Gel shots in the Knees

blakcherry329

So I just went back on Tuesday, Dr rescheduled my 12/29 appt, $1350 for Euflexxa. Going to start on 1/20. 3 shots per knee plus toradol. Fingers crossed.
BTW, none of that topical nonsense worked for me. Voltaren was just a waste of money. Only thing that gave me a little relieve was a handful of Tylenon/Ibruprofen combo or the Cortisone shots. Can't wait to get started.

blakcherry329

So finally got my first round of Euflexxa shots. Have 2 more rounds to go.

Don't really feel any different, so far, it's only been 2 days. lol
My quads are sore for some reason. I haven't done anything but commute to NYC.
Is that normal?

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
So finally got my first round of Euflexxa shots. Have 2 more rounds to go.

Don't really feel any different, so far, it's only been 2 days. lol
My quads are sore for some reason. I haven't done anything but commute to NYC.
Is that normal?

I'd say anything you deem abnormal should be reported to your doctor at your next visit. The only thing I've ever noticed is some weirdness (not pain) for the first hour or so after getting the injection.....with the new fluid in there. They say it takes 2-4 weeks after your final injection to reach peak benefit, so normal to not feel much difference just a few days after 1.

UncleMosk

Mine took about 6 weeks before the knee felt like it used to. Still think that 2nd Booster did this to me. But so far so good. Now to get something similar for my rotator.

96packers

OG Titletown
Mine took about 6 weeks before the knee felt like it used to. Still think that 2nd Booster did this to me. But so far so good. Now to get something similar for my rotator.
not that I want knee issues but hope I'm done with rotator issues. Just cuz I had 3 surgeries doesn't mean I like em

ShortYellowBus

My knees hurt. And I run up to 10-14 miles a day on the weekends. I decided three Aleve and a knee brace was not enough anymore.

Rather. My right knee decided that for me. I had my first cortisone injection today.

It’s been a lot better, but the side effects are increased blood sugar (I’ve been hungry and craving candy all day today) and insomnia.

The knee feels better. A lot better.

blakcherry329

The problem with Cortisone is the results don't last. My knees felt awesome when I got the shots, but that lasted about a week. smh

Update on my Gel shots....

2 weeks after my last set of shots and I'm not feeling as well as I would like. My left knee, my plant leg for pitching and bowling, is worse than my right. More Quad soreness than actual joint pain. Hoping this gets better in the coming weeks.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
The problem with Cortisone is the results don't last. My knees felt awesome when I got the shots, but that lasted about a week. smh

Update on my Gel shots....

2 weeks after my last set of shots and I'm not feeling as well as I would like. My left knee, my plant leg for pitching and bowling, is worse than my right. More Quad soreness than actual joint pain. Hoping this gets better in the coming weeks.

Sorry to hear Ray. Knees only get worse, not better. Work those quads out the best you can and stretch.

blakcherry329

Sorry to hear Ray. Knees only get worse, not better. Work those quads out the best you can and stretch.
I hear ya, but I was expecting a little more relief than what I'm experiencing so far. I'm going to give it another 2-3 weeks before I go back for cortisone or something.

mnball

Addicted to Softballfans
Anyone know about anything to do with shoulder pain ? I’ve hurt both shoulders but I’m done with surgeries etc at 58 I’ve had almost everything replaced already - I did get cortisone injections into both shoulders last summer and of course it did absolutely nothing. I do some light physical therapy. I can swing hard but absolutely can’t throw over 25% at all - any suggestions....?

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
My biggest shoulder problem is sleeping on them weird. I did find a YouTube video from those pt guys about how to sleep on your side with shoulder pain. It's helped some, till I get deep to sleep and start thrashing around like I do.

defos

Hope your surgery goes well!

