offensive ejection? Throwing the bat a second time after being warned?
An offensive ejection is the result of hitting an over the fence home run in E. The player may play defense, but anyone in that batting order position is not allowed to hit, run or coach a base for the remainder of the game. If that player is substituted for the restrictions still stand.

LIKEUCM, would you care to give me a rule citation on that please? As Irish is so fond of saying, what one association does is irrelevant to the others. Rule 11.1 covers playing shorthanded in Men's B,C,D and E.

LIKEUCM

An offensive ejection is the result of hitting an over the fence home run in E. The player may play defense, but anyone in that batting order position is not allowed to hit, run or coach a base for the remainder of the game. If that player is substituted for the restrictions still stand.

LIKEUCM, would you care to give me a rule citation on that please? As Irish is so fond of saying, what one association does is irrelevant to the others. Rule 11.1 covers playing shorthanded in Men's B,C,D and E.
USA SOFTBALL Rule 4 D2A To continue a game once started with a full team listed on the line up card: If a team begins play with the required number of players as listed, that team may continue a game with one less player than is currently in the batting order whenever a player leaves the game for any reason other than ejection. EFFECT: Failure to have the requireday number of eligible players to start or continue a game will result in a forfeit.

LIKEUCM

EAJUGGALO
USA does not have the ejection for home runs in E that you noted. We used to have an inning ending home run in E. Recent rule changes now just makes a home run in E an out. Even with the rule you noted for excess home runs in E , I believe that would be a disqualified player for hitting the home run and not an ejection. You may go shorthanded as a result of a disqualified player, but just not because of an ejection.

LIKEUCM

RULE 4D2A USA 2017
To continue a game once started with a full team listed on the line-up card:
A) If a team begins play with the required number of players as listed, that team may continue a game with one less player than is currently in the batting order whenever a player leaves the game for any reason other than ejection. EFFECT: Failure to have the required number of eligible players to start or continue a game will result in a forfeit.

RNRPLZ

You have no idea what an offensive ejection is. As usual your posts are wrong
Sounds right to me. I have no desire to do usssa ball, but I used to play a lot in the association. Sounds like you may have a league rule for E ball. An ejection is out of site out of sound. Unless it’s a disqualified player. That is different

LIKEUCM

Repeating it doesn't make it less wrong
Sorry for the duplicate post on reply. I thought the first one did not send correctly. Not sure if you are addressing me joker, but if so, how can a quote of the acutal rule to support not playing shorthanded due to an ejection be wrong? Everyone knows that if a player is ejected and you do not have a eligible sub, the game is a forfeit. Am I missing something here?

Joker

you quoted a guy talking about an offensive ejection, that rule has nothing to do with that

LIKEUCM

I am not clear on what an offensive ejection is? I thought an ejection was an ejection regardless of it it involved offensive or defensive player. On the excess homerun situation, would that not be considered as a disqualification, and not an ejection? If that is the case, playing shorthanded would be permitted, correct?

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
In utrip and gsl r result of a homerun over the limit in e (where the limit is 0) is an inning ending it and an offensive ejection. The player is it every time his spot in the order comes up but he is still in the game on defense. He can't run or coach base either as said above. It's a specific penalty so that utrip can penalize people for hitting homeruns.

LIKEUCM

In utrip and gsl r result of a homerun over the limit in e (where the limit is 0) is an inning ending it and an offensive ejection. The player is it every time his spot in the order comes up but he is still in the game on defense. He can't run or coach base either as said above. It's a specific penalty so that utrip can penalize people for hitting homeruns.
jbo911 THANK YOU for the explanation. I live in the ASA/USA world and had not been aware of the offensive ejection that you described. Learned something today... That makes it a good day.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
LIKEUCM: You did notice that the header of this thread lists USSSA correct? We are not talking about ASA and asserting an ASA rule when we are talking about USSSA is exactly what is supposed to be avoided in this forum. If you have a USSSA rule cite that says you can't play shorthanded due to an ejection please post it.

And I explained what an OE was in post #8.

LIKEUCM

E/A My apologies. I thought you were mistaking ejection for disqualification. Did not know about the offensive ejection in Utrip. Have no rule to cite for Utrip on this. I think it is strange to have someone not premitted to play offense and call it an ejection, but that is just my opinion. Will just read the USSA posts moving forward. Did not intend to muddy the waters. The OP seemed to be a simple basic question about entering a sub.