Getting moved around in the batting order? Discuss

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
When I say moved I mean from top 5 to bottom 5, back and fourth. Did it ever bother you or have an effect on how you did from game to game?

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
When I get moved towards the bottom and do my job to get on base just to be left out there over and over is what bothers me.
^^^^^^^This exactly. Over my 30 plus years I was always considered a productive hitter and a top 6 guy. You know, one of those guys where you said whats he gonna do, not, I hope he gets a hit. You weren't worried about man on 3rd with 2 outs you expected me to deliver the run most of the time. This season I got moved from 3rd to 9th and all in between. For the first time it actually affected me. I guess I was used to never really looking at the book cause I knew I would be in the top 6, I would just ask who I was following. Being around the "hope they get a hit guys" really took the fun out of the game for me.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
I know all to well. I would also never look at the book, I always just want to know who I follow. I'd like to say it never effects me but it does at times effect my approach when we're struggling to score runs and thinking I'll get on again and what.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I'll go down in the batting order occasionally. It works sometimes when you want guys on base when you're up. I usually bat 3 or 4, but occasionally will hit 7th. All the times I bat 7th I end up hitting lots of 3 run HRs.

The only downside of batting down in the order is losing ABs overall during tournies. I got left on deck when our last game ended. I definitely prefer to hit higher in the order than 7th.

dunno

there is an order supposed to help the team maximize wins
7 innings is too short maybe only get to bat 2 or 3 times less at the bottom
as long as I'm not 4th ... expectations jitters

Last edited:

blakcherry329

On my regular teams, back in my prime, I always batted lower in the order just because my teams were kinda stacked. I was a good hitter but never fast, obviously. (the best I was was "fast for my size":D). My philosophy is you can be at the top of the lineup in any inning, who cares how it starts. Everyone has to hit. If everyone does their job, you'll get ABs. If I'm playing on a nosogreat team, I like to sprinkle in good hitters at the bottom of the line up to offset the bad, just so it's not automatic outs 3 or 4 batters in a row.
I don't understand the mental issues with batting lower in the order. I liked being able to sneak up on OF that would cheat in because I'm batting 7-9. I also used to take BP and slap everything oppo, just to get loose. Then I'd be dead pull in the game, with authority. lol
Leave your ego at the door if you want to win consistently.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
The difference in At-Bats is ONLY ONE for each game. Those who are in the lineup BELOW THE LAST BATTER of the game, will have ONE LESS AT-BAT than the other batters.

In a long tournament, that can affect stats, but who is more interested in their stats than the overall accomplishment of the team? (BIG EGO)

So the real question is: Is the lineup producing game-winning runs? Or, is there a better lineup to do so? The proper placement of the dead-spots can help to minimize the overall effect, but not eliminate it. But, sometimes the team roster is such that the lineup is irrelevant to the outcome. Either because most hit well no matter what -or- because there are too many dead-spots to put together enough RBIs.

%%%

ShortYellowBus

Yes. Best hitters are 1-4, no doubt.

But I have a lot of variables to consider when assembling a winning lineup. No point slowing down the fast guys by putting a fat slow guy in front of them.

Lefty-righty-lefty-righty batting order works wonderfully with the fast RH batters. Generally speaking, the lefty punches the ball deep to right field and the bases clear.

Sure, let the place hitters hit third, but if the bases are clogged by fat guys who cannot advance to home, the game might be lost.

If a guy is batting 7th and the team is winning, he doesn’t take it personally.

ELSoftballClub

Addicted to Softballfans
I think ImminentDanger, above, asks the real question of whether the team is producing runs. Softball isn't baseball where you build your lineup to give you the best chance to score some runs at some point in the game. That don't working slowpitch. Too many 0 run innings is directly relational to how many games you lose. Throw in home run limits (2 per game, 1 an inning, etc) and running speed considerations, that lineup needs to change to produce in as many innings as possible.

dunkky

I don't mind at all if it's formulated based one's skill to give the team best chance to win.. but unfortunately, i've seen it doesn't work like that more often than not. makes no sense for a guy hitting 300 to leadoff and guy with 700 hitting 9th... Can't win like that. that's why I just blank my mind and expect to win one of two and come home early in the touney. As long as i perform 6 to 700, i am happy who gives damn if team wins or not. lol

lorichie56

I don't really care where I bat personally as long as the lineup is made giving us the best chance to score runs. Typically I hit 3-4-5. The worst lineup creation Ive been part of was when the coach made the lineup in the order people arrived to the game. So many 1-2-3 first innings drove you nuts.

bimmerpilot

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lots to agree with in here.
My personal take - I have almost always hit in the 3-5 spots; not the fastest but I run the bases very efficient and smartly aggressive for someone I'd describe as old and medium-husky. I don't really mind moving down in the order to offset someone slumping or to boost runs in the odd innings. I do mind very much getting moved down and those above me are not producing; that is what will directly lead to reduction of ABs at the bottom of the lineup. That being said, I simply do not make outs (maybe 3x this season as we head into final weekend).

FFWD to these past 2 seasons - I am no longer able to run without later experiencing significant discomfort in my left ankle/heel. It's time to shut it down and visit ol' sawbones (and the VA) for corrections...

I tend to approach each AB situationally and score runners; I mean if I need to I just punch it deep so I don't need to run ;)

Last edited:

dunkky

1. Speedy
2. Consistent
3. Power
4. Decent power + speed
5. Speedy
6. Consistent
7. Power
8. Decent power + speed
9. Hope for the best
10. Hopeless
I like it but I disagree. for leadoff, consistent over speed. Speed means nothing if he hits 350 ba. I have witnessed failure of this multiple times in our E level. lol

dunkky

lol I stop there because 14, 15 sounds so sad and don't wanna make those guys feel real bad... as if it's not already so bad...

14, 15: softball is literally my life even though no team let me play. I get orgasm by watching grown men playing underthrown ball and chatting with fat ladies next to me...

Just kidding guys... lol

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
There's a perpetual struggle in softball. It seems that players are constantly moving to a another team. It's difficult to have the same core players (I mean at least 8-10) every year. For many, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

One perpetual situation - It seems like a chicken & egg quandary. Does the team hang together as friends and winning is the secondary goal? --or-- Does the team demand wins and people are just pawns to achieve that goal.

Neither choice is inherently wrong - but too many people get involved with a team without realizing their existing goal. Or, the team changes goals from one to the other and 1/2 the team is no longer interested or a right fit. A fun-oriented team finds a bit of success and then 1/2 the team perceives the other half as a liability toward more wins.

I'm sure league ball is most affected, but I think the issue follows some teams into tournament ball as well. And the number of players on the game lineup is affected by this internal struggle as well.

Adult Softball is a strange environment. My wife says it would sell as a soap opera or reality TV show with all the drama I've told her about.

This struggle for team identity is a major issue in many team lineups. Individual egos seek stroking in the right place or the coach tries to favor his long time friend(s) or the coach ignores his friendships and tries to make the best RBI team.

As the Softball Turns....