Fair game or no?

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
Was playing in a local tourney this weekend, and was watching one of the games on the field we were to play on next. Guy hits a moon shot to one of the IFers for the 3rd out, comes back to the bench, walks behind the backstop and throws his Salvo into the trash bin, and then went out to play defense. I considered retrieving it and putting it in my bag, but didn't. After they were done on defense he took it out of the trash can and put it back in his bag.

How long would it needed to have been in the trash can to have been up for grabs?

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
If he'd put it into the trash again after you returned it to his bag, then it's yours for sure. Kudos for being nice to "softball guy."

Cubsuns

Addicted to Softballfans
2 seconds[/QUO

Not quoting any laws but I believe once someone throws anything in a dedicated trash bid hes actually giving away said object and it becomes public property. I would have waited until after the game to be nice.

Hammerin' Hank

Addicted to Softballfans
This happened to a teamate of mine. We just beat a team in the last inning they needed 1 to tie, 2 to win. The last batter comes up and pops out to the 2nd baseman, and flings his demarini doublewall distance into the woods and leaves shortly after, my teammate walked into the woods and grabbed his new bat.

MauriSSio

Part Time Player
Was playing in a local tourney this weekend, and was watching one of the games on the field we were to play on next. Guy hits a moon shot to one of the IFers for the 3rd out, comes back to the bench, walks behind the backstop and throws his Salvo into the trash bin, and then went out to play defense. I considered retrieving it and putting it in my bag, but didn't. After they were done on defense he took it out of the trash can and put it back in his bag.

How long would it needed to have been in the trash can to have been up for grabs?

If the trash can was out of the dugout then theres no reason its not fair game on that one.

petebanta

Addicted to Softballfans
I'd take it right away. If he wants it back, it's $200... unless he is real big... then it is only $100. :p

Legally, anything thrown in a public can is fair game at that moment.