following thru...letting go

22justin82

Addicted to Softballfans
Any good ways to practice letting go and following thru at the end of your swing. I have a hard time doing it and it stops my swing at my front shoulder.

doG

dabz
There are a few videos in the media section posted by Ken07 that might help if you do a little searching. It would be really hard for anyone here to tell you what may help without seeing your swing.

Pete D

Addicted to Softballfans
It's easier with the overlap grip.....I probably do it 90%+ of the time - easier when pulling the ball but can be built into all swings except oppo down the line.....

015reddog

Certified Slacker
When you are sitting around at home, go outside and take your bat with you. Go through your swing from start to finish slowly and repeatedly, letting go of the bat with the top hand and following through with the bottom hand. Keep doing this in your spare time to create muscle memory. You will start doing it in bp eventually. This is what I was told to do. It is starting to work.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
Loose grip with the top hand.............And use your top hand to push on your bottom hand...The hand will fall off all on it's own.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
The straighter your bat path is to the ball............The more likely your top hand will fall off naturally......The more rotational and circular....The less likely it's bound to happen.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
If you love it let it go... If it comes back then it's true...if not it was never yours.

What I know about letting go

22justin82

Addicted to Softballfans
I guess when I try it I feel like I'm going to launch the bat causing me to dribble the ball down 1st base line for some reason. Even when I do it in bp I tighten up right before contact

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
There are a few videos in the media section posted by Ken07 that might help if you do a little searching. It would be really hard for anyone here to tell you what may help without seeing your swing.

^These will provide a lot of info for fully breaking down and rebuilding your swing.

Loose grip with the top hand.............And use your top hand to push on your bottom hand...The hand will fall off all on it's own.

The straighter your bat path is to the ball............The more likely your top hand will fall off naturally......The more rotational and circular....The less likely it's bound to happen.

^These 2 pack the most helpful info in tue least amount of words you'll get. Do it right and you'll see immediate difference.

Loose grip top hand - top hand pushes bottom hand - straight path to ball

Man of Steele

Addicted to Softballfans
which one do you get more distance with ? I was always told both hands through the zone. Hit bat if possible on your back ?

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
which one do you get more distance with ? I was always told both hands through the zone. Hit bat if possible on your back ?

Of course you should have both hands on the bat or still have your top hand on the bottom hand using the overlap at contact..............But, once your upper body starts to decelerate, you'll then get fully extended with the arms (The arms should be front arm fairly straight and back arm in "Power L" at contact, so you can push with top hand), the top hand should fall off normally. If you take a straight path to the ball, it should actually be extremely hard to keep your top hand on the bat at this point........What you describe takes place in a very rotational swing Affective for baseball and not so affective for softball, because the ball brings you no power. To see examples of this look at swings of Adrien Gonzalez and Adrien Beltre.......You'll see that Gonzalez is linear and Beltre is rotational. Gonzalez straight path to the ball and Beltre a circular path to the ball.......Their follow through is a direct result of this.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
How is looking at a swing, going to tell you the intricate mechanics of a swing? Or, what the intent is in that swing?

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
You forget not everyone see's that. You're talking to 1% of the people.

Good point......He's asking for advice on it and he's told to look at Ken Griffey Jr.s swing.......But, not telling him why it's happening for Griffey, or how to mechanically change to have it happen for him. Just makes no sense.

FA13

Addicted to Softballfans
Of course you should have both hands on the bat or still have your top hand on the bottom hand using the overlap at contact..............But, once your upper body starts to decelerate, you'll then get fully extended with the arms (The arms should be front arm fairly straight and back arm in "Power L" at contact, so you can push with top hand), the top hand should fall off normally. If you take a straight path to the ball, it should actually be extremely hard to keep your top hand on the bat at this point........What you describe takes place in a very rotational swing Affective for baseball and not so affective for softball, because the ball brings you no power. To see examples of this look at swings of Adrien Gonzalez and Adrien Beltre.......You'll see that Gonzalez is linear and Beltre is rotational. Gonzalez straight path to the ball and Beltre a circular path to the ball.......Their follow through is a direct result of this.

How do I make sure that my swing is taking a straight path? what can I do to work on this? How can I tell now if my swing is too rotational and how can I change this? What are the signs that I'm doing this correct or not?
Any videos?