Famous pros that hit for average?

Spackler

...got that goin for me
All we see are pros with signature bats that crush, like the helmers of the world and we all know their names. Hitting deep rocks but high averages gets very high praise on here once you get past the first few pages of a thread LOL:rolleyes:. We all want to see pros hit 500 feet but do the high average guys get any love?? and who are they and what are their averages?

Worm

<font color="#FF3030">I'm CrEePy & I'm CrAwLy</fon
Brian Wegman..... bats lead off a lot.... hits the outfield gaps... has the power to go yard at will (like most majors), but normally settles for batting .800 plus and setting the table for the other big boys.

xethicx

Addicted to Softballfans
Two things...
1. theyre not famous
2. theyre not pros

Theyre very talented and highly ranked amateurs well known only inside the competitive softball world.

Worm

Tony Gwynn got lots of love and notoriety if we are talking baseball... especially for being on the San Diego Padres. Also, Wade Boggs did back in the day too. Ichiro also gets more love than he should...and he is just a base hitter.

Spackler

...got that goin for me
Brian Wegman..... bats lead off a lot.... hits the outfield gaps... has the power to go yard at will (like most majors), but normally settles for batting .800 plus and setting the table for the other big boys.

i did not know that... you see you learn something everyday

riotact

don't pitch, learn to hit
Tony Gwynn got lots of love and notoriety if we are talking baseball... especially for being on the San Diego Padres. Also, Wade Boggs did back in the day too. Ichiro also gets more love than he should...and he is just a base hitter.

10 seasons of 200+ hits, broke single season record in hits, and also I believe has the record for most infield hits in a career. He's an all star for a reason.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
Am I the only one that thinks batting less than .800 in slowpitch softball is horrible?

If you're playing anything higher than co-rec and hitting .800+ over several seasons, you're probably keeping your stats wrong.

bdub69

Is a bat P-I-M-P!

Dont get it twisted, Ichiro can mash, but that is not his job as a lead-off hitter. I've been following his career dating back to when he played here (Japan) for the Orix Blue Wave. Oh, and he also has a gold glove and a cannon!

Lastly, 200 hits for 10 straight season. He will be the first Japanese ball player elected to the HOF. ;)

Worm

10 seasons of 200+ hits, broke single season record in hits, and also I believe has the record for most infield hits in a career. He's an all star for a reason.

For average, but what about his career on base %....mediocre. Lead off is about getting on base and setting the table.... not just about getting hits. He is getting paid like a .300 hitter who hits 30+ hrs a year. Tell me you believe he is worth 18 million a year?!:eek: He is the 18th highest paid baseball player. He is overrated when you consider this.

riotact

For average, but what about his career on base %....mediocre. Lead off is about getting on base and setting the table.... not just about getting hits. He is getting paid like a .300 hitter who hits 30+ hrs a year. Tell me you believe he is worth 18 million a year?!:eek: He is the 18th highest paid baseball player. He is overrated when you consider this.

I disagree completely. He gets on base well, he isn't a double play possibility in most cases, and he doesn't strike out often, he puts the ball in play and is very clutch.

Yankees would have taken him in a heartbeat a few years ago, and Ichiro would be making more than he is now.

Its terrible to be 1st or 2nd in Hits and average every year, who would pay a leadoff hitter for that consistency. :rolleyes:

His obp is around .375 for his career. Only people who are higher, for the most part are big mashers who walk alot. Every MLB team would take someone at the top of their lineup getting on base a 38 times out of 100. Runs will score.

He is arguably one of the best hitters EVER.

Jhall24

Addicted to Softballfans
I know how to keep my stats... thanks. Its ****ing slow pitch softball... If youre striking out, you suck... I would guess most people on SBF lower their averages by swinging for the fences and popping up a lot.

