Famous pros that hit for average?

Low_Balls

Am I the only one that thinks batting less than .800 in slowpitch softball is horrible?

I play in a co-ed league and lead our team with a .672 average. You must think we're a bunch of clowns. More power to you if it is that easy for you to bat .800+.

Low_Balls

I disagree completely. He gets on base well, he isn't a double play possibility in most cases, and he doesn't strike out often, he puts the ball in play and is very clutch.

Yankees would have taken him in a heartbeat a few years ago, and Ichiro would be making more than he is now.

Its terrible to be 1st or 2nd in Hits and average every year, who would pay a leadoff hitter for that consistency. :rolleyes:

His obp is around .375 for his career. Only people who are higher, for the most part are big mashers who walk alot. Every MLB team would take someone at the top of their lineup getting on base a 38 times out of 100. Runs will score.

He is arguably one of the best hitters EVER.

He is the best hitter I've ever seen. Sure, his style is a bit odd, but he is effective. And while we're on the topic, go Mariners! ...and I'll forgive you guys for tonight!

Camp

Giving Bitches Complexes
Not 800. It's .800. And no.

Again... I play for fun.

So you're correcting me because I didn't put a "." in front of the 800? We all know it's based on 1000 professor league hero. No need to get technical to skew all the attention you're getting. But you're prolly just that guy :)

Camp

Giving Bitches Complexes
Bro... I never said guys who cant hit .800 are wack. I asked the initial question because i figured there are dudes on here that get a hit every single time they come up to bat...

And i was always humble in my statements. I have never said i am better than anyone on here. Dont be a ****tard.

And maybe. Idk. I only considered BA after this thread was posted.

The dreaded double post. Kid you're anything but humble. Correct you didn't say it's wack, you said it's horrible.

Gabonayez

Coach
I think you really set yourself up for hate after this comment:
Followed by...It's cool that you play for fun. Hopefully when you look through the couple of posts I quoted you can see how it would rub some people the wrong way.

I agree abd understand. I misspoke. When i said "why is this so hard for you guys?"

I meant

Why is this so hard for you guys to understand?

8 out of 10 is not that impressive (in short bursts, obv as im speaking)

Over a course of several months or years, i can see how batting .800 would be a task and pretty damn impressive.

Gabonayez

Coach
I play in a co-ed league and lead our team with a .672 average. You must think we're a bunch of clowns. More power to you if it is that easy for you to bat .800+.

Not at all bro. Again, im not an amazing softballer. I just happened to hit 6/7 in my first two games and figured it was easy for all these guys. Ill most likely be <.800 by season end...:eek:

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
Am I the only one that thinks batting less than .800 in slowpitch softball is horrible?

It's this post that got you rolling in the wrong direction.

I'm glad to see that you understand that you misspoke, and know now that batting .800 is a freak occurrence for a player, and not something that is done by someone on a regular basis (with very rare exceptios).

And as far as people who are considered professionals...if softball is their primary paid occupation, they are a professional. I don't know what the contracts for all major players look like, but it's not out of the question at all for there to be players who fit this definition.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
No one is a legit 800 hitter. By saying that your saying he hits 800 year in and year out. Outside of league 800 hitters do not exist. People can touch it a time or two but not consistantly. Which makes you a legit 800 hitter

in the 10 years i've played i've seen maybe 2 .800 hitters in the countless leagues i've played in.

SlapHappy

Addicted to Softballfans
My league has very detailed stats done by a legit scorekeeper at each game. To qualify for all-time leader in each category, you need 450 plate appearances. In the men's leagues, there are no .800 career hitters. There are no .700 career hitters. They also have seasonal records too. Since the seasons are only 8 games each (8 games for Spring, 8 for Summer, 8 for Fall), the season avg record is .903 in 31 ABs. It's all about sample size.

doG

dabz
It's this post that got you rolling in the wrong direction.

I'm glad to see that you understand that you misspoke, and know now that batting .800 is a freak occurrence for a player, and not something that is done by someone on a regular basis (with very rare exceptios).

And as far as people who are considered professionals...if softball is their primary paid occupation, they are a professional. I don't know what the contracts for all major players look like, but it's not out of the question at all for there to be players who fit this definition.

I agree. If you make your primary living doing something you are a professional imo. When you think of "professionals" you think of the MLB, NBA, etc. but anyone who gets paid to play a sport is a pro by my definition.

tomdonohue1

Vandelay Industries
"Famous Pros", haha. This is slowpitch softball, not baseball. The ball comes in at 10 mph, and girls play it.

eHall

Base burglar
Wow.

I keep up with this stuff so I know how hard .800 would be if you're playing against any competition what-so-ever. I keep very strict numbers for OBP, and I think most people would agree with my method.

Walk - GTG, you reached base without an out being recorded or an error committed.
Sacrifice Fly - No such thing in softball, no one TRIES to hit a sac fly. It's an OUT.
ROE - Unless you're hitting the ball so hard that it actually goes THROUGH someone's glove or other body part, it's an OUT.
FC - Surely no one considers this a hit, it's an OUT.

