Fastpitch/3rd base

rain

Addicted to Softballfans
My daughter was at a showcase clinic and a coach asked her what size her glove was (Vinci 12.75 1961 custom kip leather). The coach then told her she may want to go to a smaller glove for a quicker transfer. Any thoughts on this? I told DD that her glove is closer to 12.5. The wife said get her one if she wants it (a rare statement). She will most likely be playing in college and is starting her junior year of HS.

RockyMTNHusker

Addicted to Softballfans
i dated a girl in college that was on the softball team as ss/3b and when playing 3rd she used a 12"- (11 1/2 for ss)

Last edited:

trip

stfu
1/4 inch isn't going to make a world of difference.

i used an 11" when i played infield in college and i use a 12 3/4 now with zero issues.

rain

Addicted to Softballfans
daughter

ask her daughter what she's comfortable with
My daughter likes the Vinci but she's the one that told me what the coach said and basically said she'd try anything to improve. I don't mind paying for the best if it makes a difference.

I would say your best bet is to pick up the smaller glove and have her put both gloves head to head in fielding drills to see which one works best for her.

marshall

Addicted to Softballfans
I noticed in this past year women's college world series a lot more smaller gloves than in the past. I felt there were quite a few IF using Wilson A2000 I-Web baseball gloves and playing TIP too.

rain

Addicted to Softballfans
Nokona X2 Elite Fastpitch Closed Web Glove Right Handed Throw 12.5" X2F-1250
I just fell in love with this one...I know it's 12.5 but it's a beauty.

Jen_16

Coach
In my four years of playing college I never had a teammate or played against a team whose INF used anything larger than a 12". It's all about preference, but that says something. If she's sure handed than she can handle it and will do well. If not then there's no harm in sticking to her current glove and seeing how things work out or testing the waters at other positions.

rain

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks Jen. I tried to find one of the A2ks you suggested quite awhile ago but I could only find it in a left hand throw. I did find one with an H-web for 189.00 that's a 12". Everyone talks about her good hands.

rain

Addicted to Softballfans
Best I can do. .. She just texted this.
IMG_0967.jpg
[/URL]

p17

SBFs 16th all time poster
Might be a good idea to get a vid so we can see her form. A shot from the OF would be a good view to see her balance and weight transfer

gofisch

First off, is she really having trouble with her transfer? Usually, its more about technique than the size of the glove. Unless, of course, she's using a 15" or something extreme. But the glove she is using is closer to 12.5" or less than 12.75". A video of her fielding, as suggested, would be much more helpful than the size of her hand.

rain

Addicted to Softballfans
hands

they look like big good strong hands, don't they?
She's really strong-works out a lot, but they look bigger in the photo than they are... complains the Vinci is loose.
No banana pics. .. Sorry.

rain

Addicted to Softballfans
First off, is she really having trouble with her transfer? Usually, its more about technique than the size of the glove. Unless, of course, she's using a 15" or something extreme. But the glove she is using is closer to 12.5" or less than 12.75". A video of her fielding, as suggested, would be much more helpful than the size of her hand.
Interesting that the glove was listed at 12.75 but I just saw 12.5 stamped on the inside.
I'd pm a vid from earlier this year but not post public. ..

Jen_16

Coach
Might be a good idea to get a vid so we can see her form. A shot from the OF would be a good view to see her balance and weight transfer

You always on the prowl for HS girls? Guy is asking for glove advice perv.

p17

SBFs 16th all time poster
well we all know where jen's mind is. ****ing christ. please get out of this thread, people are trying to help here

Jomatty

Starting Player
I think the only thing to do is get her a 12 inch and see how she likes it. The fact that the vast majority of high level girls use a 12 inch or smaller I think is fairly telling.

rain

Addicted to Softballfans
I think the only thing to do is get her a 12 inch and see how she likes it. The fact that the vast majority of high level girls use a 12 inch or smaller I think is fairly telling.

That's what I'll do. Thanks for the help. .

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
hey hey were trying to help rain out. I don't know what you're insinuating here skag

After the post about cucumbers and popsicles, etc. it'd be impossible NOT to be suspicious of ANY subsequent posts.

Jen_16

Coach
After the post about cucumbers and popsicles, etc. it'd be impossible NOT to be suspicious of ANY subsequent posts.

Thank you Rous. Gloves gloves gloves. That other crap can go elsewhere. We got you Dave, plenty of guys/ladies here that are glad to help out.