elementary question about adding a player into the lineup

MF'N MGR

Addicted to Softballfans
A team Starts with 9 players. Several innings go by, having batted through the order already, then a 10th man is inserted into the lineup. *Unestablished at the beginning of the game, the said team essentially made way Without taking an out for the 10th man in previous innings.

Can someone tell me if this is ok or wrong?

danielmo

Manager
ASA this is allowed. You are allowed to add to your roster up to 10 at any point in the game. You could not do this with an 11th guy though.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
They should have been made to take an out for that number 10 spot when they only had 9. It's legal to add the 10th and is actually required once they arrive. If they refuse to go in immediately, they are ineligible for the remainder of the game.

As noted, you can't start with 10 and then decide to add the extra hitter later.

MF'N MGR

Addicted to Softballfans
Did their ringer show up a little late?
He wasn't a stud, but my thought process is below:
They should have been made to take an out for that number 10 spot when they only had 9. It's legal to add the 10th and is actually required once they arrive. If they refuse to go in immediately, they are ineligible for the remainder of the game.

As noted, you can't start with 10 and then decide to add the extra hitter later.
Noted and understand all of the above.

Here is what Bob, the League Director sent me in response to the same scenario:

Here is how OUR (SPD) rules are for the league and tournament:

Does not matter, you can play with 8, 9, or 10 players and NOT be penalized for it. In other words if a team has 9 players to start the game and their 10th players arrives at any part of the game, the must bat 10th and the team is NOT penalized at all during the course of the game, meaning they have to take an out in the 10th spot. This is in our rules. I would never penalize a team and forcing them to take an out just because they are short handed, advantage other team as you then should be scoring more if only 3 outfielders"

To me, and I'm not looking to hear what I want to here, it just seems shady that a team won't extend the courtesy of saying "Hey, we're a guy short and the tenth is running late. Do you mind?" If I was a really nice guy, I might let that slide and say don't worry and just throw him in when he gets here. However, in tournament play I'm not that nice and think that Auto out could have closed up some innings a bit quicker. Do I think we should have capitalized on them being shorthanded, of course. It is what it is.

Just had this same thing happen last night in my game. Some one from the other team showed up in the 2 inning. They attempted to bat him in the middle of the order. I called time, and ran into the ump - Asked him about this rule. They made the kid bat last - they tried to get him to bat 5th - He was not in the lineup nor were they taking outs. So he had to be placed in the 10th spot.

Funny how I just read this post this past weekend, and had the same thing happen to me. :p

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
FWIW, JJ, by rule, they can't hold that 5th spot. If they only have the 9 to start, the vacancy is in the 10th spot of the order and that's where any late arrivals will bat. I see it every. damn. night. calling rec 12U and 14U fast pitch. Jenny had a school game. Barbie had dance practice. Susie had swim. Etc. They always want to put Jenny in the leadoff spot, Barbie batting 5th and let Susie bat 10th. I always tell them to not include them on the lineup and add them when they arrive (the rec leagues do continuous batting order here and don't take an out even if below 9). The coaches constantly get messed up if their "ringers" aren't where they want them in the order. You want them there? Get them to the field on time.

Hx214

Addicted to Softballfans
Might be a league thing too.

In our league you can start a game with 9 guys. If we know a guy is coming late, he is in the 10 spot (Like others have said). If he doesn't make it by the time that 10 spot rolls around the order, you either take the out and insert him when he shows up for the next go round, OR you say we are playing with 9 tonight and roll it back to the top, but then you are stuck with only 9 for the rest of the night. If he shows up after you rolled it over and didn't take the out, he is a sub.

Not sure if that is the offical rule, but that's the way they do it here. (6 o'clock games are rough to get 10 guys to.... haha)