Line drive base hits. Its not too hard.;):rolleyes:

This better be trolling material, because if not your possibly the dumbest person on this site. Check out conference stats and you will see maybe 3 people hitting 800 and it won't stay that way. 800 very very rarely happens if at all. Please dont think because you hit .800 in coed or e league that your an .800 hitter. As for the op. Every big name player you can name can hit the ball down. Just because they get 12 and 16 hrs a game doesn't mean they just blow it out everytime. They hit down better than anyone. No one gets to that level just because of hrs. People that can only hit hrs are terrible hitters that no one wants.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
This better be trolling material, because if not your possibly the dumbest person on this site. Check out conference stats and you will see maybe 3 people hitting 800 and it won't stay that way. 800 very very rarely happens if at all. Please dont think because you hit .800 in coed or e league that your an .800 hitter. As for the op. Every big name player you can name can hit the ball down. Just because they get 12 and 16 hrs a game doesn't mean they just blow it out everytime. They hit down better than anyone. No one gets to that level just because of hrs. People that can only hit hrs are terrible hitters that no one wants.

Might wanna mark this down as something you and I agree on.

I think the only time I hit .800+ for a season was in co-ed fall ball, where I made three outs in 12 games...but I wouldn't ever seriously talk about myself as an .800 hitter. Ever.

If I counted walks and fielders choices as hits, and actually counted 'sacrifice flies' then I could maybe find a way to make the stats show an .800 BA. Maybe.

riotact

Might wanna mark this down as something you and I agree on.

I think the only time I hit .800+ for a season was in co-ed fall ball, where I made three outs in 12 games...but I wouldn't ever seriously talk about myself as an .800 hitter. Ever.

If I counted walks and fielders choices as hits, and actually counted 'sacrifice flies' then I could maybe find a way to make the stats show an .800 BA. Maybe.

Fielders choice and sacrifices are OUTS. Reaching base without making an out for your team is g2g for average imho.

RT Addict

\m/NEED MORE COWBELL\m/

Troof ^^^^^

Kramit

Am I the only one that thinks batting less than .800 in slowpitch softball is horrible?

I strive for .700+. right now I am hitting .656 but I have been slumping the last few weeks. Its tuff when you go 4-6 and your average goes down. I don’t know what level you play at where .800+ is easy.

cmo27

Local Celebrity
I know how to keep my stats... thanks. Its ****ing slow pitch softball... If youre striking out, you suck... I would guess most people on SBF lower their averages by swinging for the fences and popping up a lot.

I intercepted a contract offer from Easton intended for you.. Sorry about that :rolleyes:

thepiombino

Addicted to Softballfans
If you're playing anything higher than co-rec and hitting .800+ over several seasons, you're probably keeping your stats wrong.

You mean anytime I don't strike out it doesn't automatically count as a hit regardless of the result?

Fielders choice and sacrifices are OUTS. Reaching base without making an out for your team is g2g for average imho.

FC is a no-brainer, but I disagree w/Sacs. It already counts against your OBP, no need for it to count against AVG as well...

IMO, if you go 3/4 w/a sac fly you hit .745 on the day with a .600 OBP

And by "IMO" I mean common knowledge...

blake.w

Addicted to Softballfans

Who do you play for on the conference?

Nietzsche

Drowned God

Hit for average, hit for power, run, throw, catch. That's 4 out of 5 tools. And he's done it for a decade.

First ballot HoF'er.

Nietzsche

Drowned God
Two things...
1. theyre not famous
2. theyre not pros

Theyre very talented and highly ranked amateurs well known only inside the competitive softball world.

Fun Fact: Competitive eaters are more famous and make more than pro slopitchers.

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
FC is a no-brainer, but I disagree w/Sacs. It already counts against your OBP, no need for it to count against AVG as well...

IMO, if you go 3/4 w/a sac fly you hit .745 on the day with a .600 OBP

And by "IMO" I mean common knowledge...

Ummm...3/4 is .750.

Batting average is a worthless stat is softball. It's all about OBP, and when people talk about their batting average, I assume they mean their OBP. I mean, how hard is it to loft a fly ball to the OF and bring a runner in from 3B. Most people could do it 19/20 times...the reason why they don't is because you're usually playing for more than the 1 run.

cntrain

So just for fun, I scrolled through the conference info on the utrip website and for the teams who posted stats I counted how many players had over an .800 average (>5AB) and found 21 players on 40 teams. Sounds like 0.800avg isn't quite so easy when you consider that is about 600 players total!