Any End of Game Timing Question

IKnowNothing

Addicted to Softballfans
In co-ed tonight we finished the 6th inning with my team winning by 1 (15-14). After the top of the 7th my team was losing by 1 (15-16). In the bottom of the 7th we got bases loaded with 1 out and then the lights went out and couldn't be turned back on (akin to rain starting to pour down in the bottom half of the inning).

There is no special league rule that dictates whether the game is made up or if it is treated as finished after the end of the last full inning. What is the rule in ASA? Is there a different rule in USSSA? We are trying to figure out if we need to reschedule the end of the game or if it is just done. Can anyone send me to the applicable rule in the rulebook?

Thanks.

IKnowNothing

Addicted to Softballfans
I found the 2006 ASA rules online here: http://www.azsoftball.org/misc/2006/Misc/05.softball.umpire.rulebook.pdf, but cant seem to find the full 2010 rules. According to these rules (rule 5, Section 6(A)), the score of a called regulation game shall be the score at the end of the last complete inning, unless the second team at bat has scored an equal number or more runs than the first team at bat in the incomplete inning. In this case, the score shall be that of the incomplete inning.

Therefore, since my team had not scored 2 or more runs in the incomplete inning, the score of the last complete inning governs and my team should win.

Is the rule from 2006 still the rule today?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Since you had already completed 5 innings, it is considered a complete game. The question becomes: what's the final score?

Since you were the home team and your team was losing in the bottom of the 7th, you didn't get an equal chance to earn more runs than the visitors. That being the case, the score reverts back to the previous inning. Since your team was ahead at the end of the 6th, the final score would be 14-15, in favor of your team.

If the score had been tied at the end of the 6th, then ASA says that you would have to pick up where you left off at a later time.

This is, of course, barring any local rules that dictate otherwise.

IKnowNothing

Addicted to Softballfans
thanks a lot. We have local rules but they dont cover this type of situation (e.g., a local rule says only single wall bats).

Can anyone comment if the rule is different for UTrip? Our league doesnt explicitly adopt ASA rules, but I want to be able to show them that no matter which way they want to go, the major softball associations view it a certain way.

USSSA

The Veteran
In co-ed tonight we finished the 6th inning with my team winning by 1 (15-14). After the top of the 7th my team was losing by 1 (15-16). In the bottom of the 7th we got bases loaded with 1 out and then the lights went out and couldn't be turned back on (akin to rain starting to pour down in the bottom half of the inning).

There is no special league rule that dictates whether the game is made up or if it is treated as finished after the end of the last full inning. What is the rule in ASA? Is there a different rule in USSSA? We are trying to figure out if we need to reschedule the end of the game or if it is just done. Can anyone send me to the applicable rule in the rulebook?

Thanks.

reverts back to last completed inning for final score

peck22

Extra Hitter

Thanks.

go to www.asa.com