After the surgery, don't allow the rehab nurse use you to demonstrate the proper way to get out of bed. My sister-in-law's brother had KR surgery a few years ago. The next day, they brought all the KR patients together. He was the most recent. The nurse said something like, "When you want to get out of bed, don't go slow, don't think about it, just do it like this." She grabbed his legs and flung them over the side of the bed. He said they almost had to peel him off the ceiling!

slowstepper

So from the perspective of a guy who has some experience here. I have had 11 knee surgeries, gulping NSAI, chicken shots, cortizone shots, gel shots, braces, creams , voodooo - you name it. by the time I was 60, I was almost immobile in the field - bone on bone - every step hurt. I quit playing pickleball because I couldnt stand it. reduced to place hitting looping singles and getting a pitch runner.

went in for total rerplacement. Got the stryker Triathlon knee - and it was done with the robotic assist. I had both done - a year apart. It was done as an outpatient, I went in at 6 am - and walked into my house that afternoon at 2 pm. (with a walker for 2 days - then a cane for another 3 days - to no assist walking in a week)

I now play pickleball 4-5 times a week, do alot of hike in trail to small stream fishing, and am back to good mobility on the diamond - playing outfieldc and 1st base, and my power is back. . still have some pain sometimes - but a huge improvement. In fact I was called on to be our pinch runner in the game last week.

My advise - get the replacement - the sooner the better. whatever you have - it will get worse and worse - no matter what you try, unless you get replacements - and all of a sudden - it gets alot better!

blakcherry329

So from the perspective of a guy who has some experience here. I have had 11 knee surgeries, gulping NSAI, chicken shots, cortizone shots, gel shots, braces, creams , voodooo - you name it. by the time I was 60, I was almost immobile in the field - bone on bone - every step hurt. I quit playing pickleball because I couldnt stand it. reduced to place hitting looping singles and getting a pitch runner.

went in for total rerplacement. Got the stryker Triathlon knee - and it was done with the robotic assist. I had both done - a year apart. It was done as an outpatient, I went in at 6 am - and walked into my house that afternoon at 2 pm. (with a walker for 2 days - then a cane for another 3 days - to no assist walking in a week)

I now play pickleball 4-5 times a week, do alot of hike in trail to small stream fishing, and am back to good mobility on the diamond - playing outfieldc and 1st base, and my power is back. . still have some pain sometimes - but a huge improvement. In fact I was called on to be our pinch runner in the game last week.

My advise - get the replacement - the sooner the better. whatever you have - it will get worse and worse - no matter what you try, unless you get replacements - and all of a sudden - it gets alot better!
That's awesome. A guy on my Sunday pickup games had TKR and was back running pain free.
I was surprised that my doctor didn't suggest at least a partial replacement. So far a month after my last gel shot, the results are disappointing to say the least. I'm going to give it another week or so, then give my doctor a call. (I know I said that before. I called the Doc last week and they said wait the 6 weeks and then they'll take a look. smh)

ShortYellowBus

I’m still experiencing pain. It’s a lot of grinding and crunching, with a little bit of time needed to get going after sitting for a while.

I mentioned a cortisone shot a month ago. That was good, but it wasn’t the solution.

My MRI is on the 28th.

I am now running about 15-20 miles per week. After two months and no improvement, how much worse could it get?

slowstepper

Anyone know about anything to do with shoulder pain ? I’ve hurt both shoulders but I’m done with surgeries etc at 58 I’ve had almost everything replaced already - I did get cortisone injections into both shoulders last summer and of course it did absolutely nothing. I do some light physical therapy. I can swing hard but absolutely can’t throw over 25% at all - any suggestions....?
Is it an impingement? pretty common , and it really restricts strength and Range of Motion. i couldn't throw at all without excruciating pain. My orthopedic surgeon went in and cleaned up around the accromium and smoothed out stuff - d it all using the scope - Micro surgery - took less than a hour - and now I have a much better range of motion and drastically reduced pain levels - now I'm working on building up the muscles that atrophied when it hurt so much to throw. (i'm 67 BTW and not to old for surgery)

blakcherry329

Soooooooo, 7 weeks into the Euflexxa gel shots, I have to say that I'm pretty disappointed in the results, thus far.
Went back to get another cortisone shot because my left knee was so bad. It seemed like it regressed after the gel shots, not progressed. The Nurse Practitioner even told me to go to a real orthopedist and get an MRI to get a better diagnosis.
Oh well. On to phase two of trying to stay on the field. ;)