ASA Fake tag + tossing players

LIKEUCM

Couldn't disagree more. Someone pounding their glove as if to receive the ball is nothing. If a runner hesitates, you have nothing but a stupid runner and inept coach.
Sorry you disagree. I am simply looking at the definition of Obstruction. It is defined as "the act of a defensive team member who impedes the progress of a runner or batter-runner who is legally running the bases. The defensive player may not do so unless he/she has posession of the ball, or is in the act of fielding a batted ball. No contact is necessary to impede the progess of the batter-runner or a runner." If faking recieving a thrown ball by raising the glove and slaping it as if catching the ball impeedes the progress of the runner, you could have obstruction. I wish the term "fake tag" was not in the book, as it is one of many possible forms of obtstruction. I belive fake tag was placed there to focus on the potential for a runner to slide without cause and risk injury. Even the definition of Fake Tag indicates it is a form of obstruction.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Sorry you disagree. I am simply looking at the definition of Obstruction. It is defined as "the act of a defensive team member who impedes the progress of a runner or batter-runner who is legally running the bases. The defensive player may not do so unless he/she has posession of the ball, or is in the act of fielding a batted ball. No contact is necessary to impede the progess of the batter-runner or a runner." If faking recieving a thrown ball by raising the glove and slaping it as if catching the ball impeedes the progress of the runner, you could have obstruction. I wish the term "fake tag" was not in the book, as it is one of many possible forms of obtstruction. I belive fake tag was placed there to focus on the potential for a runner to slide without cause and risk injury. Even the definition of Fake Tag indicates it is a form of obstruction.

You are looking for a problem where none exist. Trickery is not a violation. A coach failing to direct his/her players a reason to find some reason to penalize the defense.

smoke

50AAA USA National Champs
back in the day, fake tags were pretty common, and I slide into 3rd because of said action, well the next time I got on base, I was on second when the next hitter hits one up the middle, I took off running and could of scored with ease, but slide into the 3rd baseman, took him out pretty good. That dude never tried a fake tag on me ever again
SMOKE

LIKEUCM

You are looking for a problem where none exist. Trickery is not a violation. A coach failing to direct his/her players a reason to find some reason to penalize the defense.
Umpires should not be "looking" for anything, but should be acting on what happens on each play. Trickery is a violation if it includes the act of a defensive player that impedes the progress of a runner. If a defensive player is not in posession of the ball or in the act of fielding a batted ball, and they try to trick the runner or batter runner in such a way that impedes the progress of that runner, the rules clearly requires the umpire to signal a delayed dead ball and protect the runner to the base that would have been reached had the action not occurred. It is not our place to decide if "trickery" has a place in the game, but simply to determine if such action violates the existing rules of the game. A coach could be doing a fine job of directing the runner, but in some cases the runner will still react to a fake tag, or a defensive player running toward them as if they were making a play (without the ball). It is obvious that we will just have to agree to disagree on this one. I also feel that failing to call obstruction on these plays could result in some game management issues when teams are "tricking" each other and changing the result of a play that would have resulted otherwise.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Umpires should not be "looking" for anything, but should be acting on what happens on each play. Trickery is a violation if it includes the act of a defensive player that impedes the progress of a runner. If a defensive player is not in posession of the ball or in the act of fielding a batted ball, and they try to trick the runner or batter runner in such a way that impedes the progress of that runner, the rules clearly requires the umpire to signal a delayed dead ball and protect the runner to the base that would have been reached had the action not occurred. It is not our place to decide if "trickery" has a place in the game, but simply to determine if such action violates the existing rules of the game. A coach could be doing a fine job of directing the runner, but in some cases the runner will still react to a fake tag, or a defensive player running toward them as if they were making a play (without the ball). It is obvious that we will just have to agree to disagree on this one. I also feel that failing to call obstruction on these plays could result in some game management issues when teams are "tricking" each other and changing the result of a play that would have resulted otherwise.

A fake tag is a tag without the ball. Slapping one's glove is nothing, nil, zip, nada, period.

23mack23

back in the day, fake tags were pretty common, and I slide into 3rd because of said action, well the next time I got on base, I was on second when the next hitter hits one up the middle, I took off running and could of scored with ease, but slide into the 3rd baseman, took him out pretty good. That dude never tried a fake tag on me ever again
SMOKE
In my humble opinion, if you tried that in a hardball game I was pitching in, next time at the plate you would have had one in the ear-hole, LOL!