FNG

Logan44551

Just stumbled across the board. Last season was my first year playing softball, really enjoyed and jumped in balls deep. Been playing sober league ASA coed, as well as some city league ASA, and a couple USSA tournaments when I can find a team that needs a guy. Just wanted to introduce myself.

I e been trying to get my swing dialed in. It's gotten much better, I was all hands at first. I've definitely gotten better at not reaching out, and getting my lower half involved. I'm still struggling to hit 300+ seems like 280-290 is about my limit. I'm a pretty big guy, and feel like I should be able to clear 300. Any tips to get some more distance out of my swing? I just started doing some tee work, and am hoping that'll help get my swing dialed in a bit more. Thanks fellas. Not sure if it matters but I'm 6' and about 220#. ASA I'm swinging a 27 oz monsta fallout. USSA I'm swinging a LS ds2 26oz.

ShortYellowBus

Well, it’s 100% on you. There’s no tricks to hit better.

Record yourself swinging. Then go watch the swing videos from @Ken07. He goes by Ken Van Bogaert on YouTube. Compare yourself to the swing he’s been teaching; there’s 70 year old dudes hitting 300ft plus on his channel. Start there.

Get some batting practice in.

Perhaps include some lifting and some other strengthening exercises.

Just don’t forget, it’s slow pitch.

It’s supposed to be fun.

Committed

Welcome!

I’m fairly new to the sport so I’ll leave the advice to the experts. One thing I will say is that anyone can hit the long ball. Learn how to hit gaps and keep the ball trajectory level. Master that, and you will be having invites to play for the foreseeable future.

Good luck & have fun!

Logan44551

Welcome!

I’m fairly new to the sport so I’ll leave the advice to the experts. One thing I will say is that anyone can hit the long ball. Learn how to hit gaps and keep the ball trajectory level. Master that, and you will be having invites to play for the foreseeable future.

Good luck & have fun!
Solid advice, thanks. I've been working on that with the tee. Haven't had any live pitching to see if it's helped yet. I really struggled hitting opposite when I first started. Setting up the tee deep and a bit outside has helped me understand pitch selection better.

D-ROCK13

Biggest thing that helped me was learning to relax my stance and hands before the swing. hold the bat loosely in the hands. drop pinky or overlap grip may help a little too, make sure weight starts on back foot and work on timing the lower half with the upper half properly and then explode into the ball hands first. SYB is 💯 correct about Ken's videos, great place to learn a better technique. lots and lots of tee and live BP work, if you can't get a friend to pitch look at a pop toss set up. good luck and welcome

Logan44551

Biggest thing that helped me was learning to relax my stance and hands before the swing. hold the bat loosely in the hands. drop pinky or overlap grip may help a little too, make sure weight starts on back foot and work on timing the lower half with the upper half properly and then explode into the ball hands first. SYB is 💯 correct about Ken's videos, great place to learn a better technique. lots and lots of tee and live BP work, if you can't get a friend to pitch look at a pop toss set up. good luck and welcome
Thanks for responding, I got a pop toss and a tee. I have a hard time finding people that want to practice as much as I do. I uploaded a video in the training section if you want to take a look. I already got.some solid pointers from @ShortYellowBus

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
Welcome!

Good luck & have fun!

Solid advice, thanks. I've been working on that with the tee. Haven't had any live pitching to see if it's helped yet. I really struggled hitting opposite when I first started. Setting up the tee deep and a bit outside has helped me understand pitch selection better.
Well, that's straight bull****!!!! Not "anyone" can hit the longball. Not with any consistency. It is a learned art and while some have natural athletic advantages in it, not "anyone" can do it. If just "anyone" could, then we wouldn't have the OP asking how to do it...................... Right?

Driving the ball with backspin, is probably the best way to get distance. Lifting it is not the answer. People will tell you to "swing level", or "swing down on the ball"............Both wrong! I would say the best advice that I have for being able to get balls out of the park is to not think about those things. You overall best approach would be walking out to the plate thinking about hitting a hard liner with backspin. Look at a spot 1/4" below the middle of the ball, and it it with the intent of giving backspin to the ball. Now, there is something to be said for hitting gaps, and lines and double and triples..........This will also help with those things, but will also help you get the ball out of the park.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
Anyone who is athletic can hit bombs, yes. You must be really good…
Wrong..............Again. Not anyone who is athletic can hit bombs. But, yes..........I'm good..............Really ****ing good and have been for a long time. This is why I know you're wrong and too dumb and stubborn to know it.