Full Overlap Grip

BOLTMAN21

Manager
^^^ Thanks. I hold it just like Rusty does now. I'll try dry swinging the other way in a few. Nice to see it....lol

The first time I tried the overlap grip the bat flew out of my hands. It takes some time to get use to, but once you get it down, you won't be disappointed.

Takes a few buckets to get used to it. I tried swinging conventional grip a few times and it feels just as weird as the full overlap when I first started.

jhitman

Have there ever been any MLB players that use the overlap grip? Just wondering because I agree, it's a better way to grip the bat.

I've never seen a MLB player use it. Some do drop their pinky off the bat or overlap one finger i.e. right handed batter overlapping their right hand pinky over their left index finger.

jhitman

Takes a few buckets to get used to it. I tried swinging conventional grip a few times and it feels just as weird as the full overlap when I first started.

Funny thing for me as I've used it for about 8 years or so, I can't swing with a conventional grip now. I have a hard time even doing infield practice with a regular standard grip. The little bit of bat control you lose by using the overlap grip is well worth the bat whip and leverage you get by using it. IMO

Hambo

Starting Player
The first time I tried the overlap grip the bat flew out of my hands. It takes some time to get use to, but once you get it down, you won't be disappointed.

Yup.... it was on my 2nd or 3rd full swing using the overlap grip that the bat flew right out of my hands. If it had been a game I would have decapitated a SS.

jhitman

Yup.... it was on my 2nd or 3rd full swing using the overlap grip that the bat flew right out of my hands. If it had been a game I would have decapitated a SS.

I almost gave up on it because I thought I was going to hurt someone. It took some time to get use to it, but the whip, leverage I get now has added a lot of distance to my long balls as well as better exit speed on the line drives and ground balls.

Pheonix51

Addicted to Softballfans
I've never seen a MLB player use it. Some do drop their pinky off the bat or overlap one finger i.e. right handed batter overlapping their right hand pinky over their left index finger.

Michael Morse is the closest I've seen...

Hamrhed

Rock and Fire
Funny thing for me as I've used it for about 8 years or so, I can't swing with a conventional grip now. I have a hard time even doing infield practice with a regular standard grip. The little bit of bat control you lose by using the overlap grip is well worth the bat whip and leverage you get by using it. IMO

Same here... Learned it in '96 watching Demarini video- and every time I try a different grip now, I quickly revert back lol. My grip has the top hand index finger gripping the bat alone: I also- instead of adding fingers for control or oppo- simply slide the index finger up the handle by a finger space or two... just evolved that way :shrug:

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
Try it like Helmer does here bro. (Assuming your righty switch to appropriate hands) I used to do a semi overlap like Rusty but find Helmer's grip worked better for me with some bp. Form a ring with index and thumb on top hand. Has helped me hit harder.

http://youtu.be/eE7UgzrE-a0

So it feels much better when making a ring with my thumb and index, and resting them on my top hand. which puts the skin between my R thumb and index the only part of my skin touching the handle.

Took a few dry swings, and dang my L palm is sore....I feel like I'm swinging harder, but it's fromt he way the knob now rotates in my L hand. Live BP is gonna help me perfect this grip

jhitman

Same here... Learned it in '96 watching Demarini video- and every time I try a different grip now, I quickly revert back lol. My grip has the top hand index finger gripping the bat alone: I also- instead of adding fingers for control or oppo- simply slide the index finger up the handle by a finger space or two... just evolved that way :shrug:

I actually have an interlocking grip like Todd Graham on the swingmechanics.com web-site. I'm right handed so I have my left index finger interlocking in between my right index and middle finger. Also, I drop the pinky of my left hand off the bat and the finger next to it rests on the knob. So it's like dropping 1 1/2 off of the bat. There are a lot of variations so it's a comfort thing.

scottdburnett

Addicted to Softballfans
Allen Craig...

14626404769_ce15fee398_z.jpg

Shoecrew

Extra Hitter
I dont overlap at all...Ive always wanted to, but how the hell do you not fling the bat at the pitcher?!

Its something im willing to work on because Id love to be able to hit more than 3 homers a year....I stand with back foot at the top of the plate about a foot away from the plate and always hit it over pitchers head nice and hard, if they play a 5 man a swing a little later and send over seconds head.

I need more power though, and I think this grip can def help, (along with working out more) but I just cant understand how to do it lol

redneck1991

Addicted to Softballfans
I slowly swing overlap in the living room and follow the whole motion of my swing legs and all just in slow motion and then you can get out the tee in the back yard with a tarp hung on a clothes line and the bottom left loose to absorb the ball and then after doing all that go out and live bp with the overlap and you should be fine. I took a along time to get the guts to try it in a game though. Just didnt want to swing out of my shoes with that huge wind up but when I did I went from pop ups to hard shots, still havent cleared the wall but I have hit the wall now and I am not as intimidated at it being 300 ft as I was. Just got to let it fly and try it.

shopofpop

SBF member since 2004
I dont overlap at all...Ive always wanted to, but how the hell do you not fling the bat at the pitcher?!

