Glove bros and Tobacco

Hey guys, been gone for a while but it's good to be back. Something I've always noticed around sports, for me those being baseball, football, and softball, is smokeless tobacco. I have used either chew or dip since I was 14 years old. What about the rest of y'all? If you guys do, what are your favorites? How did you get started and what did you start with? Just curious because I find everyone has a different story. For me, I had a travel ball coach who left a bag of Redman laying around, and me and a few other guys decided to try it. I buzzed like crazy, so did my best friend, but the other guys couldn't handle it and puked. And ever since I found a way to get dip or chew. When it comes to chew, I still love my Redman but will switch it up with Leif Garrett or Beechnut every once in a while. My first dips were with Skoal Citrus but I then moved on to mint dips(which are now my least favorite), then to straight/natural dips, and now I dip copenhagen wintergreen pretty much exclusively, with the occasional grizzly tin when the stores around me are out. Any other dippers out there may miss Skoal Vanilla as much as I do though haha. But like I always say, Spit Black and Carry On.

Wally Gator

Starting Player
Started when I was in 5th or 6th grade back when a 13 year old neighborhood friend could buy from the local pharmacy. We tried everything, but I preferred regular Redman. Years later worked outside at a local country club and discovered Redman Golden Blend - my favorite. Have tried Redman Select, but always go back to Golden. Can't stand anything sweet. For me it's always been an outside addiction. I never get the urge to chew inside, but once I'm on my tractor... total satisfaction.

THESHOE

Starting Player
Much prefer redman to the snuff tins.

If I am stuck getting Skoal, my favs are Peach or the mint in the pouches which is a tough find.

For me it's a ball or sometimes golf too thing.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
I'll have whatever Tony Gwynn was having..

Sad way for one of the greats to go out.
Curt Schilling said he has no taste buds and salivary glands are out of whack from chemo.
Just cuz it doesn't stink like a cancer stick, doesn't mean it's bad. If you can stop before you get in too deep you will be better off. If you think your will power will allow you to stop if it gets bad, there is a high chance that you are mistaken.
Good luck with your journey, and be sure to brush often.

jkwoody22

League ball huer
Try some smokey mountain wintergreen helped me quit and is the closest I have found to the real thing, but allows me to have that "dip" when I'm playing

Phantomblack

Addicted to Softballfans
I'll stick to my sunflower seeds and bubble gum. The last thing I want to do is die prematurely from cancer.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
This ad flyer is at the bottom of the page. lulz

Quit Tobacco
Free resources and coaching. Enroll now to learn more.

There's actually a lot of studies out there on smokeless tobacco, and it's not as bad for you as it seems. Tony Gwynn's doctor has come out and said his cancer was not consistent with what would have come from smokeless tobacco. Now I'm not saying it's healthy by any mean because that's just idiotic. And yes LEVI not Leif, darn autocorrect.

Podo

"JewDoe"
Bad! Bad! Bad! I quit smoking after 15yrs of it at a pack a day pretty much. Went 2yrs with nothing then had a couple bridge engeneering courses 2yrs ago and stressed out on finals, grabbed a dip from a buddy to calm my nerves and never looked back. About a tin every other day and been gutting it the entire time do to my boss and wife don't want to see spit cups..... I hate the ****, but can't kick it quite yet.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
My son's 26 year old baseball coach dips and he told me his dad does too, but at age 50, he gets his mouth biopsied every year to be safe. So this coach told me that at age 40ish he'd start doing the same and just keep using until they find cancer. I didn't ask how many divots they take out of his dad's mouth each year, but in any case, THAT's dedication.

Captain10

E skills playing D Ball
I tried it with buddies on the baseball team junior year in high school. Im 27 and been doing it ever since. Started on Peach skoal and did that for two years. Messed with the berry and the cherry and all the sweet flavors. Been on wintergreen grizzly for about 8 years. Mix in some redman and bubbalicous if I need a change of pace. Unfortunately I been doing a can a day for a few years and I work in an office where I cant dip but one time during the day so that tells you how much I do it when Im not at work.

I am by no means proud of it. Tournament days I can go through a can and a half or more. Gotta dip after a meal, after a couple beers, while watching tv, whatever. Im expecting my first son any day now and hope he'll be the motivation I need to stop or at the very least cut back. Wishful thinking as I type this with a plug in right now. I envy the ball players, or anybody for that matter, who never picked up the bad habit.

Still rather be a dipper than a smoker 100 times over (no offense to any smokers).

I tried it with buddies on the baseball team junior year in high school. Im 27 and been doing it ever since. Started on Peach skoal and did that for two years. Messed with the berry and the cherry and all the sweet flavors. Been on wintergreen grizzly for about 8 years. Mix in some redman and bubbalicous if I need a change of pace. Unfortunately I been doing a can a day for a few years and I work in an office where I cant dip but one time during the day so that tells you how much I do it when Im not at work.

I am by no means proud of it. Tournament days I can go through a can and a half or more. Gotta dip after a meal, after a couple beers, while watching tv, whatever. Im expecting my first son any day now and hope he'll be the motivation I need to stop or at the very least cut back. Wishful thinking as I type this with a plug in right now. I envy the ball players, or anybody for that matter, who never picked up the bad habit.

Still rather be a dipper than a smoker 100 times over (no offense to any smokers).

