NSA fpsr

koz

Addicted to Softballfans
nsa, what is the fpsr in men's slowpitch?
Can't seem to find it in the rule book.

koz

Addicted to Softballfans
force play slide rule.
Must the runner slide directly into the base, or can he slide an arm's length away from the base or can he just slide anywhere in an attempt to break up a double play?

koz

Addicted to Softballfans
I have the rule book, but I can't find the rule on it. Can you site the rule or page it's on?
Thanks

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I have the rule book, but I can't find the rule on it. Can you site the rule or page it's on?
Thanks

Nope, because unless NSA does something drastically different, it's just not there. :)

But at least I got you to look first. ;)

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
The Force Play Slide Rule is in the high school baseball rule books and the NCAA baseball rule books. Even those two baseball rule sets interpret it differently, so they aren't identical and are enforced differently out on the field.

I'm not aware of any softball rule set that includes the FPSR, and it certainly isn't in the NSA rule book. This is either a special rule your league has come up with (in which case, I couldn't even begin to guess how it's written or how they interpret it) or however told you this is a rule is full of it.

koz

Addicted to Softballfans
So.......as far as NSA is concerned, there's nothing in the rules to protect the fielder from a runner 'taking out the 2nd baseman' or throwing a 'roll block' during a force play into him?
Thanks

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
So.......as far as NSA is concerned, there's nothing in the rules to protect the fielder from a runner 'taking out the 2nd baseman' or throwing a 'roll block' during a force play into him?
Thanks

We didn't say that exactly.

If it's dead obvious that a player is going out of their way to engage in a dangerous behavior, then yeah, we can call that.

We may give the runners a bit of latitude in how they may slide, but only so far.

C'mon, man. This is amateur softball. We all have to go to work the next day. Take your out like a man.

Country35

Banned User
We didn't say that exactly.

If it's dead obvious that a player is going out of their way to engage in a dangerous behavior, then yeah, we can call that.

We may give the runners a bit of latitude in how they may slide, but only so far.

C'mon, man. This is amateur softball. We all have to go to work the next day. Take your out like a man.

yeah.....you never see this called unless its so obvious everyone in the park knew it should be called anyway

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
yeah.....you never see this called unless its so obvious everyone in the park knew it should be called anyway

I think I've only called it maybe once or twice. The guy came into 2B with his foot above the shortstop's knee. I called him out and tossed him. He just shrugged his shoulders, nodded, and walked away.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks

Whoa. You're making quite a leap there. We said that NSA doesn't have a FPSR. They still have rules about crashing into fielders, retired runners committing interference and players being ejected for flagrant acts.