Other Fielder runner interference

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
This was gsl so i assume their rules for this are the same a utrip.

Runners on first and second, ball is hit to the ss, as he's bending down to make the play the runner from second runs into him. I believe he was I the baseline of that matters.

What's the call? I'd they are factors i need to consider please let me know and I'll try as remember them. I don't usually care about the rules, but my teammates we're Sure they were right, and i think their idea on the call was right, but as usual, i think their understanding of the rule is wrong.

Chris_R

I Thought I Reacted Well
This happened to me in an NSA E tourney many years ago. I was playing SS and a routine grounder was hit to me with runners on 1st & 2nd. I wasn't playing deep because the guy was a known weak hitter. I took 1 step forward and was just getting ready to bend down for the play when I got blind sided like a wide receiver in football by the guy running from 2nd. The runner was called out for interference and the ball was dead. I would assume that is the rule in every association because its just a standard rule of ball not specific to slowpitch softball.

lb16

the natural
This was gsl so i assume their rules for this are the same a utrip.

Runners on first and second, ball is hit to the ss, as he's bending down to make the play the runner from second runs into him. I believe he was I the baseline of that matters.

What's the call? I'd they are factors i need to consider please let me know and I'll try as remember them. I don't usually care about the rules, but my teammates we're Sure they were right, and i think their idea on the call was right, but as usual, i think their understanding of the rule is wrong.
Fielder has a right to field ball. As long as fielder is attempting to make a play on ball he can be in baseline runner has to avoid fielder in this situation. Base runner out for interference and ump could also call another runner out if there are less than 2 outs if in his judgement the defense could of turned a double play.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a feeling because after the other game i told the other ump maybe he should tell the other guy the rule before he asked if it was something it not and he laughed, so i took that to mean yeah he blew that one.

Wayne 33

Banned User
Fielder has a right to field ball. As long as fielder is attempting to make a play on ball he can be in baseline runner has to avoid fielder in this situation. Base runner out for interference and ump could also call another runner out if there are less than 2 outs if in his judgement the defense could of turned a double play.

If you say judgement that the defense could have turned a double play, you're assuming the defense would have gotten the outs at both 2B and 1B. This is an immediate dead ball and the norm here is R2 out for interference and R1 out also. B/R is given 1B unless the interference (play) occurred with less than 1 out.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

Love to see the rule citation for that one

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
If He's right that would've been sweet because it was coed with a guy on second, girl on first, and a super slow guy batting. We'd have gotten three outs!

I know you're saying He's wrong.

lb16

the natural
Here ya go straight from USSSA/GSL rule book.
EFFECT Sec. 4. G-H. In these situations, the ball remains live and in play and other base runners are in jeopardy. This does not apply to walks and home runs as the ball is dead in those situations. I. When he runs out of the 3 foot line and interferes with a fielder taking the throw or making a play at first base. J. When he interferes with a fielder attempting to field a batted ball or intentionally interferes with a thrown ball. If this interference in the judgment of the umpire is an obvious attempt to prevent a double play, the base runner closest to home plate shall also be called out. EFFECT Sec. 4. I-J Ball is dead. Sec. 5. BASE RUNNERS ARE OUT under the following circumstances: 42 A. When a base runner fails to keep contact with the base to which he is entitled, until a pitched ball touches the ground, has reached or passed home plate, or is batted. EFFECT Sec. 5. A. No pitch is declared, the ball is dead and the runner out. B. When the base runner interferes with a fielder attempting to field a batted ball or intentionally interferes with a fielder catching a ball or throwing a ball, or with a thrown ball. EFFECT Sec. 5. B. If the interference is not ruled intentional; the batter-runner is entitled to go to first base. If, in the opinion of the umpire, the interference is an obvious attempt to prevent a double play, the immediate succeeding runner shall also be called out. When a base runner interferes after he is out or after scoring, the most advanced runner shall be declared out.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Dead ball, runner who interfered is out, if I believe they would have gotten two than the runner from first is out also. Also, if I believe the runner from two did it maliciously, they're going to be out of the game. Fielder has an absolute right to field a batted ball.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Here ya go straight from USSSA/GSL rule book.
EFFECT Sec. 4. G-H. In these situations, the ball remains live and in play and other base runners are in jeopardy. This does not apply to walks and home runs as the ball is dead in those situations. I. When he runs out of the 3 foot line and interferes with a fielder taking the throw or making a play at first base. J. When he interferes with a fielder attempting to field a batted ball or intentionally interferes with a thrown ball. If this interference in the judgment of the umpire is an obvious attempt to prevent a double play, the base runner closest to home plate shall also be called out. EFFECT Sec. 4. I-J Ball is dead. Sec. 5. BASE RUNNERS ARE OUT under the following circumstances: 42 A. When a base runner fails to keep contact with the base to which he is entitled, until a pitched ball touches the ground, has reached or passed home plate, or is batted. EFFECT Sec. 5. A. No pitch is declared, the ball is dead and the runner out. B. When the base runner interferes with a fielder attempting to field a batted ball or intentionally interferes with a fielder catching a ball or throwing a ball, or with a thrown ball. EFFECT Sec. 5. B. If the interference is not ruled intentional; the batter-runner is entitled to go to first base. If, in the opinion of the umpire, the interference is an obvious attempt to prevent a double play, the immediate succeeding runner shall also be called out. When a base runner interferes after he is out or after scoring, the most advanced runner shall be declared out.

But that wasn't what you stated:

Maybe it is just the terminology. Simply believing another runner "could" have been out shouldn't be true. Maybe if they added the word "obvious". Hell, can you imagine the woulda/coulda claims and arguments? Just as well put targets on the runners :)

lb16

the natural
But that wasn't what you stated:

Maybe it is just the terminology. Simply believing another runner "could" have been out shouldn't be true. Maybe if they added the word "obvious". Hell, can you imagine the woulda/coulda claims and arguments? Just as well put targets on the runners :)

My post with "could" relates to umpires judgement of the situation. Not trying to confuse people with terminology just making a statement in my own words.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
My post with "could" relates to umpires judgement of the situation. Not trying to confuse people with terminology just making a statement in my own words.

Problem is I've seen a lot of people who believe players run faster than Superman flies :) And then you have the ones who add supposition as in,"but what if both fielders missed it and it hit one of the local raccoons instead of going out of play". As stupid as it sounds, I've seen players and umpires alike get that goofy to justify a ludicrous argument

Last edited:

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
The judgment the umpire has to make isn’t “did the defense have a possible double play”.

It’s “did the runner obviously attempt to prevent a double play”.

Those are two totally different things.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
The judgment the umpire has to make isn’t “did the defense have a possible double play”.

It’s “did the runner obviously attempt to prevent a double play”.

Those are two totally different things.
With regards to the interference out or any additional outs?

I totally believe the runner ran into our guy on purpose, but i think it's because he thought if it's In the baseline he has the right of way and he didn't want to be thrown out at third. He didn't flatten the ss or anything.