I 100 percent agree on the dipping over smoking. And I go through about a tin a day as well with the same patterns. I sneak them at work when I head to the bathroom though. I never dip after I eat, but always when I have a beer, after I workout, during practices. Most people I know who tell me they want to try it I always tell them don't but if you really wanna, I always tell them to gut it the first time, and if they puke, its not for them, plus most of the time one bad experience is more then enough to get kids to stay away.

Captain10

E skills playing D Ball
Gutting it as in swallowing it? Yall can have that. Never have and never will. And I like to think I have a pretty strong stomach.

THESHOE

Starting Player
This is the second time it's been recommended to me.

I have my reasons for preferring dip or chew to gum and seeds, that stretch beyond the nicotine.

I am pretty sure I could quit dip easily with a righteous substitute of the action...

Problem is, none of the replacements will ship into Canada or to be found here. Sucks... The price of 10 tins on their site is legit considering we pay about ~$20 a tin of skoal here.

I have a hard time with the seeds while playing, and they cut up my mouth worse than dip ever did. Gum seems to work on occasion, but doesn't quite feel right. I like that you can tuck the chew or dip during plays.

Try some smokey mountain wintergreen helped me quit and is the closest I have found to the real thing, but allows me to have that "dip" when I'm playing

After going back and forth between die-hard dipping and smoking for the previous 16 years, I have been tobacco free for 13 months. I quit with Chantix, but only used it for two weeks before I stopped taking the pills. I was using a mint leaf chew as substitute and that, combined with the Chantix, seemed to work best for me. I eventually moved to sunflower seeds and then phased those out as well. I chew seeds when I'm playing ball, other than that it has been one of the best decisions I have ever made. I still think about it whenever I'm having a **** day at work or at home, but it is more of a passing thought than anything.

rommel51

VP of Jock Strap cleaning

I said I would quit when my son was born. Took me about 3 years and I finally did it. One day I said screw it im done. I went on a vacation and only brought one can hoping to not need much. Then went on another long weekend vacation and didn't have but one a day. That following monday I quit. I have had one or two dips. Chewed some redman about 5 times or so and all this has been over the course of about 2-30 months. I used smokey mountain too. I dont need the stuff anymore at all. the first 2 weeks sucked but after that it was fine.

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
After going back and forth between die-hard dipping and smoking for the previous 16 years, I have been tobacco free for 13 months. I quit with Chantix, but only used it for two weeks before I stopped taking the pills. I was using a mint leaf chew as substitute and that, combined with the Chantix, seemed to work best for me. I eventually moved to sunflower seeds and then phased those out as well. I chew seeds when I'm playing ball, other than that it has been one of the best decisions I have ever made. I still think about it whenever I'm having a **** day at work or at home, but it is more of a passing thought than anything.

Good for you position3. I used seeds as my main catalyst to quit as well. 14 years free!

Captain10

E skills playing D Ball
Congrats to all the guys that have been able to quit. I honestly believe sunflower seeds will be my main source in quitting. But like someone else said, after a few consecutive hand fulls, feels like my mouth is cut to hell, worse than with dip. And I hate chewing gum. Might have to check out this smokey mountain stuff yall been talking about.

THESHOE

Starting Player
Vaping is for a different substance ;)

As for the dip, I can live without it. It sure is a treat to have when I am out playing ball or golfing. But at no point do I feel I am missing it during a work day or when I go a few weeks without.

I try to save it for tournaments and playoffs mostly. And use gum the rest of the time.

I wouldn't call myself addicted. Moreso an afficianado when the occasion arises.

The nicotine carries a soothing calming head rush that bodes well in the game for me. But I think I would be just fine without it nor do I crave it at any time.

The Smokey substitute will have to be something I seek out and try. Sound like it might be the best of both worlds for a guy like me who isn't addicted, but takes pleasure in dipping on the field. I have tried to keep it occasional, but I find the seeds and bubble gum to be worse on my mouth at the end of the day.

Vaping cured me of both habits. Seeds when playing.

jkwoody22

League ball huer
I'm coming up on 2 years I just couldn't do it anymore in front of my daughter who is now 4 I had to just make the decision I chewed for 18 years and never smoked plus my wife is a cancer survivor and knowing what she went through finally settled in, it wasn't easy as any addiction is hard to break, I'm not a preacher, most guys I play with still do it and to each there own it's your life your decision, to me there was no better feeling than that dip in your mouth, a can a day, at work in construction, at home, all the time, now I only use smokey mountain when I play, more out of habit, and some games not at all, thankfully as of now no ramifications.

I find smokey mountain at Walmart, not a lot of places carry it

LardyBeans

Manager
I started dipping/smoking while in the military. EVERYONE did it so I followed suit. After getting out I picked up cycling as a hobby and the cigarette smoking really held me back. I quit smoking(tobacco;))just over 4 years ago using Snus packets to help with cravings. I'm not gonna lie, I miss it sometimes, especially with a beer in-hand.

Phantomblack

Addicted to Softballfans
My son's 26 year old baseball coach dips and he told me his dad does too, but at age 50, he gets his mouth biopsied every year to be safe. So this coach told me that at age 40ish he'd start doing the same and just keep using until they find cancer. I didn't ask how many divots they take out of his dad's mouth each year, but in any case, THAT's dedication.

That's insanity right there. Sounds like they are betting on eventually getting some form of cancer and finding it in the early stages. There really isn't any sign of intelligent life on this planet.

Gutting it as in swallowing it? Yall can have that. Never have and never will. And I like to think I have a pretty strong stomach.

Yeah. I still hate swallowing it, but I tell them to because it only takes one to get them most of the time but if they can handle it, then go for it