ASA Fake pitches and quick pitching

jimrat201

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm in a regular slowpitch ASA league and I had an umpire get irritated because I tried quick pitches and fakes, he told me it was like throwing a balk??? Is it in the rule book saying you can't do this.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Spoken for truth, you must present the ball.

You don't have to present anything.

Just come to a complete stop for one second, wait for the batter to have his/her balance and pitch the ball. What's with all the monkeying around? This ain't circus ball.

jimrat201

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks, I did not know that. It just sucks because it's like a launching pad for some of these guys and it's nice to throw off there timing

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Thanks, I did not know that. It just sucks because it's like a launching pad for some of these guys and it's nice to throw off there timing

Well, that's why it's slow pitch. It's not a timing game, it's a hitter's game won by the best defense.

If you want a timing game, try men's fast pitch or modified pitch.

Yeah, it's nice, but if you've got a wicked curveball it works out well for you. Also, I don't know if you saw the Border Battle, but if you saw Scott Brown pitching in it, he did something I had never seen before. Aparently you can start your pitching motion, pause half way through it, and then go forward and realease the ball. I'm figuring since this is a game put on by ASA that ASA rules were followed for it.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar

You do realize there are other things you can do to throw off the batters timing right? Try adjusting the height, throw some pitches that move, etc. I like playing USSSA but the fake pitches are just stupid. It just makes me want to hit middle.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Yeah, it's nice, but if you've got a wicked curveball it works out well for you. Also, I don't know if you saw the Border Battle, but if you saw Scott Brown pitching in it, he did something I had never seen before. Aparently you can start your pitching motion, pause half way through it, and then go forward and realease the ball. I'm figuring since this is a game put on by ASA that ASA rules were followed for it.

Didn't see it, but once they start their pitching motion, they must immediately deliver the pitch. If they stop mid-delivery, it's an illegal pitch.

jimrat201

Addicted to Softballfans

Thanks for the info, I will keep that in mind. I will check out Scott Brown.

Triple7

Addicted to Softballfans
Didn't see it, but once they start their pitching motion, they must immediately deliver the pitch. If they stop mid-delivery, it's an illegal pitch.

The way he did it you would have to define where his pitch began. cause he paused with the ball behind his back

Fin09

Addicted to Softballfans
A pitcher can change the speed of his delivery, meaning that he can take the ball back quickly, slow his armswing on the way down, and accelerate it again at the bottom, giving the appearance of stopping the swing. As long as his motion doesn't stop completely. I see some pitchers (who bowl when they're not playing softball) pause ever so slightly at the top of their backswing to mimic their bowling style, but they're still coming forward with their legs/body, giving the appearance of a fluid swing. I haven't called either for an illegal pitch.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
A pitcher can change the speed of his delivery, meaning that he can take the ball back quickly, slow his armswing on the way down, and accelerate it again at the bottom, giving the appearance of stopping the swing. As long as his motion doesn't stop completely. I see some pitchers (who bowl when they're not playing softball) pause ever so slightly at the top of their backswing to mimic their bowling style, but they're still coming forward with their legs/body, giving the appearance of a fluid swing. I haven't called either for an illegal pitch.

That's correct. I've seen plenty of pitchers do this, and the batters often complain that "that's gotta be illegal."

Nope. Nothing in the rules says you can't slow your delivery down.

That sounds more like what was going on. It was just unusual to see when I'm used to the pitcher being the old guy that is just there to fill the middle.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
Had a pitcher on Sunday deliver a quick pitch to one of my batters while he was still out of the box. To return the favor, guy hit middle.

You don't have to present anything.

Just come to a complete stop for one second, wait for the batter to have his/her balance and pitch the ball. What's with all the monkeying around? This ain't circus ball.

ok quick question,after the 1 sec,present/show the ball or what ever ya's wanna call it,:p,i take the ball back past my hip for the first time,how long do i have to start forward with the ball.can i stall for a couple of seconds or so(5-6 seconds),back there,no fakes or movement ,just a complete stop and take up to 5 secs or so to pitch it.

also for the circus act,hey thats utrip and it has its place,personally i like going to the circus and see the clowns.:D

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
ok quick question,after the 1 sec,present/show the ball or what ever ya's wanna call it,:p,i take the ball back past my hip for the first time,how long do i have to start forward with the ball.can i stall for a couple of seconds or so(5-6 seconds),back there,no fakes or movement ,just a complete stop and take up to 5 secs or so to pitch it.

I'd say no (but will defer to the slow pitch experts on the board if they say something different).

That pause seems to violate rules 6-3-A, B & C. Pitcher must not make any motion to pitch without immediately delivering the ball, the delivery must be a continuous motion and there may not be a stop in the pitching motion.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

If you start your motion and stop, it is an IP

Yep, yep, but what we did decide is that a pitcher could vary the speeds in the middle of his/her windup. I once played on a team that the only time we got an out was when the other team hit players back up the middle (I pitched).

USSSA

The Veteran
u can not quick pitch in any game that I know of, in utrip you can fake, but u have only 5 seconds to pitch so u better not do much or the ump will call a ball on the batter

I'd say no (but will defer to the slow pitch experts on the board if they say something different).

That pause seems to violate rules 6-3-A, B & C. Pitcher must not make any motion to pitch without immediately delivering the ball, the delivery must be a continuous motion and there may not be a stop in the pitching motion.

If you start your motion and stop, it is an IP

ok,but i dare anyone to say that it is continuous motion,as when he gets his arm back to start forward,there has to be a stop with the arm,before coming forward.might be very slight but it is the laws of motion.:D

so what all your saying is than once the arm gets back to how ever far the pitcher goes back he immediately needs to come forward.i have used the delay in coming forward and have never been called for it,just saying thats all.

potnation

Starting Player
Thanks for the info, I will keep that in mind. I will check out Scott Brown.

I pitched most of last season for my ASA church league team. Actually, when we made the playoffs, we lost to a guy who was quick pitching us. The ump was allowing this at first, but then he started automatically calling time while the batter was getting set. I almost punched the guy after the game.

If you want to throw off a batter's timing, mix in some knuckle balls with your regular pitches. I try to vary the height of the ball and release points as well.