Its something im willing to work on because Id love to be able to hit more than 3 homers a year....I stand with back foot at the top of the plate about a foot away from the plate and always hit it over pitchers head nice and hard, if they play a 5 man a swing a little later and send over seconds head.

I need more power though, and I think this grip can def help, (along with working out more) but I just cant understand how to do it lol

Try using a Whip Strip for converting to an Over Lap Grip...

The SBF's store sells them...

TrainWreck209

Hardcore since '84
Op, would you recommend full overcack grip if I were hitting a poll to break my bat before the warranty expires? Or did you just use traditional grip?
delete this one too crybaby

oilslick58

Addicted to Softballfans
Op, would you recommend full overcack grip if I were hitting a poll to break my bat before the warranty expires? Or did you just use traditional grip?

gotta hold it by the barrel for that...Comeon Train, you know that.:cool:

Hambo

Starting Player
Despite the OP being a crybaby, I like this thread... please don't delete it.

I want to learn more about these Whip Strips... anyone use them?

NoNameJames

Star Player
Just another post from a computer tough guy. Thanks for your valuable input. Others here are actually on here to discuss softball.

TrainWreck209

Hardcore since '84
Just another post from a computer tough guy. Thanks for your valuable input. Others here are actually on here to discuss softball.

Translated - "I have no defense for being a douchebag".

You should post more of these riveting softball topics. I enjoy them

NoNameJames

Star Player
Forum Rules:

Trolling

The act of "trolling" will not be tolerated. If you blatantly attempt to derail the topic of a thread or harass a member, you will be subject to a temporary 1 day ban, increasing to a 7 day ban for the second offense, then to a 30 day ban for the third offence and finally a permanent IP ban for a final offense. This will be enforced in all sections EXCEPT the Lounge forum, however we will enforce harassment in the lounge when needed.

You have been reported.

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
So I tried it yesterday in BP, the full overlap and couldn't get used to it. Had a scrimmage later and went with my preference, 2 finger overlap.....worked like a champ for me

Joker

Forum Rules:

Trolling

The act of "trolling" will not be tolerated. If you blatantly attempt to derail the topic of a thread or harass a member, you will be subject to a temporary 1 day ban, increasing to a 7 day ban for the second offense, then to a 30 day ban for the third offence and finally a permanent IP ban for a final offense. This will be enforced in all sections EXCEPT the Lounge forum, however we will enforce harassment in the lounge when needed.

You have been reported.

please stay on topic, this has nothing to do with an overlap grip

NoNameJames

Star Player
So I tried it yesterday in BP, the full overlap and couldn't get used to it. Had a scrimmage later and went with my preference, 2 finger overlap.....worked like a champ for me

Yea I go back and forth from full to two fingers. Depends on the game/scenario.

Joker

Who's dupe are you?

You best bet is to rub your nipples as you approach the plate and then never break eye contact with the picther

I'm sorry, what?

Y'all every play against that team from the Bay, Olympic Club?

The OP is either:

(A) Extremely insecure

(B) Bored as hell

My $$$$ is on (A)

Try it bro... Just keep your hands loose and make sure you let go of the bat... If you don't it won't tickle lol!

I have no idea, I don't run the team and try to stay far away as possible from anything related lol.

I think the only team name I heard we were up against was VHO(what it sounded like). All 3 teams we played were solid though, couple teams there were put together thinking it was unlimited HR's and were upset when it was changed to 1 an inning.

What I thought was the weakest of the 3 we played was that VHO(?) team and they ended up winning the whole thing. They had 14 guys that were all light and fast, imagine their legs held up better than the guys that were a little more bulked up.

I'm digging the avatar. A little throw back to 90's hot. Remember Jennifer Love Huget*ts? Oh yea....

JLH was one of my fave's too.

She is coming back to TV this fall on a show called criminal minds. good show - I am now setting it up to DVR...

I've seen the show Criminal Minds and I like the show. She is only going to make the show more enjoyable to watch.

gotta hold it by the barrel for that...Comeon Train, you know that.:cool:

Despite the OP being a crybaby, I like this thread... please don't delete it.

I want to learn more about these Whip Strips... anyone use them?

Translated - "I have no defense for being a douchebag".

You should post more of these riveting softball topics. I enjoy them

Over 100 posts on this thread. Obviously a few people like this topic. You should just go away.

Forum Rules:

Trolling

You have been reported.

you have all been reported too