Foul or fair?

dunkky

And the point is?? you are the one who brought up a question that's irreverent to this discussion pretty much sums up your logical thinking. We are talking about infield rules. Good thing we have that HR Pole out there, isn't it? Rather than relying on that imaginary line in the air.

dunkky

no rules are perfect. And there's no such thing as perfection that will cover everything. I never suggested perfect rules.

having said that, In this case, you gonna have to go by the HR foul pole. that's what that is for. When it's out of ball park, don't matter where it lands as long as the ball passes inside the foul poles.

Pheonix51

Addicted to Softballfans
having said that, In this case, you gonna have to go by the HR foul pole. that's what that is for. When it's out of ball park, don't matter where it lands as long as the ball passes inside the foul poles.

Holy balls. Were you not the one who earlier said if it hits the umpire or catchers it’s fair? Aren’t they past the lines directly drawn from the foul poles?! Make your mind up!

What about a ball that hits something in a dugout on an overthrow and comes back into the field? No dead ball?

Or one that hits the top of the fence and falls over it? No HR? (managed that last tournament...landed it directly on the top of the fence. Was quite impressed with myself there...)

Just play the damn rules as they are. It’s worked plenty long enough without being made “better” in your opinion.

dunkky

what about hitting fan's glove and came back to fair? is that fair?
what about bat girl touches it and came back to fair? is that fair?
what about a manager in the bench reflects a ball and came back to fair? is that fair?

should i stop or continue? don't mean to be a troll but damn man, i feel sorry for you guys. it's very tempting to use the word, but I will not.
stick with objects or human that's part of play.

I would be embarrassed if i ask those type of questions something i normally expect from kids.

Tell you what, i'll stop here. there's absolutely no point. it's just too boring at this point. But if you guys wanna continue asking those silly questions, knock yourself out.

MaverickAH

I have played in a lot of ball parks in my life, but I have never played in a park that had lights IN FAIR territory. lmfao, you Muppet
I've played/umped on fields with the following in fair territory:
  • light poles
  • poles with additional netting
  • trees
  • handball courts
  • goal posts
  • soccer goals
  • players from other ongoing games
  • probably some other stuff that escapes memory......
Sometimes they're far enough away to not affect play. Sometimes they're not. When they are in close enough proximity to potentially affect play, there are usually ground rules to cover it.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
The intramural fields at Shippensburg University have light poles right in the middle of the outfields. When we play there, hitting them in the air is a double (because it may deflect goofy). Rolling to them is all you can get, play it like a wall. If you run into them, it's your own dumb fault. There are power lines that stretch across the infield as well. I think the ground rule we played on that was if you hit them, dead ball, single. Advance if forced.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
In this case, you gonna have to go by the HR foul pole. that's what that is for. When it's out of ball park, don't matter where it lands as long as the ball passes inside the foul poles.

Oh, so the umpire has to use his judgement to make a call? Novel idea.

JP21

I've played/umped on fields with the following in fair territory:
  • light poles
  • poles with additional netting
  • trees
  • handball courts
  • goal posts
  • soccer goals
  • players from other ongoing games
  • probably some other stuff that escapes memory......
Sometimes they're far enough away to not affect play. Sometimes they're not. When they are in close enough proximity to potentially affect play, there are usually ground rules to cover it.

lol, I meant traditional parks with fences and light posts on the other side of the fence, not cow pastures or Bronx slum parks. Handball courts, I actually lol at that.

RNRPLZ

A fly ball in this situation is judged by the plate umpire. The 3rd and 1st base bags are a good line up point, if there happens to be a fair pole on the outfield fences this really aids in lining up. Now when the ball is caught and it appears really close, its my judgement to call it fair or foul. With trickle grounders that pitchers, catchers or basemen are trying to hustle because they are trying to get the out thinking it will stay fair is doing such at their own risk. Lots of times the ones that obviously can’t be retrieved fast enough players let it roll until it comes to a complete stop. Some players will stop and retrieve a zig zag ball while in foul territory just to kill the play, same as the ones who grab it while in fair play but the batter runner was to fast. If they choose to grab it in fair territory, fair ball, if they grab it in foul territory foul ball.
I actually prefer to call it the fair line not foul line. If ball comes to complete stop on the line....fair ball run all you want.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
A fly ball in this situation is judged by the plate umpire. The 3rd and 1st base bags are a good line up point, if there happens to be a fair pole on the outfield fences this really aids in lining up. Now when the ball is caught and it appears really close, its my judgement to call it fair or foul. With trickle grounders that pitchers, catchers or basemen are trying to hustle because they are trying to get the out thinking it will stay fair is doing such at their own risk. Lots of times the ones that obviously can’t be retrieved fast enough players let it roll until it comes to a complete stop. Some players will stop and retrieve a zig zag ball while in foul territory just to kill the play, same as the ones who grab it while in fair play but the batter runner was to fast. If they choose to grab it in fair territory, fair ball, if they grab it in foul territory foul ball.
I actually prefer to call it the fair line not foul line. If ball comes to complete stop on the line....fair ball run all you want.

QyVnX26.jpg