My goal is and always has been .700, sometimes I get there and sometimes I don't.

Wrong. ROE is the same as a hit and counted in slowpitch. One reason is that there is no official scorer to determine hit vs error. And two, the goal is to reach base without recording an out.

now at the conference level, they keep stats regarding home run frequency and OBP when HRs are gone. Some guys get bonuses based on hitting certain milestones in those stats.

VF500Racer

Addicted to Softballfans
Take your 500-1k and invest in some anger management.:D:rolleyes:

U need the money for misspoke therapy and balls transplant :D:D
Hey free money and U ain't man enough to take it.:p
Too bad, Mr. Wuss :D

Just love the way U bragged off and now
have to keep back-tracking and making excuses!
People offer you free tourny fees and free
money IF you that good and U ain't even
man enough to meet at the fields. What a wuss!

Last edited:

doG

dabz
Wrong. ROE is the same as a hit and counted in slowpitch. One reason is that there is no official scorer to determine hit vs error. And two, the goal is to reach base without recording an out.

now at the conference level, they keep stats regarding home run frequency and OBP when HRs are gone. Some guys get bonuses based on hitting certain milestones in those stats.

Reached on error is a hit?:confused: Wow, Thats a "reach" imo:D

thesteve

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree abd understand. I misspoke. When i said "why is this so hard for you guys?"

I meant

Why is this so hard for you guys to understand?

8 out of 10 is not that impressive (in short bursts, obv as im speaking)

Over a course of several months or years, i can see how batting .800 would be a task and pretty damn impressive.
I think the 8 for 10 thing was only obvious to you...
Not at all bro. Again, im not an amazing softballer. I just happened to hit 6/7 in my first two games and figured it was easy for all these guys. Ill most likely be <.800 by season end...:eek:
6 for 7 is a great start to the season. It's always nice to start hot. I don't know much about your league competition, but that's always something to think about. I'm not keeping stats this season, but last season I started out about 1.000 after two games. Through three games I was 12/13 (.923). At no time did I feel like coming on here and saying, "Hey this is easy, everyone's batting at least .900 right?"

Why? Because it's small sample size, and because I know the level of my competition is super low. Sure I finished the season with around 60ABs with a OBP around .812, but my league level might be the lowest of any regular contributing member of the board. Context is always key.

will_reed

has been/never was

LOL! If you hit a 27 hopper at the SS and he throws it into the dugout, that's a hit?

I guess you hit .800?

eHall

Base burglar
LOL! If you hit a 27 hopper at the SS and he throws it into the dugout, that's a hit?

I guess you hit .800?
As much as the pitcher throwing 3 balls that hit the plate is a hit.

I'm just stating the way its done in upper level slow pitch softball. You can do it however you would like in your Sunday rec league.

There are not many 27 hoppers in upper level ball btw.

doG

dabz

I'm just stating the way its done in upper level slow pitch softball. You can do it however you would like in your Sunday rec league.

Well, I respectfully call that for what it is. Ridiculous, but I dont play "upper level" so what do I know:rolleyes: For the record I disagree with a walk being counted as a hit too. On base percentage is what it is. On base percentage. Thats where those two things should be counted, and even then the ROE is debatable. If you make a routine out and someone blows the play you should not be rewarded for merely putting the 8 1/2 MPH fastball you were thrown in play.

will_reed

has been/never was

Since I don't hit .800, I am a Sunday rec leaguer. Maybe when I grow up I can play "upper level" ball like you.

Gabonayez

Coach
U need the money for misspoke therapy and balls transplant :D:D
Hey free money and U ain't man enough to take it.:p
Too bad, Mr. Wuss :D

Just love the way U bragged off and now
have to keep back-tracking and making excuses!
People offer you free tourny fees and free
money IF you that good and U ain't even
man enough to meet at the fields. What a wuss!

Damn bro. Just keep on keepin' on huh?

Ok. What if I told you that I lied about the whole thing and you are the best softball player to ever live, and someday I wish to be like you?

What if I told you I am a wuss and you are the most correct person on the face of the Earth?

You sir, are correct in everything you do and say.
You make no mistakes.
If you make an assumption, the universe will fight to make sure you are correct in your assumption.
God comes to you for correspondence.

Does this make you happy? You win. I suck. Im a wuss. I hope I can live through it.

eHall

Base burglar
Since I don't hit .800, I am a Sunday rec leaguer. Maybe when I grow up I can play "upper level" ball like you.

We all can dream. And when you get there you can count your walks and roe in your average like everyone else does.

I don't hit 800 either but I also don't keep stats in leagues.

will_reed

has been/never was
We all can dream. And when you get there you can count your walks and roe in your average like everyone else does.

I don't hit 800 either but I also don't keep stats in leagues.

I wish I had time to play more league, I think I've played in 6 league games this year.

And I'm sorry bro, but I just can't see counting reaching base on an error in on base percentage. If the "high level" guys do, that's fine with me. But this D player will keep counting them as outs.

But it does make me wonder how many hits I've given up in the last 12 years. LOL!