Other Fly ball

bbmiller75

Extra Hitter
So last night in league, batter hits a high fly to short, that the ss dropped. We had runners on 1st and 3rd with two outs. Ump calls batter out end of inning. Says ss dropped intentionally. No really aware of this rule, any have any insight?

Crabby Bob

Addicted to Softballfans
So last night in league, batter hits a high fly to short, that the ss dropped. We had runners on 1st and 3rd with two outs. Ump calls batter out end of inning. Says ss dropped intentionally. No really aware of this rule, any have any insight?

There is such a rule. It doesn't apply in your situation.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Speaking USSSA. The ball would have to be touched to be considered intentionally dropped, there must be a runner of first and there must be less than two outs.

TEX1959

Addicted to Softballfans

Can't figure why, in this situation, he would intentionally drop the ball.
It was the 3rd out, no reason to drop it intentionally, unless he was unaware of the number of outs, and thought he could turn a double play. OR
Unless it was a timed game and he was trying to work the clock.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Can't figure why, in this situation, he would intentionally drop the ball.
It was the 3rd out, no reason to drop it intentionally, unless he was unaware of the number of outs, and thought he could turn a double play. OR
Unless it was a timed game and he was trying to work the clock.

Ahh... I missed the part about there being two outs.

Under no ruleset that I'm aware of would this have been the right call. It is only to be called when there are less than two outs.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
Under no ruleset that I'm aware of would this have been the right call.

How about this one.

The batting team was about to lose by run rule, the fielding team wanted to get some more at bats and the ump wanted to go home? :)

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
How about this one.

The batting team was about to lose by run rule, the fielding team wanted to get some more at bats and the ump wanted to go home? :)

Not saying it doesn't happen (and I'm not saying that you really think that's what happened), but that's about the dumbest crybaby argument heard out on the field. "Oh, he just wants to go home early!"

No, dumbass, I'm here for as long as you guys need me to be, and my wonderful wife will reheat my dinner when I get home, whenever that might be. But that's what I saw, so that's what I called. Get over it! :p :D

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
Not saying it doesn't happen (and I'm not saying that you really think that's what happened), but that's about the dumbest crybaby argument heard out on the field. "Oh, he just wants to go home early!"

I just added the ump part to get you riled up :D

I've seen league games intentionally extended in order to get more at bats.

About the second inning against a bad/new team and the score is 10+ to 0, everyone starts taking one base, stops throwing DP's and jogs toward fly balls.

You let them score a few so they don't get discouraged/run ruled after 3 innings and you are able to get a few more swings in.

It's a win/win..... except for the ump that wants to go home early.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
About the second inning against a bad/new team and the score is 10+ to 0, everyone starts taking one base, stops throwing DP's and jogs toward fly balls.

You let them score a few so they don't get discouraged/run ruled after 3 innings and you are able to get a few more swings in.

It's a win/win..... except for the ump that wants to go home early.

This doesn't bother me one bit as long as you're not doing it to be an ass and there is time left on the clock. The one that gets me is the guys that either won't score the run rule run when they can walk home, or they intentionally let the other team score multiple runs as the clock is winding down to try and get another inning started. Then put up another 10 runs.